PDA

View Full Version : Processor Affinity

Naturally Digital
11-11-2008, 11:19 PM
Hi Bob,

I'm noticing on my Quad core machine that SAW and SAC seem to have an affinity for the same core on the processor...:rolleyes: IOW their main processing threads seem to end up on a common core. This also seems to be the case for multiple instances of SAWStudio.

Is there any way to detect and/or set the processor affinity from within the program(s) so the main threads run on separate cores?

Trackzilla
11-12-2008, 12:09 AM
Maybe I'm missing something, but can't you do that from the Windows Task Mangler? By selecting the process, right-clicking, selecting affinity, and assigning it to the desired core...

Bob L
11-12-2008, 01:04 AM
You are correct that the first cores it finds are used... it does not attempt to search all running apps and determine who is using what core.

You can force them to different cores using the Task Manager.

Bob L

Naturally Digital
11-12-2008, 08:46 AM
You can force them to different cores using the Task Manager.Yes, I'm doing that now. I just feel this would be nice if it were automatic instead of manual since SAW and SAC will be used together so often and as it is now the processing power maxes out prematurely.

Another thing I wondered is if the affinity could be set and stored as a preference.

Can it be done at the command line and added to the shortcut?

I end up setting it the same way every single time.

It's similar to the priority and single cpu options IMO.

Thanks!

Bob L
11-12-2008, 10:49 AM
Well... I'll look into it for the next update.

Bob L

Warren
11-12-2008, 11:01 AM
You can also use this program in a batch file to force SAC, SAW or any programs affinity to any or all processors

http://www.beyondlogic.org/solutions/processutil/processutil.htm

Hope you get it fixed

Chris

Naturally Digital
11-12-2008, 11:31 PM
Well... I'll look into it for the next update.Awesome! Thanks Bob.

sebastiandybing
11-13-2008, 01:46 AM
such fuction would really justyfie multicore cpu´s:D
Sebastian