PDA

View Full Version : OT: I've got an article in Radio World

CurtZHP
10-07-2008, 02:19 PM
Hey y'all!

I just had an article published in the latest issue of Radio World.

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/newbay/rw_20081008/ (http://www.msplinks.com/MDFodHRwOi8vd3d3Lm54dGJvb2suY29tL254dGJvb2tzL25ld2 JheS9yd18yMDA4MTAwOC8=)

Page 30.

Tim Miskimon
10-07-2008, 03:04 PM
Bad link.

Mountain Media
10-07-2008, 04:24 PM
Link worked for me. :confused:

Angie
10-07-2008, 04:34 PM
Looks like the link as posted may have gotten hijacked. It directs to a myspace "this link has been removed" page.

When I entered the address directly, it worked just fine.

Congrats, Curt!

Cary B. Cornett
10-08-2008, 05:29 AM
I can't get through to it either. Nearest approach asked for a sign-in. Any chance of re-posting a corrected direct link to the article?

DominicPerry
10-08-2008, 05:46 AM
You can't click on the link in the post, you must copy and paste it into your browser.

Dominic

Naturally Digital
10-08-2008, 07:05 AM
Good article Curt. Congratulations!

Bob L
10-08-2008, 07:11 AM
I fixed the link in the original message.

Bob L

CurtZHP
10-08-2008, 10:22 AM
Thanks Bob!

Ian Alexander
10-08-2008, 10:35 AM
Link worked for me since the fix. Looks like a great upgrade/rebuild and a nice article.

Cary B. Cornett
10-08-2008, 01:39 PM
That article makes me feel so OLD!! I left broadcasting in 1988, when most spots and music were still on carts (CD music was transferred to cart for broadcast), and an air studio still had at least one turntable. That programming now plays from hard disk is no surprise, but after working with SawStudio so long I was a little taken aback to see a physical console with faders... looked kind of strange. I would think it ought to be possible to do the whole shebang In The Box. One computer, maybe two displays (one for copy to be read, etc.), and a second machine on "hot standby". Why should anything else be necessary?? :cool::rolleyes:

CurtZHP
10-09-2008, 11:31 AM
I would think it ought to be possible to do the whole shebang In The Box. One computer, maybe two displays (one for copy to be read, etc.), and a second machine on "hot standby". Why should anything else be necessary?? :cool::rolleyes:

In a word, redundancy. The beauty of most broadcast consoles is that you can actually repair them while they are running. Also, if for some crazy reason the computer craps out, you still have other sources of audio to fall back on.

Worst case scenario, our station can switch to the backup studio seamlessly; because it has a completely self contained automation system that mirrors our main system. It runs 24/7 as a hot standby.

Cary B. Cornett
10-10-2008, 07:26 AM
In a word, redundancy. The beauty of most broadcast consoles is that you can actually repair them while they are running. And what does a console like that cost?? Unless professional broadcast consoles have gotten a lot cheaper than they were 20 years ago, you could probably build at least 3 complete computer systems for less than the cost of a single console, each computer running, say, SAC, and you could have a couple of Behringer BCF2000's (on in use, one for backup) for less than $500. For about double that, you could pick up a couple of used CM Audio MOTORMIX units (probably better suited to heavy use). Basically, you move away from time-consuming repairs to quick modular swap-outs to solve problems. Granted, the hardware is not as pretty, but if you keep backup spares on hand the total operating cost is probably a good bit less.
Also, if for some crazy reason the computer craps out, you still have other sources of audio to fall back on.

Worst case scenario, our station can switch to the backup studio seamlessly; because it has a completely self contained automation system that mirrors our main system. It runs 24/7 as a hot standby. Since a backup computer is not all that expensive these days, it is probably cost-competitive with other backup setups if you set things up right. And in terms of spares availability, imagine having better than 80% of your system able to be replaced using parts available at any decent computer store! Oh, and did I mention that the more you move to "generic" hardware, the cheaper replacements get? :cool:

CurtZHP
10-10-2008, 10:23 AM
Most of them are modular and hot swappable already. There are some newer consoles that are actually just control surfaces, with the audio routing and mixing happening in a rack mount device back in the equipment room.

Hmmmmm...... I seem to remember some guy having a similar idea once.

;)

soundtrack2life
10-12-2008, 07:57 AM
Very cool article. Plus I really enjoyed the "virtual" interface. That was the first time I every saw that on the web. Also thumbs up on the rebuild:cool:
Joe