PDA

View Full Version : First Gig with SAC as improoved aviom alternative

bjoern
10-23-2008, 06:52 AM
I am in a Band with 5 musicans and 4 singers,
all 5 musicans are equipped with in ear monitors, the problem has
always been that for so many monitor mixes (5 +1 for the floor wedges for the singers) it was not possible for the foh guy to give us exactly the mix we wannted especially given the fact that this mix should change with different songs. I came across SAC and even if its primary goal is not what I use it for, it does a havently job for us.... each musican has a litte eeePC like computer which runs SAC remote and each musican now can mix his own monitor sound
live, and even define a scene for each song. I cant describe how happy i am,
I have done too many gigs in the past without hearing what i needed to hear.
We have done our first SACified GIG this we, no problems at all.
thank you so much Bob.

Bob L
10-23-2008, 08:23 AM
Good news...

Now... its time for the FOH engineer to get in the loop. :)

Bob L

mako
10-23-2008, 03:38 PM
Good news...

Now... its time for the FOH engineer to get in the loop. :)

Bob L

What? invite him on stage too :) :) :)

Good stuff bjoern

mako

Bob L
10-23-2008, 04:04 PM
Nope... keep him out front with his own remote.

Bob L

Mountain Media
10-24-2008, 03:22 AM
.... each musican has a litte eeePC like computer which runs SAC remote and each musican now can mix his own monitor sound
live, and even define a scene for each song.

Wondering what eeePC 'like' setup you might be using? For a monitor mix use, does this setup give enough video resolution to be easily usable?

Good to hear it's working well for you! :D

bjoern
10-27-2008, 06:03 AM
I use HP 2133, they have a native resolution of 1280*768. But one of the musicans will buy an eepc, there is an "alternative driver" out there that does
1024x768, and for us it is enough to see the 16 channels we're using

Bj***246;rn

Bruce Callaway
10-27-2008, 04:22 PM
I can't wait to see a show where everyone on stage is mixing their monitors (with video screens glowing) instead of entertaining the audience. Sounds like Kraftwerk :)

ffarrell
10-27-2008, 11:50 PM
I would not want to see the main dude or duddette mixing but I see side men mess with mixers and other bits all time.

ie Guitar pedal boards.

It's where we've come I think.

Big acts of course should keep it clean if you can

Kraftwerk and Rick Wakeman with his moog realtime patching.

Some would say having separate monitor mixes changed the way bands play together or to the point not together.

things to ponder
fvf

I can't wait to see a show where everyone on stage is mixing their monitors (with video screens glowing) instead of entertaining the audience.

I think the power of the software is brilliant....but get a guy offstage to drive it.;)

I don't want to pay money to see entertainers distracted by technology.:o

Mark

bjoern
10-28-2008, 09:00 AM
I can't wait to see a show where everyone on stage is mixing their monitors (with video screens glowing) instead of entertaining the audience.

I think the power of the software is brilliant....but get a guy offstage to drive it.;)

I don't want to pay money to see entertainers distracted by technology.:o

Mark

Are you a musician ? You know our days it is already reality even with big acts that almost every musician has his pc on stage.

Guitarists have their Amp simulations (Guitar Rig for example) allowing them to travel with a notebook instead of tons of rack gear

Keyboarder/pianists have their virtual organs/sampled pianos etc (I am one of those and taking a real concert grand with me on stage is not really an option)

drummers have their pads with sampled stuff in addition to their akkoustik drums.

In our days you will hardly find a Major act where the stage is computer free..

DominicPerry
10-28-2008, 12:06 PM
I look forward to Mark's reply to the first question :p;).

As for all the other stuff, that's probably why so much music sounds c*** these days. Too much fiddling with kit.

Dominic

Mountain Media
10-28-2008, 02:00 PM
...... and has distracted from the musical interaction of individual musicians to make the whole arrangement.

Having individual monitor mixes on stage controlled by the musicians adds to the distraction, in my opinion. That's a different conversation than a keyboardist or drummer calling up his samples for the next song, or a pedal board to kick on the wah-wah.

I call 'em as I see 'em. :)(American baseball umpire jargon in honor of the rained out World Series)

Mark

First, Mark, I agree that much of the 'technology' can be de(dis)tracting from the whole arrangement.

Second, per the Title of this thread 'aviom alternative' - the Aviom/Hear onstage setups are, as distracting as a small PC would be, doing the same job -- and they are EVERYWHERE in concerts and live performances already. :)

Warren
10-28-2008, 03:00 PM
An Aviom is a great tool for the FOH engineer that needs to off load the monitor mixing duties off to (sort of) trust the musician. It slightly empowers the musician as well as placates them, but not all are comfortable with the idea of mixing there feeds.

SAC is light years ahead in its capabilities and learning curve, compared to Aviom. But I would dump the Aviom in a heart beat, and place a monitor engineer at stage side or run monitors from FOH before ever going back to an analog desk, digital desk or Aviom.

SAC is much more powerful and less expensive as well.
I love the way SAC and SAW link to concatenate the complete Live and Recording packages together.

Soon, I bet other software companies will see the awe inspiring capabilities that Bob has incorporated into these two fine tools, and then other type of software console systems will flood the market. I don’t think they will compare to what we have now.

It’s nice to be spoiled! :D

Thanks again Bob

Warren

Pedro Itriago
10-29-2008, 04:22 AM
I guess something along the lines of what you said was told to Keith Emerson about having a modular on stage. Or Geddy Lee about having synths. Then again, Keith Emerson's & the like are not born that often. And if a comparison about yesteryears music to today's is any indication, people like them are being born farther appart (or not being taken into musical consideration).

What I'm trying to say is, if a musician is capable of doing it onstage, power to him.