PDA

View Full Version : SAC to SAW recording at same time as SAW to SAC playback

Mogers
10-07-2008, 05:24 PM
Hi Bob

I'm preparing for my first major SAC outing, and I've been asked to do the following:

(1) Playback some premixed surround material during the show - with full start/stop/locate control by me at the FOH position. This would best be done, I guess, by playing a SAW EDL, with lots of XY-pan swirling automation. The 6 outputs from SAW would then be routed into 3 stereo inputs in SAC, and sent off to the 6 surround speakers. Control would ideally be done using my Frontier Tranzport.

(2) Record the entire show, in full unprocessed multitrack, for subsequent editing and mixing. This would best be done using the SAC to SAW link.

The thing is - can both of these be done at the same time? Can I run 2 instances of SAW - one for the playback, which will start and stop and jump around, and another that will just keep on recording? Does the SAC<->SAW link allow feeds to and from different SAW instances?

If this can't be done, I'm wondering if I could use the RME Digicheck record function to do the recording, and only have SAW for the playback. But Digicheck will only pick up the ASIO inputs, and therefore won't get the SAW playbacks.

Or maybe I could use a surround capable VST-instrument sample playback thing to fire off the existing recordings instead of playing via SAW. Is there such a VSTI?

Any ideas?

cheers
Mark

Bob L
10-07-2008, 07:15 PM
Personally... you are asking a lot there... you better have a pretty awesome and stable system...

I would probably do it by using a separate laptop or other SAW playback system connected into the SAC system... and then use a SAC-Link SAW running on the SAC system for recording.

You will not be able to use a SAC-Link between the same SAC and two SAW instances on the same machine.

You could use the second SAW instance on the same machine without the SAC-Link and just reserve the 6 chans of audio device for the surround playback and actually loop cables around into SAC inputs.

Bob L

Iain Westland
10-08-2008, 12:44 AM
sounds like your tracking a band in a studio to me, if you have saw full then you can record into the same edl as you are playing from, more than enough channels there.

Iain

sebastiandybing
10-08-2008, 02:37 AM
Hi Bob
This is a good reason for SAC to have a simple playback system build in:D
Sebastian

mOjO Fet
10-08-2008, 03:13 AM
Hey Mark, do you have Totalmix? Since you mentioned RME Digicheck.

If yes, you could easily "patch" a second instance of SAW into SAC via Totalmix.

Michael

Mogers
10-08-2008, 01:49 PM
Hi Michael

Great idea! Thank you. I'll have a play when I've got a moment and try it out.

Though I'm not sure if it will work with this project, because the current plan is to use all 36 inputs of the RME RayDat card for live sources - and I'll need to drop 6 of these for the SAW playback Totalmix loopbacks. Big production meeting tomorrow where we will be finalising the line list, so I'll let you know.

Once again, thanks for the idea.

cheers
Mark