PDA

View Full Version : Help with SAC Remote

bassthumper
12-13-2008, 08:24 AM
Hey guys it has been several months since I have even attempted to do a remote access setup. I have downloaded installed the new SAC Remote, however I am having the same issue that I had months ago when trying to use remotes and that is the template does not make it across to the remote machine. I have tried everything that I know but cannot seem to get the mix template to show up on any remote machine. What do I do to make this happen????????????

Bob L
12-13-2008, 09:09 AM
This can get tricky on certain network configurations... and definitely with Vista involved.

Between 2 XP machines... its generally easier. You may have to also fiddle with ownership rights for the different accounts in Vista.

You must allow sharing on the drives containing the SAC session data. If you do not use password user accounts, you must allow the file permissions for the Everyone group to be able to read, write and modify files.

If you use password user accounts, then these permissions must be set the same for each of the user accounts.

Right-click the drive icon in the Windows explorer and select properties, then select the sharing tab... share the drive... name the share (I usually just use Drive_C, Drive_D etc.). Make sure the permissions as mentioned above are set. Then select the Securities tab and again set the proper access rights.

Now... you should be able to connect to the host computer from the remote first, before even running SAC. I use the Windows Explorer to test the connection in the My Network Places section. If you have a password account, you must log on to the network here and fill in your password... then you must be able to see the files and folders on the host where the SAC data is stored... and you should be able to copy and paste from the host machine to the remote... and the other way around.

Once you test this and have file transfers working in both directions, you should be able to use the Host/Remote option in SAC and not have the template transfer file error.

I am not a network guru by any means, and I know many others have much more complex network setups... but the method I just outlined keeps things reasonably simple and gets the job done.

If you are using a switcher or firewall box that can act as a DHCP server, then you can leave each remote machine's TCP/IP address set to auto and it will be automatically assigned a network address when it connects to the network. If not, and you are using a simple hub or switcher, you will need to manually assign a different network address to each machine (like 192.168.1.10, 192.168,1,12, etc). You must do the same if no hub or switcher is being used and you are just using a crossover cable between two machines.

Bob L

mycorn
12-14-2008, 05:05 AM
i'm just using a normal 50 or 100' cat5 between the 2 machines
with IP's assigned

or a G router if i have to go wireless

that is between 2 XP pro machines...

so far i'm not a big fan of the desert
[or whatever they'r calling the rose this week]

fwiw

mike

Bob L
12-14-2008, 08:38 AM
It would seem to me that standard cat5 would have to be a crossover cable if no hub or switcher is involved.

Bob L

mako
12-14-2008, 01:57 PM
It would seem to me that standard cat5 would have to be a crossover cable if no hub or switcher is involved.

Bob L

Yes - it does need to be a "crossed" cable.

cheers

mako

kruntz
12-14-2008, 04:22 PM
Yes - it does need to be a "crossed" cable.

Not any more.
The Ethernet transceivers built starting from 2004 are all auto-polarity...

mako
12-14-2008, 06:26 PM
Really!!! - I'll have to check that out again - I'm sure I couldn't get my setup to work with a straight cable.

Thanks

mako

DominicPerry
12-14-2008, 07:04 PM
Not any more.

Not so sure about that..............?

Dominic

Bob L
12-14-2008, 07:36 PM
I have some switchers that do that... but not sure about network cards inside the computer.... but... that's cool if at least one of the machines has one.

I find an inexpensive switcher works great and allows you to then use more than one remote easily.

Bob L

ambler
12-14-2008, 08:07 PM
Not any more.

I'm with Dominic on this... I'm pretty sure that's not right.

Mark

bassthumper
12-14-2008, 08:49 PM
Well we went ahead with the setup tonight. The biggest issue we had was the host was running windows 2000 pro, the remote Greg was using was a laptop running XP Pro and I had my Vista machine set up as a backup remote. Even after sharing everything including the kitchen sink we could not get the template to share across to the remote machines. We just went in and labeled everything by hand.

All in all things went well. We were running 10 channels of input at 2x48 for about an hour or so but kept having a pop and click so I went in and bumped it up to 4x64 an the pops went away.

