PDA

View Full Version : How would you do this?

Steve L
10-09-2008, 05:33 AM
I have a sound company that called and needs a setup for a church as follows.
Mixing for radio/TV
Recording the service
Streaming the audio to a radio station exactly 1/2 hour later while continuiing
to mix and record the service.
Marantz makes a hardware device to do this but I wondered if a combination of SAC and SAWStudio would do it.
Steve L.
Audio-Video Electronics
Mountain View Recording

HapHazzard
10-09-2008, 06:12 AM
Streaming the audio to a radio station exactly 1/2 hour later while continuing
to mix and record the service. Steve L.
Audio-Video Electronics
Mountain View RecordingYou were doing fine until you got to here. Almost sounds like you'd have to have a few SAWs working at one time. When the first SAW gets to the 1/2 hr mark it would have to be switched to stream while another continues to record with marks at where the first one left off to continue the stream and a third to record the whole service. SAC could provide all the feeds through the other virtual consoles from as many remotes as required. FOH, IEM, Remote TV, Radio Stream and so on.

As for who is recording all this, it would be splitter city. I would think you would want all channels to go to all hubs, FOH, Remote and Radio. So...

Just for audio
One rack
"Real" Splitter 1 x 3 per channel with transformers
3 PCs
And as many ADA's as you can afford.

You'd be real close to a MADI rig. (http://www.rme-audio.de/images/products/en_madi_center_live.gif)
Ouch!:eek:

You got the stuff SS and SAC. Just got to think outside the box.

Hap

ffarrell
10-09-2008, 07:43 AM
Ok a SAC- SAW will do everything save the stream. I would use a dat or 2nd track into a a 2nd saw rig of the live to HD mix then just play back the 2 track feed to the outbound stream.
The stream could be the recording of a console from SAC

thanks
fvf

Mixing for radio/TV
Recording the service
Marantz makes a hardware device to do this but I wondered if a combination of SAC and SAWStudio would do it.
Steve L.
Audio-Video Electronics
Mountain View Recording

Naturally Digital
10-09-2008, 10:32 AM
Mixing for radio/TV
Recording the service
Steve L.
Audio-Video Electronics
Mountain View RecordingFor the delay, could you use a DVD/hard disc recorder (like used for your home TV aka timeslipping)? Most of these machines will record and playback one program at the same time IIRC.

Bob would have to chime in as to whether two instances of SAWStudio could both have the same (2trk) wav file open, one for record and one for playback. IOW, use one instance to start recording and then 1/2hr later open the file (that's still being recorded) and start playback from the beginning.

Bob L
10-09-2008, 11:45 AM
Not a good idea to open the same file for playback that is still being actively written... a wav file header is not completed till the file is closed from write... therefore data pointer info is incorrect the whole time the file is open for writing.

Bob L

MMP
10-09-2008, 12:40 PM
So, how much memory would you need for a 1/2 hour stereo digital delay @44.1k ? Seems like about 300 meg to me...just need the program that can do it.

Regards,

MM

Trackzilla
10-09-2008, 10:04 PM
what about scheduled 30 second pauses to refresh the technology? that might work out well for the radio station anyway...I used to do that often back in the age of ADATs.
Or...mirror the recording to more than one stereo channel, Start one recording, in 25 minutes, start the second & stop the first, send the first to the player for the Radio feed, repeat as necessary.
Both of these are manual solutions that require attention and a sense of timing. But someone clever could probably write a command script to automate the whole process of the second one.
__________________________________________________ _______________
Or as a last ditch, try Augustus Loop VST from Expert Sleepers, it has a bunch of features you'll distinctly NOT want to use, but it's max delay time is an hour. But remember, you won't be able to stop the recorder until the desired delayed playback is done lol

sebastiandybing
10-10-2008, 01:19 AM
Its easy, just patch 60x30 delays set at 1 sec each on a group;)

Sebastian

mako
10-10-2008, 02:14 AM
Hmmm - interesting thread.

Thanks

mako

MMP
10-10-2008, 06:01 AM
Here is software that will do an hour delay:

http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/augustusloop.html

Regards,

MM

Steve L
10-10-2008, 08:02 AM
Nifty little program. Thanks, I may buy it just to play around with it. It uses RAM for delay so a 1/2 hour delay would use .6 G or so of RAM .... doable.
You could put the delay on the output and still record and mix live with SS. I don't know how that would work with SAC.
Steve L.
Audio-Video Electronics
Mountain View Recording

mako
10-15-2008, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the link, some interesting programs here.

cheers

mako