PDA

View Full Version : return to monitor console switching

Trackzilla
12-10-2008, 04:49 AM
You may recall I was the one wishing there was a 'conventional view' of the monitor configuration. Last I heard it was in the 'I'll think about it' list, and as I mix more with SAC the monitor usage is getting more instinctive, but mousing to the console selection tab still seems slow & cumbersome.
What about an f-key command to switch the console view? I notice ctrl+fkey is currently unused, and fits nicely with the conventions that are already established. It could be set up to give direct-no mouse-access to mix 1-12, and ctrl+alt+fkey could be 13-24. Set the default up to switch consoles but keep the current view just like the mouse menu does, and you would have an extremely fast way for us to quickly scan through the mixes when chasing a resonance onstage or building mixes vertically rather than horizontally...possibly alt+escape, also currently unallocated, could return us to FOH?
This came to me while I've been sitting here tweaking my rig in a quest for lower latency, trying different settings in the OS, and then manipulating a bunch of things in various patterns that cause my graphics cards to eat SAC's priority to see if there's any improvement...and I keep noticing how FAST the system responds to that f-key view, and how slow it is for me to change consoles with the mouse...across 5 or 6 mixes, it is several seconds of difference at best.

Bob L
12-10-2008, 07:37 AM
I'm still experimenting with various ideas about getting to the monitor mixers... I will consider the F-Key idea as well... but don't forget about the right-click popup menu that also gives you the monitor mixer list... this means you don't have to get to the top of the screen to do it... this can save time also.

And... realize that I am working on a Monitor Mix view window that will display all monitor mixers at the same time for one input channel... that will also prove very useful.

Bob L

Trackzilla
12-10-2008, 11:44 AM
right-click pop-up menu to access the consoles eh?

(Trackzilla right-clicks)
(Hrmm...how DID I miss that? There they are...tagged onto the far end of the inputs, duh.)
(Trackzilla schedules yet another re-read of the help files)

That also helps, but I eagerly anticipate the solutions you're considering. One of my goals is to limit the right clicking I have to do, right-clicking isn't very touch or multitouch friendly ;)

so many ways to navigate...so few unclaimed brain cells.

Bob L
12-10-2008, 01:29 PM
Again... realize that designing for touch screens is a different beast... SAC is currently designed to work extremely efficiently with the standard Mouse and Keyboard combinations that are most common.

I will attack new modes of navigation and control for touch screens specifically as they become more powerful and commonplace and affordable, with higher resolution.

Bob L