PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with house 'soundman.'

Oz Nimbus
01-03-2009, 12:33 AM
Hey all,

Got my first gig with SAC fast approaching... it's for a few bands at a local club. Only problem is, the house 'sound man' (I use that term loosely) doesn't want to let me use SAC for some strange reason... worried if I unhook his O2R I'll mess something up, I guess? Granted it's a house system, but I just don't get why there's resistance.
Any suggestions for dealing with this sort of thing, short of me jamming my foot up his butt?

-0z-

Naturally Digital
01-03-2009, 12:44 AM
Send a stereo feed into the 02R so you don't have to change a thing?

Bruce Callaway
01-03-2009, 01:02 AM
Send a stereo feed into the 02R so you don't have to change a thing?That was the approach I took when I first used SAC to minimise risk. It also may help avoid weird inhouse cabling issues (which I came across).

Oz Nimbus
01-03-2009, 01:08 AM
Might not be a bad idea.....
I just hope I can still do monitor sub-mixes... that & I hope he doesn't get pissed when I start unplugging the 02R's mic inputs to go into my Digimax 96 & it's real nice limiters :)

Bruce Callaway
01-03-2009, 01:28 AM
Might not be a bad idea.....
I just hope I can still do monitor sub-mixes... that & I hope he doesn't get pissed when I start unplugging the 02R's mic inputs to go into my Digimax 96 & it's real nice limiters :)I found that proof is believing and he may modify his stance once he sees SAC in action, in any case good luck!

AudioAstronomer
01-03-2009, 03:37 AM
Do you own your own snake or two? If not it's time to buy a couple :D (EWI makes fantastic and cheap ones)

In these cases I'd just walk in, not touch a thing and run my own rig 100%.

mycorn
01-03-2009, 06:02 AM
i agree with robert
but i have a monitor rig...

not making excuses for them-
but if you look at it from their POV

depending on the gig
the truely jaded cat may have to put up with
goofball kids saying they are BE's when in reality
they are pals with the gtr player who can't mix their way
out of a wet paper bag

completely clueless about real world physics

if there's not brickwall limiting after the mixer
he's left hopeing you dont toast something

over the years i'v found less and less resistance
to me "taking over"
directly corrilated to the amount of grey on my head
[hmmmmm...]
and i can tell war stories about the first lineupoloosers

of coarse the old "more flys with honey than vinigar"
addage applies

at the end of the day
it's his football

sometimes you jus have to play by
his [a$$inine] rules with the endzone about the size of a postage stamp

tomorrow's always another day

FWIW

AudioAstronomer
01-03-2009, 09:40 AM
Btw, are you running house, monitors or just recording?

That makes a huge difference on how to deal with the issue in a professional manner. My previous suggestion assumes you're doing at least 2 out of 3 of those things.. If you're just doing one then you're going to have to bend over and take it. If you're doing all 3 then he gets to bend over ;)

IraSeigel
01-03-2009, 10:50 AM
Hey Oz,
The house guy's objections almost assuredly center on his unwillingness to unplug his inputs and outputs from his console. So the suggestion to supply your own snake and send a stereo feed to him and your monitor sends to separate faders, so that he can then send them via aux sends to his monitor amps, is the right way to go.

Or, get enough Y-cords or a splitter so that he can have simultaneous inputs at his console, too.

And bring a very large shoe.

Ira

Oz Nimbus
01-03-2009, 03:49 PM
Btw, are you running house, monitors or just recording?

That makes a huge difference on how to deal with the issue in a professional manner. My previous suggestion assumes you're doing at least 2 out of 3 of those things.. If you're just doing one then you're going to have to bend over and take it. If you're doing all 3 then he gets to bend over ;)

All 3... Nobody in this town knows how to mix monitors. I'm not exaggerating, either.

Oz Nimbus
01-03-2009, 03:51 PM
Hey Oz,
The house guy's objections almost assuredly center on his unwillingness to unplug his inputs and outputs from his console. So the suggestion to supply your own snake and send a stereo feed to him and your monitor sends to separate faders, so that he can then send them via aux sends to his monitor amps, is the right way to go.

Or, get enough Y-cords or a splitter so that he can have simultaneous inputs at his console, too.

And bring a very large shoe.

Ira

Well, I'm going to steal his input plugs & he can deal with it.

IraSeigel
01-03-2009, 05:23 PM
Well, I'm going to steal his input plugs & he can deal with it.

Bring something pointy, maybe with a stiletto heel......... :)

Warren
01-03-2009, 06:24 PM
Bring something pointy, maybe with a stiletto heel......... :)

Ira ! :eek:
drawing a blank here

IraSeigel
01-03-2009, 11:58 PM
...When it comes to house people, or any one who's against new or different technology, play along.
It's his house, his marbles, and he'll go running to the owner, and cry. And, if anything does go wrong, you'll be blamed for Junior's equipment not working.

Yes, that's why I suggested a splitter (transformer-isolated would be great, but not necessary) or a bunch of Y-cords, so that the house console still maintains its normal cabling, and Glenn can get what he needs.

Ira
PS Or bring your own snake

AudioAstronomer
01-04-2009, 03:19 AM
All 3... Nobody in this town knows how to mix monitors. I'm not exaggerating, either.

Well, if it were me (and I say this having been in the situation multiple times), I'd walk in and setup my rig and go.

If they can't be reasonable about it then it's no longer your professional responsibility to do the work. It'd be no different than some old lady calling floor cleaners, but refusing to let them step foot on the floors in her house.