PDA

View Full Version : 1st Show with SAC - definite thumbs up

txshonk
10-19-2008, 11:37 AM
So I voluntered to run sound for a band I used to play with using SAC. The show was last night. SAC worked great. I loved being able to just walk around with a laptop and mix from anywhere.

Didnt use my Behringer BCF2000s, but when I use the PC rig and I am playing/running sound from stage I will definitely use them. I could see pointing and clicking while playing a live show a bit harder then running the sliders.

Audio performance was rock solid. My machine is an XP machine with 4 gig 800 mHz RAM and a Q6600 processor ran at 2.4 gHz (I usually have it overclocked at 3.2gHz) with an RME HDSP 9652. CPU usage was 60% with 12 ins at 2X64 buffers - and 5 mixes. I was running the Waves Renaisannce reverb on all 5 mixes.

Only SAC comment I have is I sure wish accessing plug ins was a capability through SAC remote. It was a minor inconvienence the few times I hadda mess with my plugs and had to switch to VNC, but being I would keep VNC up to view the RME Total Mix on the Host Machine to make sure none of the INs were clipping as guitar players turn up through the night - I definitely am not going to sweat it.

And any problems werent with SAC - the band has a Presonus Firestudio and Digimax FS in their rack they use to record shows and Ii figured I could easily just ADAT into my RME card. Wrong - I had routing issues running the Firestudio software I had to work through.

Bob L
10-19-2008, 11:59 AM
Good news on your first use success... it is fun isn't it? :)

You might consider just recording the show direct into SAWStudioLite or Full on the SAC host machine with no need to route signals anywhere... the SAC-Link function does the job with ease.

You also might consider using less cpu intensive verbs... or use one verb in the FOH mixer and use Pst Fdr taps on the monitor verb returns... that would help lessen your cpu load considerably.

Also, using Pst Eq taps on monitors and feeding off the FOH eq wil lessen loads a bit, without having to duplicate eq on monitor mixes.

Bob L

txshonk
10-19-2008, 12:13 PM
Bob -

Completely agree with all you said.

I ran all monitors in Pre Fader - played around with using the reveb from FOH - gets a little funny when someone doesnt want someones vocal in their monitor but the verb on that channel is feeding through. I know my big resource hog is my Waves plugs, but I figure until i start really choking my box I am good and dont need to switch to another plug. When I ran the same setup overclocked it was only at 40% CPU, but being Id love to go laptop for the host I wanted to run the CPU at 2.4 to see what kind of performance I got.

As far as recording with SS. I have downloaded the SS/MWS demos and I am watching the SS Videos DVD - I am figuring Ill be a convert soon - but before I sink the $1500 and abandon Nuendo just want to be sure.

Thanks for all your work on SAC.

Bob L
10-19-2008, 01:45 PM
Take your time... explore the demos for a while... the design concepts are quite different from what you are used to... but... the performance, audio quality and overall interface ideas can be quite a joy ride once you go with the design flow and start to find a comfort zone. :)

Bob L