I had a SAWlink up and ran a few audio tracks from that environment which was fantastic.

We had a guest at our church for our Christmas musical today and she sang on both our house system in our church and then tonight on our rig for an outdoor get-together. Karen is a professional Christian singer/songwriter out of Nashville and was absolutely blown away with the SAC and SAW environments. Her comments were that the difference was obvious between the systems but she has never sang on a system outdoors that made her feel like she was in the studio until tonight. She said she goes to very large churches on a weekly basis and has never experienced anything like what we gave her tonight and she can vouch that many of those churches have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars in audio equipment.

We basically forced ourselves tonight to pull off a SAC/SAW only show. It was sink or swim because the Yammy and the A&H boards got left behind (intentionally) and we made it happen.

Greg ran FOH from his remote laptop on a 150' cat5 and I ran mons from the host with my laptop sitting beside me on a cat6 just in case Gregs went down. I also ran the tracks out of my laptop from SAW and Media Player (unfortunately some of the tracks I ran out of time to move into SAW) using SPDIF out of my M-Audio module

10 channels of FOH and 10 channels of Mon. Compression on all Reverberator on 2 and only hit a max of 32% on the processor. Also a note on the host is it had no harddrive in it. We ran the host on an IRAM drive with 4 1gig sticks of DDR1 installed in it. We also did not force single cpu on the processors and it never hosed up on us.

Aside from the remote template issue, which I am going to consider a minor issue tonight was an absolute SAC/SAW exclusive SUCCESS!!!!!

kruntz
12-14-2008, 09:08 PM
I'm with Dominic on this... I'm pretty sure that's not right.

Examples:
http://www.broadcom.com/collateral/pb/5461-PB05-R.pdf
http://download.intel.com/design/network/datashts/82541er.pdf

If you can find an IEEE 802.3 or 802.3ab transceiver on a MB or on a network card available after 2004 that can't do automatic polarity detection I'll stand corrected... :-)

(Please try with yours...)

Bob L
12-14-2008, 09:29 PM
Great going Bassthumper...

If you want to call me and step thru a few ideas on the network link you can call at 702-597-0476.

Bob L

bassthumper
12-14-2008, 09:38 PM
Thanks Bob I may do so in the next few days but I am about to go hit the sack. It has been a hectic day today with all that we had to do in the realm of church musical and all the extra curricular (non-paying) work for tonight.

DominicPerry
12-15-2008, 04:17 AM
Examples:
http://www.broadcom.com/collateral/pb/5461-PB05-R.pdf
http://download.intel.com/design/network/datashts/82541er.pdf

If you can find an IEEE 802.3 or 802.3ab transceiver on a MB or on a network card available after 2004 that can't do automatic polarity detection I'll stand corrected... :-)

(Please try with yours...)

krunz, I stand corrected, my apologies. I would have preferred the designers of ethernet chipsets to get 10/100 half/full duplex auto-switching fixed first before adding new features. I've never seen the MDI/MDI-X work because it isn't how buildings are cabled - you'd never design a LAN to accommodate back-to-front wiring, so it's more of a comsumer fix I'm guessing. Interesting , anyway, thanks.

Dominic

kruntz
12-15-2008, 06:34 AM
..., so it's more of a comsumer fix I'm guessing.
Yes, it is.
Small switches and routers don't have the legacy MDI-X port any more, also...

gregangst
12-15-2008, 06:36 AM
Bass thumper was correct the sound was awesome. I was at the FOH position. We may try wifi when we get more confident with the system.
I actually used compressors on each mic and guitar for FOH. These guys are amateurs and aren't consistent with their playing levels.

At the end we added reverb when Karen got on stage.

It was a great success.

This weekend we are renting out our 40 foot trailer to another church for an outdoor event. This will use our larger system. I may use the snakes and console as a backup since this is a paying gig. We plan to use the SAC/SAW compbination for this system.

By the way, last night was with my RME's, two octamic's and one FireFace 800. We actually ran with the Firewire 800 cable. It is more robust than the smaller 400 connections.

As others have said, it would be nice to access the effects for setup and adjustment from the remote setup.

greg