PDA

View Full Version : Deep, personal Windows irritation. XP SP3

DominicPerry
10-07-2008, 02:44 AM
I've just discovered that my long-standing 'No Sounds' windows sound-scheme has been adulterated, I think by the installation of SP3. Previously, 'No Sounds' meant no sounds. Suddenly a whole bunch of things (including Pop-Up blocker) have a sound associated with them which comes blasting through the windows default device, which for me is my main monitors. Each of the 7 new sounds needs to have it's removal done individually and confirmed. "Are you sure?". YES, I'm ******* sure!
Just a typical example of however careful you are with an upgrade, something will crop up months later and screw you.

Dominic

AcousticGlue
10-07-2008, 04:00 AM
That one I've not seen.

mOjO Fet
10-07-2008, 05:47 AM
Curious.
Nothing like that here.

Michael

UpTilDawn
10-07-2008, 07:43 AM
Any time a new software installation resets windows sounds for me, all it's taken is to set it back to no sounds.... including SP3. Must be something else going on.

DanT

DominicPerry
10-07-2008, 08:56 AM
Oh well, it wasn't SP3 then. May be it was an IE patch or something else - "virus detected" was another entry which I've never seen before which had a sound attached to it.

Dominic

UpTilDawn
10-07-2008, 11:50 AM
Do you have Windows Virus protection enabled?

DanT

DominicPerry
10-07-2008, 01:11 PM
Do you have Windows Virus protection enabled?

DanT

I have Avast, and Windows Security Centre knows that it is on. But Windows Security Centre is configured not to tell me when it's off.

Dominic

Perry
10-07-2008, 01:52 PM
I've just discovered that my long-standing 'No Sounds' windows sound-scheme has been adulterated, I think by the installation of SP3. Previously, 'No Sounds' meant no sounds. Suddenly a whole bunch of things (including Pop-Up blocker) have a sound associated with them which comes blasting through the windows default device, which for me is my main monitors. Each of the 7 new sounds needs to have it's removal done individually and confirmed. "Are you sure?". YES, I'm ******* sure!
Just a typical example of however careful you are with an upgrade, something will crop up months later and screw you.

Dominic
FWIW, I've noticed that I've had a few 'sounds' now after updating to service pack 3. It seems I did check for my 'no sounds' setting and it was still intact... but I'll check again. I'll scroll through the list and turn off those rogue sounds in any case, if necessary.

I 'had' to update for some reason to do with other software (fwiw). BUT.. I must say that another nagging problem I was having got fixed along with the upgrade... so that one goes in the 'plus' column. At least here's that! :)

And yes.. upgrades are scary... and 'THEY' will get you! Sooner or later you will comply! If 'they' don't get you one way; they'll get you another way! Arrrgh! :)

Perry
10-09-2008, 03:27 AM
FWIW, I've noticed that I've had a few 'sounds' now after updating to service pack 3. It seems I did check for my 'no sounds' setting and it was still intact... but I'll check again. I'll scroll through the list and turn off those rogue sounds in any case, if necessary.

Just to update this... I checked and in fact my 'No Sounds' setting was indeed still intact but a couple of sounds did turn on with the SP3 update in spite of that... MS snuck those in on me it appears. :) Off now! You just can't trust a computer! :rolleyes:

Perry

Perry
10-22-2008, 12:43 AM
To revisit this for a moment... and gripe some more :rolleyes:

After turning off the newly 'turned on' sounds... they came back... can't seem to completely get rid of this... still get sounds sometimes for certain things.. not too bad, but annoying.

ALSO.. I started to notice that there was a visual 'effect' happening that I had previously turned off during my initial setup of the computer... Transition Effect for Menus and Tooltips. Turned off.. it comes back.. turned off again.. back again. Don't see how to get rid of this one... guess it's here to stay now. Must be a 'VISTA' import (or export?).

Annoying.. that's TWO Annoyings! :rolleyes: Arrgggghhhh! :(

OK... gripe over for now... back to work. :)

Perry