PDA

View Full Version : Phase-checking Oscilloscope in SAC

IraSeigel
11-16-2008, 02:15 PM
I'm just curious about something. I'm a little familiar with the use of an oscilloscope to check phase on a stereo recording. I've never heard of it being used to check phase in any live application - for example, to see if there's any problem in a PA mix or to check the phase between kick drum and bass guitar, or overhead mics and snare.

Can a plug-in such as Brainspawn's Focus be used inside SAC for these purposes?

Thanks,
Ira

Warren
11-16-2008, 02:53 PM
I'm just curious about something. I'm a little familiar with the use of an oscilloscope to check phase on a stereo recording. I've never heard of it being used to check phase in any live application - for example, to see if there's any problem in a PA mix or to check the phase between kick drum and bass guitar, or overhead mics and snare.

Can a plug-in such as Brainspawn's Focus be used inside SAC for these purposes?

Thanks,
Ira

If the display shows its out of phase, flip the O-Scope upsidedown.:p fixes it everytime.

Chris

IraSeigel
11-16-2008, 02:56 PM
If the display shows its out of phase, flip the O-Scope upsidedown.:p fixes it everytime.

Chris

OH! That wasn't in the Quick Start Guide. I should always RTFM. But I wonder if Kevin West would agree?.......

Ira

Craig Allen
11-16-2008, 04:31 PM
I don't believe Focus will work well in SAC, but I may be mistaken. It seemed like it would not work well for me in SAW using live mode to mix years ago. You may want to try that free stereo VST plug in that Steve Bernson posted on the SAW group - that might do the trick.

IraSeigel
11-16-2008, 06:13 PM
I don't believe Focus will work well in SAC, but I may be mistaken. It seemed like it would work well for me in SAW using live mode to mix years ago. You may want to try that free stereo VST plug in that Steve Bernson posted on the SAW group - that might do the trick.

Thanks, Craig. That's a good recommendation. I bypassed his post because I thought the tool was "just" a panner, but the o-scope function works well in SAC, with minimal CPU load. Too bad it's so BIG. I need another monitor. Hmmmmmm:)

But now that I think of it, I believe RME's DigiCheck might also have an o-scope function that might of some use for my purpose.

Mountain Media
11-16-2008, 06:27 PM
You might look at Pieter's Sonoris Meter 2.0's correlation function. Put the meter on an output channel, take the stereo signal to check into an input, or if you wanted to check the relative phase of two mics, put one into an input chan panned L and the other into an input chan panned R and watch the little correlation meter on the Sonoris. To check this, have two in-phase inputs panned like this, and reverse phase on one channel, then watch the correlation display on the meter. And it's not as big as the Scope display. :)

DominicPerry
11-16-2008, 06:28 PM
Just spotted that there is a new version of Digicheck - v5.0. Well, new to me anyway.

Dominic

IraSeigel
11-16-2008, 07:03 PM
Thanks, John. The correlation meter on the Flux is easier to read (and understand) than the 'scope, but too bad you can't hide the 'scope. I like Pieter's products a lot. But I might want to get a 2nd LCD monitor for almost the same price.:)

And Dominic, it looks to me that DigiCheck v5 is locked into using an RME (Hammerfall) device as its input. I believe the older versions could use any device for input. So since I don't need the surround functions, I might revert back to an older version and see if it works. But either way, it's not a plug-in, so I don't know how I could use it along with SAC.

Ira