PDA

View Full Version : SAC saves the (Howie) Day!!

Trackzilla
11-09-2008, 01:31 AM
Just got in from todays show, an almost horror story turned into a shining SAC triumph.

Howie Day at the Red Skelton Performing Arts Center.
Simple show...one Vocal mic, one Guitar, both extremely well preprocessed by Howie.

Conventional Monitor console (Allen& Heath) and FOH (Typhoon 4800)...when we fire it up...our normally noiseless system, which has been in that venue before, is humming...loudly.
We chase grounding & the like for 2 hours to very limited success, we get the monitor rig quite acceptable, but FOH has a loud, signal dependant, 60 Hz hum with some lovely upper harmonic content that is WAY to loud to be masked, and resistant to every effort to solve...30 minutes to doors.

I ran the SAC rig at my show the night before so the rack is still in the truck. I rush it in, pluck the snake from the FOH rig, kick the console offa the workdesk, patch the computer together...20 minutes to doors.

Fire it up, bring up the inputs which are now blessedly noise free, flatten the house EQ as the rig magically no longer needs correction, add a touch of a SIR verb that I like, and everyone sighs in relief. 14 minutes to doors.

Guitar tech bops by FOH in the middle of the show, he loves the verb I chose & suggests I add a bit more of it...he calls the sound quality 'marvelous' :)

There were absolutely no further issues.

Until further notice, everyone can assume that even when an act specifies some other system from us, SAC will also be loaded onto the truck. Every time, without fail.

Bruce Callaway
11-09-2008, 03:36 AM
Great result, very stressful time I am sure. I had a similar console issue on my first use of SAC and I saved the day as well by removing the console.

DominicPerry
11-09-2008, 04:27 AM
Were you using SIR2 in zero latency mode??

Dominic

Trackzilla
11-09-2008, 04:41 AM
ya, zero latency mode on the SIR I guess...since it is working in SAC lol. I haven't explored that plug beyond dropping it in at home & mucking with it till I came up with a few things that would be useful for general purpose...

Warren
11-09-2008, 03:06 PM
Hopefully, soon the emergency replacement tool will replace their main system.

The word will soon get out because of situations like this, and SAC will be on the client's requested equipment form.

GOOD Thinking, need some SAC sales brochures for times like that.

Bob L
11-09-2008, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the story... keep em coming...

The revolution has begun... and I'm grateful to you guys who are the proud explorers not afraid to be on the cutting edge and get out there and go for it.

Good job... and remember that it won't be long before resistance is truly futile! :)

Bob L

bcorkery
11-11-2008, 05:02 PM
remember that it won't be long before resistance is truly futile! :)

Bob LWell said Bob the BORG! :D

Carl G.
11-19-2008, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the story... keep em coming...

The revolution has begun... and I'm grateful to you guys who are the proud explorers not afraid to be on the cutting edge and get out there and go for it.

Good job... and remember that it won't be long before resistance is truly futile! :)

Bob L

Any chance at 4ms or less latency for us VO picky pickies? :)
I'd love to go all virtual.
Experimenting with it more today... virtual SAC or Live in Studio opens up so many more possibilities.

Bob L
11-19-2008, 02:32 PM
Many RME systems are getting down to 1 x 64... that's reported as 1.5ms... the new drivers go down to 32 samples... in reality, I think a Yamaha digital console is reported at somewhere around 3.5 to 5ms...

So... it is already possible to reach your VO requirements... and... I would also say... if you adjust yourself to adapt... it takes all of about 5 or 10 mins to not mind whatever latency is left at all... it certainly will not affect your performance... unless you let it, in your mind. :)

As has been said many times before regarding many other things... Get Over It! :D

Bob L

mako
11-19-2008, 05:45 PM
Any chance at 4ms or less latency for us VO picky pickies? :)
I'd love to go all virtual.
Experimenting with it more today... virtual SAC or Live in Studio opens up so many more possibilities.
Carl - any system that can do 3x64 or lower will give you what you want.

You won't notice any delay at this buffer size unless you're using FX or VSTi's that add buffers.

cheers

mako