PDA

View Full Version : OT: Software Authorisation Rant - EZDrummer

DominicPerry
11-26-2008, 04:45 AM
I just bought Toontrack's EZDrummer and EZPlayer Pro. In order to get it working, you have to connect to the internet to authorise the software. So I connected and authorised. Now when I try to run EZPlayer, it refuses because it doesn't recognise the hardware - I have the external USB wireless connection disabled when I'm doing music or using a LAN elsewhere. So if I want to use EZDrummer, I have to carry around my Wireless USB hardware and have it switched on. :mad::mad::mad::mad:
I won't be buying another Toontrack product.

Dominic

Sean McCoy
11-26-2008, 10:49 AM
I just bought Toontrack's EZDrummer and EZPlayer Pro. In order to get it working, you have to connect to the internet to authorise the software. So I connected and authorised. Now when I try to run EZPlayer, it refuses because it doesn't recognise the hardware - I have the external USB wireless connection disabled when I'm doing music or using a LAN elsewhere. So if I want to use EZDrummer, I have to carry around my Wireless USB hardware and have it switched on. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Dominic
I have EZ Drummer and a bunch of their drumsets on my Mac, which has no internet connection, so the authorizations were done using authorization files. No problems. Have you asked them if your situation is fixable? If not, that's on par with Microsoft's ridiculousness. (is that a word?)

HapHazzard
11-26-2008, 10:15 PM

DominicBeen there, Done that. You might think about uninstalling EZd and try Sean's method. Takes a little longer but works ok. I have 3 usb HDs and a thumb drive. Swap them out all the time and no issues.
Hap

Perry
11-27-2008, 07:07 PM

Dominic

Yeah... a bummer for certain when you run into these kinds of issues... I feel your frustration. FWIW, I didn't have so much trouble with my Toontrack stuff, though I can't say I'm enthusiastic about their auth. scheme it was 'acceptable' to me. IN fact I've ordered the new version of Superior drummer.

I VERY rarely connect my DAW to the internet and if I recall correctly I didn't for this either.

Another consideration I generally take is that if the auth. is a hassle the product better be damn good.. and in this case I tend to think this stuff is.

At any rte.. sorry to hear you had so much trouble. Did you try writing to tech support.. you never know.. SOMETIMES.. tech support from companies can be unexpectedly good.

Hmmmm.. I can think of one such company right away! ;)

Best of luck!
Perry

DominicPerry
11-28-2008, 04:19 AM
I just can't stand the endless irritation of loads of different authorisation schemes. I use dual boot on my machine - it's handy to have the internet and everything running while I'm checking things out or writing music. Then I switch to the clean build to do any proper recording or if anyone else is around. So I have to install everything twice. So my authorisation list is:
Two different Anwida authorisation methods for 8-10 products
NI Service Centre install and authorisation for 2 products
Three Toontrack authorisations for EZDrummer Lite, EZDrummer upgrade and EZPlayer Pro
CSG authorisation
Test Tone Generator Authorisation
Edit Studio Pro authorisation
Nero authorisation
It's not a lot compared to some setups, but it is a major pain. Add to it
things like XP authorisation and a few that I'm sure I've forgotten and it gets very time consuming and boring.

Thank goodness for RML and Sonoris.

Dominic

DominicPerry
11-28-2008, 10:35 AM
And folks complain about iLok!:confused:

Mark

Well, I wanted to try Breverb, but I couldn't even get the demo without an iLok so I decided not to add that to the list of misery.

Dominic

Pedro Itriago
11-28-2008, 04:08 PM
And folks complain about iLok!:confused:

Mark

Specially about iLok