PDA

View Full Version : OT: Bad cd burn question

UpTilDawn
10-07-2008, 12:02 PM
Is there a way to tell where in the burn process (as in which track, or whatever) a cd burn job goes bad by examining the cd after the burn fails?

I'm asking here even though this has nothing to do with SAW because I trust most everybody here to respond with useful and timely info... Thanks for the help guys (and gals).

In this particular instance, I had originally tried to have NERO 8 make an image and copy to a new cd-r using a single drive and Nero failed the burn part way through although it didn't appear to have a problem making the image.

I then ripped tracks from the original cd-r (which apparently had some playback issues) using Sound Forge 7, found that one track had skips, fixed the skipping area and re-saved all the tracks as .wav files. I then attempted to burn those tracks to a new cd-r in Nero. Two attempts failed. Finally, I pulled off three tracks I wanted in particular and burned that cd-r successfully.

This burner and Nero 8 have behaved perfectly (as have previous versions of Nero on this pc) and apparently only had issues with this one project.

Any ideas?

DanT

Pedro Itriago
10-07-2008, 12:06 PM
If you can get raw access to a cd drive and can read hex, I see no problem in doing it.

UpTilDawn
10-07-2008, 01:36 PM
Pedro, I guess I'd need a primer on both those things as I know little to nothing about them... But sounds encouraging anyway.
Thanks,
DanT

Cary B. Cornett
10-08-2008, 05:18 AM
For those of us with the Plextor Premium series burners (CD or DVD), there is a utility called PlexTools that can do certain quality checks, including c1/c2 errors. It won't take the place of the $10k test stations used by CD replication plants, but I find it very useful for detailed quality checks. In particular, the test for c1/c2 lets you get an idea of approximately where in the CD the problems are because it actually graphs error rates vs. time.

Meanwhile, with a problem source disk, ExactAudioCopy gives you the best chance of a "clean" image, or at least the fewest possible errors because when errors are found it will attempt multiple reads of problem areas.

Pedro Itriago
10-08-2008, 11:30 AM
Are we talking about failed burns or burn with errors?

UpTilDawn
10-08-2008, 03:55 PM
I was talking about ONE failed burn..... although Cary's advice is appreciated.

DanT

... as were yours Pedro.....