PDA

View Full Version : where'd my meters go? *sniff, whimper*

Trackzilla
10-25-2008, 08:19 PM
running SAC on one of the new test boxes for the second day now. First, WOW what a difference having an ample computer makes!
BUT, on firing up the rig today, my metering has vanished. Audio passes normally, SAC still has full control, everything else seems to work fine...but no meters...anywhere...no signal/gain reduction...nuttin. :(

I had all my meters last night.

Checked to see that meters were selected as active in all views, (toggled em back off & on again) tried different meter tap points & response times, tried closing & restarting SAC, tried rebooting, tried force realtime priority on a lark (which blue screened me lol), all to no avail.

This happen to anyone else?
any ideas?

DominicPerry
10-26-2008, 04:18 AM
Something along these lines happened in a pre-release version of SAC, but Bob fixed it. Perhaps you could try turning the Windows Video Trobleshooting slider down a notch or two, although I can't see why it would work and then not work.

For XP,

Right click on the empty desktop, choose Properties. Click on the settings tab. Don't click on Troubleshoot - it's the wrong one! Click Advanced. Now choose the troubleshoot tab. The slider is in there.

Dominic

Bob L
10-26-2008, 07:35 AM
Are you running the current 1.2 version?

Bob L

Trackzilla
10-28-2008, 03:04 PM
Well the problem has been traced to the monitor resolution override function.

I have been using two monitors, vertically oriented, with the primary monitor on bottom.
When I fire up SAC, it always tries to make my primary monitor on top of my secondary, and use the combined resolution of them both. since I lay mine out the other way, it puts half of the display on the bottom. if I override the default resolution it brings the whole display to the primary screen, allowing me to then drag things to where I need them, but loses meters in the process.

tested the same scenario on a second box with a different 'everything' about the hardware to see if it was a directly hardware related problem, same results.
Obviously now that I know I can work around it by setting up my monitor orientation differently, but it sure took me a while to discover just where the problem lay, and it does point to a bug in the resolution override function...

(btw, that was the problem with the meters on the test I did earlier with the elcheapo STA C-Port card...it's meters are also functional, once I stop using the override.)

Trackzilla
10-28-2008, 03:18 PM
and...probably an indicator that I was being a moron, if you set those resolutions overrides then save them as default preferences, everything is fine, it comes up on one screen, and the meters work.
I will now patiently await my flogging for missing the obvious. :eek:

And, yes, if you do that, be aware that your Fmixer will only stretch to simultaneously display however many channels will fit on that new default horizontal resolution, even if you drag it onto a larger secondary monitor lol.

Bob L
10-28-2008, 03:28 PM
Of course it will... that is the idea of the resolution override... it limits the size of the screen res as far as SAC is concerned.

Also... it does not checking to trap non compatible layouts... so its up to you to make sure everything fits correctly and then save the prefs.

Glad you figured it out... I was stumped on what else could have been blocking the meters. :)

Bob L