PDA

View Full Version : Question to Bob

Carlos Mills
11-22-2008, 05:51 PM
Hi Bob,

I am building a new box and I will be running a SAC/SS combo in it. You've always recommended (at least in the past) MME drivers, but lately this trend seems to be changing. What is the first type of driver (MME or ASIO) you would recommend to use for a new DAW (with RME).

Thanks!

Iain Westland
11-22-2008, 06:06 PM
i use asio with my rme cards (the older ones hd96) and never had a driver related problem

Bob L
11-22-2008, 09:06 PM
I and others liked the MME results for different reasons in the past... not the least of which was a perceived better audio quality by some of us...

But... these days, with all the rage being about stability at low low latencies... and with that being the primary focus of a SAC system... and with Vista dropping the MME standard... it seems that for the moment, the ASIO drivers are the ones of choice.

Hopefully, in the near future, I can convince some of the companies to jump in on an improved DWave spec for use with SAC, and as SAC grows in popularity, then that may change. :)

Bob L

Warren
11-22-2008, 09:19 PM
I and others liked the MME results for different reasons in the past... not the least of which was a perceived better audio quality by some of us...

But... these days, with all the rage being about stability at low low latencies... and with that being the primary focus of a SAC system... and with Vista dropping the MME standard... it seems that for the moment, the ASIO drivers are the ones of choice.

Hopefully, in the near future, I can convince some of the companies to jump in on an improved DWave spec for use with SAC, and as SAC grows in popularity, then that may change. :)

Bob L

Hey Bob:

Regarding DWAVE has RME ever showed some interest?
Lord willing :rolleyes:

Chris

Bob L
11-22-2008, 10:22 PM
Not yet... Its been a while since I approached Mathias about it... I gave up for now...

I figure I'll wait to see if SAC gets imbedded in the live sound industry and then ask again.

Bob L

Warren
11-22-2008, 10:50 PM
Not yet... Its been a while since I approached Mathias about it... I gave up for now...

I figure I'll wait to see if SAC gets imbedded in the live sound industry and then ask again.

Bob L

I wish you the best on that, could be a hard road to hoe, but SAC is definetly the product to make it happen, As long as everyone does not buy the computer I did.:eek: :p You have a great console replacement in SAC.

I hope DWAVE gets approved by Matthias for SAC an SAW, I think it would surely benifet his customers as well as yours.

Thanks

Chris

Carlos Mills
11-23-2008, 06:38 PM
Hi All,

And what about if we, users, start sending emails to RME (Mathias) asking them to take a serious look in this direction (DWave)?
They mention SAWStudio in their manual as being one of the first softwares to allow good performance with MME drivers... I think this is a good recognition of SS's technical capabilities... they might listen to us.
What do you think?

Cheers!

jazzboxmaker
11-30-2008, 06:44 PM
Several of us wrote on the RME board over a year ago but it wasn't a blip on their radar. It may help if we organize a bunch of us to all write at the same time. RME is the most highly recommended hardware on this board and as Bob says, maybe SAC will get them moving.

kdiamond
08-04-2010, 07:50 AM
Several of us wrote on the RME board over a year ago but it wasn't a blip on their radar. It may help if we organize a bunch of us to all write at the same time. RME is the most highly recommended hardware on this board and as Bob says, maybe SAC will get them moving.

While you are at it, you can add "drop the price of Micstasy" :D

bcorkery
08-04-2010, 12:22 PM
Carlos,

This is a great idea. My limited understanding of DWave tells me that it would improve performance and stability ... is this even possible? :p

Brent Evans
08-04-2010, 12:41 PM

Don't you mean "until" instead of "to see if"? :D

Optimism!
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ27eN7V2-FAXWOtSePBsAHpofFAX5JJfbRLeT3QM_JCqNfuz8&t=1&usg=__6hTcywqHoRJWy6DyA8plYSXixpc=

Wow, I just showed my geek, didn't I?

ttako
08-04-2010, 01:19 PM
Dear Bob,

SSL MADIEXTREME cards (formerly Sydec) still have DWAVE support if i am not wrong...
Do you think, these MADI PCIe cards are beter choiche using the DWAVE drivers, than the RME MADI PCIe cards with the ASIO?
Price of the MADIEXTREME card seems also be much cheaper than the RME card...

Thanks,

Tamas

Bob L

Bob L
08-04-2010, 02:00 PM
The idea of DWave has changed drastically over time, because it used to be slaved on the back end of the MME driver functions... these functions basically no longer exist... which means it would require a complete redesign and most likely force the sound card companies to create a new unique dll module, similar to an ASIO driver.

My guess is that no one would have an interest at this time, since they all support ASIO.

If SAC gains in popularity, one of them may be interested to work with me to see what a new DWave driver would do... and whether it could end up with better performance and more stability than ASIO.

Bob L