PDA

View Full Version : Enhancement Idea

Dave Labrecque
10-01-2008, 06:46 PM
I just realized that it's not uncommon for me to mark a region and mute it (in automation mode), but then have to reset the slope values to zero, cuz my default is other than zero (pop avoider for normal mid-region muting). Of course, I want them at zero in this case so that a little bit of the start of the region doesn't sneak through. I only need the first entry at zero, actually, but while it's marked, I just hit slash and enter zero, so it gets both start and end entries.

But, it seems like it would be a nice little streamlining of the work flow if there was some way to have the mute values default to zero when marking an entire region for muting.

Thoughts anyone?

I know it's not a high-priority item, but perhaps a potentially elegant detailed addition to the ergonomics? A nice bit of extra polish on our Maserati? :)

Sean McCoy
10-01-2008, 07:15 PM
Me likey.:)

Bob L
10-02-2008, 12:56 AM
You can already do that... use the shift-key when clicking the mute switch... it will always write a zero slope... this also works for fader adjustments.

As far as region based processing... its already there... just tab to the region beg and write any combination of automation you choose... it will stay with the region as you copy and paste it all over the session...

Bob L

mikebuzz
10-02-2008, 08:01 AM
This brings up a ? ( sorry to jack your thread Dave !! )
when mixing when I do a fade out ( middle of the song ) how do you get all of the faders to return to the original level's ??? without adjusting each one. :confused:

Again sorry for the thread jack Dave !!

LAter
Buzz

PS: very cool info I was not aware of !!

UpTilDawn
10-02-2008, 09:19 AM
This brings up a ? ( sorry to jack your thread Dave !! )
when mixing when I do a fade out ( middle of the song ) how do you get all of the faders to return to the original level's ??? without adjusting each one. :confused:

Easy way is to group all the relavant channels in a mixer view (blacken the channel numbers at the top of the mixer) and then adjust one of the channels back to zero.... with automation engaged, of course.

mikebuzz
10-02-2008, 09:37 AM
That works Up I guess I could always use the Master track also !!!???

Later
Buzz

KNOW BACK TO DAVE !!!

Bob L
10-02-2008, 09:49 AM
You can select channels in any mixer view and then all faders (all controls) will be temporarily ganged together... this applies when writing automation also... so... turn ON Automation Mode... select whichever channels you want and grab 1 of those faders... this will then create automation on all those releveant tracks at once.

Or, use the Main Output Track and write a single fade down and up... that will fade everything at once..

You can also assign any group of tracks... like all drum tracks... to an output group master and do the fades from there.

Bob L

Dave Labrecque
10-02-2008, 11:06 AM
You can already do that... use the shift-key when clicking the mute switch... it will always write a zero slope... this also works for fader adjustments.

As far as region based processing... its already there... just tab to the region beg and write any combination of automation you choose... it will stay with the region as you copy and paste it all over the session...

Bob L

I did not know that. Cool. Nice touch. :)

I know... RTFM.

bcorkery
10-05-2008, 09:13 PM
:) I know... RTFM. So much manual ... so little time! :o

Dave Labrecque
10-06-2008, 11:23 AM
So much manual ... so little time! :o

It's true! I got PT LE over a year ago and have yet to find the time to learn it. Mark Stebbeds -- leave me alone.

Carl G.
10-06-2008, 02:49 PM
It's true! I got PT LE over a year ago and have yet to find the time to learn it. Mark Stebbeds -- leave me alone.
I think we can ALL 'gain', by 'increasing our level'! (astute observations) :)
This is no time to 'flat top' our knowledge through 'limiting' our study of the manual. In many cases our 'threshold' of knowledge is blocked by the 'gates' of diversion. To quicken our 'attack' of response in creative situations, we must more quickly 'release' the reservoir of information contained in the manual. To then 'expand' our knowledge to it's highest 'peak' we must reach a new 'normalized' level of efficiency farther from the previous 'floor' of our operations.
(I'm Carl G. and I approve this message) :)

Dave Labrecque
10-06-2008, 03:52 PM
I think we can ALL 'gain', by 'increasing our level'! (astute observations) :)
This is no time to 'flat top' our knowledge through 'limiting' our study of the manual. In many cases our 'threshold' of knowledge is blocked by the 'gates' of diversion. To quicken our 'attack' of response in creative situations, we must more quickly 'release' the reservoir of information contained in the manual. To then 'expand' our knowledge to it's highest 'peak' we must reach a new 'normalized' level of efficiency farther from the previous 'floor' of our operations.
(I'm Carl G. and I approve this message) :)

I've never heard such distortion of the issues.

TotalSonic
10-06-2008, 07:16 PM
Don't waste your time learning the PT that you purchased.

Who needs stinking features like L & R single mono options of all stereo tracks either imported OR recorded in the session, and stupid features like a entire track actually having to be selected (and highlighted) to delete automation. Only bozos in the film, TV and music business need stupid features like that. It's so archaic, that you can't even accidentally record over something by hitting the playback spacebar.;):) And the ability to mute a region without using automation....or even having it on, is totally unnecessary.

Mark

Yup - or bounce to disc at much faster than real time - oops, PT LE don't got that -
or how about something as simple as automatic latency correction for plugins and hardware aux sends - huh, Digi Lite don't do dat -
or features like reverses without pre-rendering- oops, PT LE no can do -
or ability to use VST and DX plugins - whoops, not happening - your stuck with more expensive per average purchase RTAS -
or availability of an inexpensive plugin that allows creation of CD master layout directly in its multitrack - oops, sorry must have been thinking of SAW (in fact you can't do that in any version of PT) -
or ability to mix sound files of different bit rates and sample rates in a single session - ummm...
or ability to not have to use Digi hardware just to run a session on your laptop while away from the studio - hey - you can finally buy a $250 dongle just so you can do this - a bargain! - and real progress!
in fact it's just awesome that your PT LE license allows you to put it on 8 synched computers at the same time for, uh whoops talking about SAW again here -
and luckily you're not limited by compromised internal processing math in LE! so you really get the best possible sounding in the box mixes when using it in comparison to ummm.... -

anyway - I think we both could go on and on in this way if you want to nitpick on features that may or may not be handled as well in one app or another. Fact remains I would never use PT LE or even HD as anything other than a PT session playback device when doing mastering - where as SAWStudio fits the bill for me like a glove. Just depends on what your needs are and what your business priorities are as to which works better for you. Anyway - I think PT HD offers a darn good tracking and mixing system - but c'mon - PT LE is sorely lacking in comparison to nearly any other native DAW system out there.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

TotalSonic
10-06-2008, 09:01 PM
except you, the only mastering engineer in the universe that I'm aware of that is using SS....not that there is anything wrong with that.:)

Mark

Actually - one of at least two - got to count Pieter Stenekes (Sonoris) in there as well!!

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Carl G.
10-08-2008, 11:04 AM
But for the record....... there is a simple workaround,
Mark
PT's relatively slow bounce to disc is a real 'show stopper' in my book
They even take the time to EDIT the demo on their site showing bounce to disc feature - because of time passage :)
(no need to feel to reply - this is just a comment)