PDA

View Full Version : install effects while running

Trackzilla
12-09-2008, 04:11 AM
Just a thought towards the future of SAC and visiting engineers...

Is there a way to install plug-ins that are not previously installed on the system and then refresh the list to enable them without shutting SAC down?

The scenario I am envisioning probably won't come up often, but eventually as this catches on, we will hopefully see traveling engineers who are with an act arriving with their mix files, as I often now see with the Yamaha digi consoles...possibly including effects plug-ins that they have but the contractor (me) doesn't. In a festival setting, it is often continuous audio, so shutting SAC down to install their mix files & effects would be less than ideal.

Ideally maybe an effects 'scratch pad' to allow installing & activating plugs without them being persistent beyond the current session, thereby protecting everyone against the obvious piracy issues...but I'm guessing that would be a nightmare to code, so at least a 'refresh this list' radio button on the FX list would solve the problem.

A workaround would I suppose be: install their plugs, start a second instance of SAC, load their mix file, amend it for any other changes needed, & then cycle one off & the two on at start of their line check...meh

Obviously it would be simplest to expect those who are 'SAC enabled' to advance their specific needs & discuss plug choices, but then again...I live in the trenches & I'm lucky to know the act's name, much less see a comprehensive tech rider half of the time.

Leadfoot
12-09-2008, 07:01 AM
I'd be more worried about injecting a virus into the system by allowing this.
That could be a much worse problem than not having a particular plug some rogue mix guy might want.

Yamaha console files are more unique (proprietary) than the files one might possibly have on any random memory stick, especially for an operating system like windows.

Just a thought.

Tony

IraSeigel
12-09-2008, 08:53 AM
I'd be more worried about injecting a virus into the system by allowing this.
That could be a much worse problem than not having a particular plug some rogue mix guy might want.

Just a thought.

Tony

Headline, summer 2009: "Cyberterrorist Stops Van's Warped Tour Dead in its Tracks". Hmm, maybe not such a bad idea..........:cool:

Ira

Bob L
12-09-2008, 09:16 AM
At the moment... no... but most festivals I have been involved in generally have down time between act changes anyway.

Bob L

Iain Westland
12-14-2008, 07:29 AM
Headline, summer 2009: "Cyberterrorist Stops Van's Warped Tour Dead in its Tracks". Hmm, maybe not such a bad idea..........:cool:

Ira

I should take offense to this as its my preferred type of music, but i actually find myself looking for a donation box for said terrorist as the sound on this tour is utter cr*p

Iain

Rick Stansby
12-14-2008, 03:11 PM
visiting engineers...

I want to shoot band engineers who don't email their console files ahead of time. That should be considered part of advancing the show. If they don't advance the show, they get what I have.

What I'm trying to say is that perhaps the best solution would be to send a list of plug-ins with the rider, so that we can be prepared when they arrive.