PDA

View Full Version : Marking and copying data in the MT

Dave Labrecque
11-10-2004, 11:33 AM
Bob,

When marking part of a region entry and alt-clicking on it in preparation to copy/paste to a new location, the outlined "ghost region" is longer than the marked area. Any way to make it the same length? This would help in estimating placement for the drop. E.g., if I want to evenly space it between two other entries, like in VO editing.

andy cross
11-10-2004, 11:42 AM
I tried this just to see what happened, and to my eye the "ghost" part matched the marked area. I was cruel enough to zoom in using the "+" key while leaving the ghost dangling in limbo and the ghost stretched accordingly.

Bob L
11-10-2004, 12:18 PM
Dave,

The ghost matches the original region length at the recorded file rate. If you are using SampleRate conversion (MT set different than file rate) or vari-pitching on the MT region, the ghost will appear different, based on the actual file rate.

In the case of a vari-pitched region, the ghost will match the new region you are creating when you drop it, because this new region is not a copy of the old with the Vari-pitch, but a fresh region made at the original rate. If you drag and copy the old region, then it will duplicate the vari-pitch setting.

I suppose that if your MT rate is set different than the source files (not what I recommend, although SAW handles things automatically, but with quite an extra load on the cpu), the ghost length could display the converted length as it will be altered anyway when its dropped on the MT. I'll look at that.

So, it sounds like you are possibly working the MT at a different rate than your source files... this could also explain some of the extra loading behaviour your system has been running into when doing the video stuff... see if you can make the adjustment to keep the MT rate and most, if not all, source files the same. It will improve all kinds of operations during the editing experience.

Bob L

Dave Labrecque
11-10-2004, 06:38 PM
Good call. The session I was doing that on (I actually had never noticed it before -- now I know why) was at 44.1, the region entry data was at 48 KHz. I almost never mix rates like this.