PDA

View Full Version : Videos of SAC/SAW recording

Bruce Callaway
10-13-2008, 01:30 PM
Here is a link to some pretty grainy and "still" videos of me recording live demos of a band called The Fuel Economy using SAC for FOH vocals with SAW in a practice room. The sound is after being mixed in SAW of course. You can see my laptop and the odd glimpse of me in the track called "Song for me". The videos were done just for fun......

http://au.youtube.com/user/TheFuelEconomny

mako
10-13-2008, 11:55 PM
Nice job Bruce - I particularly liked the songs and treatment on your own site.

Good stuff.

cheers

mako

bcorkery
10-14-2008, 10:52 AM
Bruce thanks for sharing. Sounds great and the room looks like the officers' quarters from M*A*S*H* with an extreme makeover! :)

Bruce Callaway
10-15-2008, 01:50 AM
Bruce thanks for sharing. Sounds great and the room looks like the officers' quarters from M*A*S*H* with an extreme makeover! :)Hehehe Thanks guys, yes the room was something to behold, perhaps a left over set from "12 Monkeys" or similar :D One got the feeling that metal bands were regular clients.....

DominicPerry
10-15-2008, 03:24 AM
Hey Bruce, sorry to criticise, but I was busy enjoying one of your tracks and realised that there was no bass guitar! I went back to my proper monitoring and it was there, but through computer speakers, the bass is just missing from On The Corner. I've never noticed this total 'missing instrument' thing on other youtube vids, so I'm guessing you've mixed it to work on full range speakers and taken all the top frequencies out of the bass guitar and if the speakers don't reach down, then there's no sound. Maybe someone else can confirm.

Otherwise, good stuff, thanks.

Dominic

Bruce Callaway
10-15-2008, 01:00 PM
No problem Dominic and you are correct. I mixed this to be played on CD as a demo for them to get work. The assumption is the CD would be played on a system that would adequately reproduce the bottom end. The videos were put together by the band as an after thought with my mixes added.

You raise an interesting point as I do not mix bottom end for inbuilt computer speakers. I do use my laptop speakers to check balances for instruments and vocals. I guess this goes back to the old days where I generally used Auratones for final mixing once the bottom end was under control on the larger monitors. Now that computers are ubiquitous, should we ensure mixes also work on tinny speakers, sounds like the old "mixing for transistor radio" angle.

DominicPerry
10-15-2008, 01:23 PM
Bruce,

I never mixed in the analogue only days, and I don't do anything commercial, so I'm not advising, just commenting, but my guess is that analogue EQs just couldn't strip all the HF out of a signal like a modern plug-in can. I don't know what the answer is though.

Dominic

mako
10-23-2008, 03:47 PM
G'day Bruce - just wondering if you recorded the drums in one pass or overdubbed the crashes.

Thanks

mako

Bruce Callaway
10-25-2008, 01:32 PM
G'day Bruce - just wondering if you recorded the drums in one pass or overdubbed the crashes.

Thanks

makoHi Dennis, it was all in one pass with a very simple microphone setup - kick, snare and overheads.

mako
10-25-2008, 08:21 PM
Well done - thanks Bruce.

mako