PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions

PieterS
12-09-2008, 04:18 PM
Just trying to get to know SAC better while solving the latency issues with the Sonoris Eq's, so they can be used in SAC too, I have a few questions:

- why is it possible to route a monitor mix to the same output as the FOH mix? This could accidentally send a performers monitor mix to the main outputs, and that is not desirable I think.

- when using SACremote in NO ACCESS mode, I am still able to control the whole mix. Is that ok?

Next Sunday I'll give SAC a try on a small gig with a close harmony choir. Looking forward to it!

Pieter Stenekes

Bob L
12-09-2008, 06:14 PM
The ability to route different mixers to the same device outputs is a bonus feature... obviously you have to be aware of how you want to assign devices... but SAC automatically blends the two mixes together as if you were using an external submixer to do so... since its not a good idea to Y-Cord outputs.

This feature is what allows separate mixers to output a mono mix and only eat up one side of a stereo device... useful for those with small systems and not enough output devices.

A remote that comes up in NO_ACCESS Mode should be locking out the controls and windows basically... you can see the whole mix... but you should not be able to grab any faders or switches on the remote.

If your setup is not working that way... could you step me thru how you get it to do that... my systems here are working as described.

Make sure you are using the current 1.3 version for both the main SAC and the Remote... in the very early release, the network access rights were not active.

Bob L

PieterS
12-10-2008, 02:37 AM
yes I understand the extra ability to mix different monitor outputs together, but maybe the FOH should be left alone? But no big issue to me, just asking why.

About the NO ACCESS thing:

-openen up SAC on a XP machine, default settings
-activated master mode
-opened up SAC remote on another Vista machine, default settings
-activated remote mode and entered the name of the master
-got an error because a file could not be opened
-this machine is now in NO ACCES mode, as stated at the top of the window

But now then I am able to control the faders of the FOH mix and do everything. Can't switch to a Monitor mix, just the FOH works.

Version is 1.3

Pieter

Bob L
12-10-2008, 07:47 AM
Ah... good ol Vista... my guess is a network access problem... and I will have to check the code to trap for that.

Vista can be a pain to setup network access rights... you have to set permissions and sometimes ownership rights for the logon... and if you are not using passwsord accounts, then you have to alter the EveryOne account group.

Check that you can read and write files on the host machine from the remote machine outside of SAC... get that working first... then try the remote again.

Also... try the same test from another XP machine... again with proper read and write access across the network (easier on XP).

It seems to work fine here on my setup... including a Vista machine... but I will have to check the code to see if the network access file error then somehow bypasses my NO-ACCESS lockout.

Bob L

PieterS
12-10-2008, 09:15 AM
The same behavior with a remote XP laptop.

I don't use file sharing on the master machine, so that will cause the file open error. But it also seems to bypass the NO ACCESS check.

Pieter

Bob L
12-10-2008, 09:35 AM
Ok... I will have to trap for that... but... you will need to open up file sharing to make the remote useful... it needs that to receive the console settings when making the connection... and to maintain them for scene changes.

If security on the network is important than use password accounts.

Bob L

Iain Westland
12-10-2008, 01:27 PM
This feature is what allows separate mixers to output a mono mix and only eat up one side of a stereo device... useful for those with small systems and not enough output devices.

tis a good point well made, but would it be possible to pop up a message box that states that device is in use and by what when trying to select?

Expect the coding thingummyajig would be horrendous:o

Iain

Bob L
12-10-2008, 01:30 PM
I will be including a star mark or something on the list menu of devices when assigning in or out devices that will denote if the device is currently already assigned... but not a message about where it's assigned.

Bob L

Iain Westland
12-10-2008, 01:33 PM
i have a friend teaching me to haggle, if i would have just asked for the indicator you would have it on the to do list, i aimed high and you came in at a perfect point, :D:D

thank you so very much

Bud Johnson
12-10-2008, 11:16 PM
i have a friend teaching me to haggle, if i would have just asked for the indicator you would have it on the to do list, i aimed high and you came in at a perfect point, :D:D

thank you so very much
You sly dog!