PDA

View Full Version : Recording Using a PlugIn with a midi Keyboard.

Claudio
12-21-2008, 12:30 AM
Hello...
I'm trying to record a track using a plugin (Kontakt) controlled with my midi keyboard.
When I'm using the pluging by itself, out of SAW my keyboard triggers the plugin with no problems.
In SAW, I patch the plugin to my PreFader, I see the plugIn and I'm able to use it and record on the track only using my mouse clicking the "on screen keyboard", but I'm not able to trigger through the midi keyboard.

I read other similar posts where indicating to select the midi channel in the plug in itself, but when trying clicking in the "blue pyramid" I have not choices there to assign any midi channels...I dont see the "Set SoftSynth Midi In Port".

I know that should be something simple..but I cant figure it out.
Any tips would be really appreciated!

Thanks!
Claudio

Iain Westland
12-21-2008, 05:10 AM
you got mws as well?

Bob L
12-21-2008, 05:18 AM
With Kontackt, you should see the "Set Midi Softsynth Port" option at the top of the popup options menu when clicking the Blue Pyramid in the plugin window... the engine must be stopped to gain access to the option.

Then you can pick from a list of installed midi ports, or a list of MWS Virtual ports, if you have the MidiWorkShop installed.

Bob L

Claudio
12-21-2008, 06:37 PM
Thanks guys for all your help!!
Apparently the issue was the plugin itself.
I uninstalled and reinstalled back and now I can do the job.

Now i notice that is a little delay in the sound after hitting the key in the keyboard...Is any latency adjustment that needs to be done?

Thanks in advance!
Claudio

Bob L
12-21-2008, 11:47 PM
Yes... to use VST synth live... you have to get SAWStudio's latency down by changing the buffer size and number of buffers in the Audio Device Setup dialog.

You will need 3 x 128 or lower... you most likely will need to go to ASIO drivers unless you are using RME.

If you use ASIO, then you will have to set the buffer size first in the ASIO Driver applet down to 128 or 64... then you shou7ld see that setting reflected in the Audio Device Setup in SS.

Bob L

Claudio
12-22-2008, 11:41 AM
Thanks Bob!
I will give it a try changing those numbers. :)