PDA

View Full Version : ExpressCard 54 - PCMCIA Adapter?

Jesse
10-24-2008, 07:20 PM
Hi, i have an Echo Indigo DJ Cardbus, but i want to use it on my new laptop with ExpressCard 54 slot, any recommendations in a specific Adapter so i can use it without too much latency?

i don't know if this kind of adapters have latency or maybe they are "invisible" to the cardbus like if the echo were an expresscard natively?

Jesse G.

IraSeigel
10-24-2008, 08:24 PM
I asked this question a couple of weeks ago but didn't get an answer. I hope you do!!

Ira

Jesse
10-24-2008, 09:42 PM
Thanks Ira! :)

anyone having a similar problem?

I don't know if Bob have dealt with this kind of problem or maybe heard of a specific brand or model that can work very good with a cardbus soundcard :)

I did a google search and found a lot of brands and i don't know which one to choose, that's why i'm asking for any recommendation. :)

Bob L
10-25-2008, 12:20 AM
Never used any conversion like that... the last laptop I tried had an xpress slot and we tried an RME Xpress card... never could get stable low latency SAC performance though... and had to give it up and move to a desktop.

Hopefully that had nothing to do with the RME... never did figure out what on the laptop was casuing the dropped buffers.

Bob L

Jesse
10-26-2008, 04:08 AM
Thanks Bob! :)

Well, searching a little i think i have a winner here a duel systems adapater:

http://sewelldirect.com/Express-Card-to-PCMCIA-Adapter.asp

in the Customer Questions section, the question number 4 says this adapter was tested with an Echo Indigo, so i'm gonna give a try and i'll post the results here :)

Harold Thompson
10-26-2008, 06:57 PM
I have this, and it works just fine with the RME Cardbuss adapter. Should work with most cardbuss adapters.

Harold Thompson

Jesse
10-26-2008, 08:33 PM
Thanks Harold

I already made the decision to buy this adapter and now with your comment i think it's the way to go :cool:

Jesse
11-24-2008, 03:06 AM
After testing the DuelSystems adapter with my Acer Laptop (5920) and the Echo Indigo DJ CardBus here are the results:

And I have good news and bad news,

The good news are the Echo Indigo it's working great with this adapter, my laptop recognized everything, the installation of the drivers were easy.

The bad news are you can't get low latency with ASIO for using like a live virtual synth, you get a lot of glitchy sound, i think this is a problem with the Echo Indigo DJ drivers and not with the adapter.

if you are doing only playback of audio for DJ purposes this combo is working great and i have a background noise below -100 db :eek: the playback it's clearly noise free, maybe this have to do with the nature of the adapter because you have the CardBus sound card outside of the laptop.

Well, i hope these results help others to make a decision, for now it's not a big deal for me because i already have a desktop system for using like a live synth and right now i'm testing SAC with a Desktop / RME PCI combo, so i'll be using that laptop for playback only :)

Jesse