PDA

View Full Version : Achieving Monitor Mixer Mono Outputs

Bob L
11-11-2008, 12:10 PM
I was asked a while ago about having the ability to use just one mono chan output from a device for separate monitor mixer outs.

I gave this some extra thought and realized... its already there.

Since the SAC mix engine allows duplicate input AND output assignments... you can already do it.

With duplicate output assignments, the engine submixes the two separate mixes together as if you took the physical outs into a submixer and blended them together... this is handled invisibly inside the engine.

So... to use 1 stereo device as two separate mono mixes... try this...

Leave your inputs as normal... in fact you can even have a stereo mix setup with pans and all.... on the output master... assign to an out device (stereo pair)... push the master mono switch and pan the master to the left side... you do not have to alter your input mix at all...

Now assign the second monitor mixer master out to the same stereo device... push the master mono switch and pan the master to the right side...

Now you have two separate monitor mixers using up only one side of a stereo device output each for floor wedges or whatever other mono speaker setup you desire.

Bob L

Leadfoot
11-11-2008, 02:37 PM
Figured that out the first time I hooked it up.. no way you just realized this :)
You outsmarted even yourself then :)

Tony

Bob L
11-11-2008, 03:11 PM
Yup... I didn't give it much thought at first... thinking I would have to do some more code tricks... oh well. :)

Bob L

kruntz
11-11-2008, 04:54 PM
... its already there.

I already used this trick to mix Sub and CenterFill on the same AES/EBU stereo link to a single Digital Loudspeaker Controller...

Bob L
11-12-2008, 01:08 AM
Glad to see there are a few innovative thinkers out there going for it... good job!

Bob L

Bruce Callaway
11-12-2008, 01:17 PM
I wanted the mono output capability however am not one of the innovative thinkers :o Thanks for the information, it is pretty easy in the end.