PDA

View Full Version : Controlling SAW via MIDI?

Marvin
10-22-2008, 06:14 AM
Hi all

Promised to get back to a client ASAP, so I thought that I'd throw out the question here, while I RTFM :)

What I want to do:
Play songs & jingles from a laptop. The Start command comes from a console (fader start) via midi. When the song reaches end, SAW should stop, preload, and wait for the next cue.

I've used Show Control with success before, is that the way to go? Or just load the songs in the same edl, and put some kind of Start/Stop commands on the control track? Or some other way?

What kind of MIDI command could I expect from a console's fader start? Done some reading now, and if it's a Note On command, I'm probably in the clear. But what if it's, say, a Program Change command? Can SAW react to that as well?

Thankful for any input!

// Marvin

Marvin
10-22-2008, 06:34 AM
Read even more now :) and for example the Yamaha 02R seems to send a Note On midi command from it's fader start. Is this common on other consoles as well?

In Show control, when selecting Midi Trigger, it seems like each Midi Note can only be selected once? What if the desk sends a "C5 Note On" on each fader start? If I understand correctly (I probably don't...) I can only assign C5 to one entry in the Show control?

// Marvin

Marvin
10-22-2008, 06:44 AM
reading reading reading...

Is "Global Play Midi Trigger" what I'm looking for? I think the Control Track would be the best solution. Putting all songs/jingles back to back down the timeline, and add a "Stop / Preload" command on the control track at the end of each song? Then when the fader start command arrives (let's say it's a Note On C5), the "Global Play Midi Trigger" has been set to C5, thus starting playback? When the song ends, SAW reaches a "Stop / Preload" command, and so on?

Feel free to correct me, or suggest better ways!

// Marvin

Bob L
10-22-2008, 06:48 AM
What you want to use is a small midi keyboard to send different note-ON or note-OFF commands for each cue point.

You can place different songs down the timeline and jump in sequence or randomly to start any song playback with each cue point being assigned to a different midi note-ON.

Or you can use a single global midi Note-ON to start and stop playback at the current cursor point... so when the song reaches its end, SAW can cue to the next location and wait for the global play command and then go.

Bob L

Marvin
10-22-2008, 12:04 PM
ok, thanks! It will be interesting to try this!