PDA

View Full Version : 3 questions...

sinisabl
11-02-2008, 11:50 AM
Thanks Bob for suggestions. I learn and study help carefuly and find that MWS have all midi stuff and tools like cubase PT and other.:).but l have three questions. 1.which sound card you recommend between LYNX and RME for compatibility with SS or both works well? 2.which way is better(sonic quality and your recommend) to record vst instruments to audio track?process mixdown-mix to current hot track(without playing), or classic recording rec button while midi track play thry vst instrument? 3.all vstfx work well via .ini path but l have problem with waves plugins.dx plug is ok but waves vst when l make .ini path for waveshell in notepad(C:\Program Files\VstPlugins\WaveShell-VST_5.9.6.dll and name it WaveShell-VST_5.9.6 and put in SS vst plugin folder) SS report some trouble instantiating.do you any suggest?and do any sonic quality and other difference between DX and VST version some plugin(waves ssl dxfx and waves ssl vstfx)?

best regard

Bob L
11-02-2008, 12:58 PM
Both Lynx and RME cards have been great. RME seems to be the favorite choice for multi-channel systems. The drivers have been consistently great.

I personally work with VST synths by using the midi to compose and then immediately mix the vsti sound to a track as a wave file... dry.

Then I later mix the entire project as if it was live audio tracks, using verb, compression, eq, etc.

Not sure what the waves shell is supposed to do... is it a shell to make a DX plug into a VST plug? or the other way around?

Bob L

TotalSonic
11-02-2008, 03:01 PM
On native systems Waves Shell is simply a VST wrapper for Waves' DX plugins so that apps that don't support DX can load them. I've personally always had problems with Waves Shell so I simply use the DX versions in SAWStudio - which since this is what the plugins are natively should give you better performance and stability than using the VST versions.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Bob L
11-02-2008, 06:27 PM
If this shell is attempting to house many plugins under one roof... this would not work with the ini link. That link expects to see an actuall VST dll plugin at the destination location that it can load in Windows with a dll loading function.

Bob L

sinisabl
11-03-2008, 04:00 AM
If this shell is attempting to house many plugins under one roof... this would not work with the ini link. That link expects to see an actuall VST dll plugin at the destination location that it can load in Windows with a dll loading function.

Bob L

yes Bob.that is right definition what waves shellvst is.l am not shure that shellvst is wrapper dx to vst.this is only link that used to house many plugins under one roof.when install waves bundle pack only what is in folder vst plugins is some wave_shell.dll.and from some DAW like cubase samplitude etc under vst plugins there is only wave shell there is link to many plugins.if wave shell only dx to vst wrapper why waves API plugins I can,t found under dx plugins when install but correctly import in DAW via wave shell link under DAW vst plugins?anyway waves API collection plugins is not dx there only vst version and only way to import to DAW is via wavesshell.but I solve this problem under SS.there is little command prompt program named shell2vst.this program create for each shell plugin separate vst folder and all plugins.the created vsts can be used in hosts which do not support shell vst properly.only you must to do is drag shell.dll from your vst plugins folder onto shell2vst.exe to create and repack vsts plugins.and scan with Saw_vst_ini tool to create .ini path and you can used all waves plugins in SS like all other vst plugins in green colour.:)great stuff.

Bob do MWS have click in metronom like cubase.and if not do you plan to import this in next version update?l think that is important for midi recording and easer than always create click conductor track or used JMS click and must import like plugin.l think if you add in next version update only one button in MWS tools named ''click'' off and on it will be great.

best regard

sinisabl
11-03-2008, 05:53 AM
I personally work with VST synths by using the midi to compose and then immediately mix the vsti sound to a track as a wave file... dry.

Bob L

but I found that be two way to convert vsti to wav.first way-simply mixdown from mixdown panel selected vsti linked to midi track.second way- record vsti (like record external live imput) used record button while midi track linked to vsti playing.which way you prefer and sugesst when you finish compose in MWS and you wish finally to convert and save your midi work compose via vsti in wav?

Bob L
11-03-2008, 10:21 AM
I see no reason to live record a VST synth unless it misbehaves with the buildmix function... some do... otherwise, I use the buildmix to hottrack function. I select only the midi track and vst synth track... test the playback to make sure I am hearing only the sound I want to convert... then use the buildmix to hottrack to create the midi sound as audio on a new track... not the same track as the plugin.

The click/conductor track, once properly setup to your favorite click or drum sound is much more powerful, in my opinion than the typical metronome click. You can create complex click tracks instantly with one click, and then you can edit sections on and off where appropriate... or just mute the track when you no longer need to hear it.

Bob L