PDA

View Full Version : SAC+SACremote connection ?

sebastiandybing
01-09-2009, 01:58 PM
Hi

I have a upcomming show where I want to use sac with sac-remote.

The problem is I can´t make it happen...here is what I have done so far:

On the main/marster comp. I have change the TCP/IP protocol to
192.168.0.12/255.255.255.0
On the remote comp. I have change the the TCP/IP protocol to
192.168.0.10/255.255.255.0

SAC_option_tcp/ip is then set to 12 and SAC remote_option_tcp/ip is also
set to 12, I have written 192.168.0.12 name in the marster/host name option.

Is this correct ?

Sebastian

Warren
01-09-2009, 02:30 PM
When these IP's are set in the network properties can the computers see each other and share files?
If not SAC and SAC remote won't see each other either.

Chris

Trackzilla
01-09-2009, 02:31 PM
that looks correct to me, you also have to make sure your sharing is turned on & permissions set & the like...the remote computer should be able to access, read from, & write to the SAC folder on the host computer even without SAC running, otherwise, it won't work...

DominicPerry
01-09-2009, 02:54 PM
Make sure you have the Windows Firewall turned off, or if you don't want it switched off, make sure you allow exceptions and have SAC and a SAC remote executables added to the exceptions list.

Dominic

Warren
01-09-2009, 03:02 PM
Make sure you have the Windows Firewall turned off, or if you don't want it switched off, make sure you allow exceptions and have SAC and a SAC remote executables added to the exceptions list.

Dominic

Probably should not effect Local area network to much, has not ever on any of my systems.

Chris

DominicPerry
01-09-2009, 03:34 PM
Probably should not effect Local area network to much, has not ever on any of my systems.

Chris

I don't understand? There's no distinction as far as Windows is concerned. You need the appropriate access regardless of the source of the request.

Dominic

Warren
01-09-2009, 05:09 PM
I don't understand? There's no distinction as far as Windows is concerned. You need the appropriate access regardless of the source of the request.

Dominic

As long as his IP's are set in Network Properties and share can be established there should be no need to fiddle with the firewall (Unless it is to be connected to the web) Of all the SAC?SAW systems I have tested, I have never needed to add them to the firewall allowable programs, to get it to work.

Simple network sharing is all that is required.

sebastiandybing
01-10-2009, 01:06 AM
Thanks all, about this "share all", is this done by dragging hard drives into
the share folder. Or is there a more clobal place where I can turn share on.

Sebastian

mycorn
01-10-2009, 06:24 AM
right click the folder

see
"sharing and security"

fwiw
mh

sebastiandybing
01-12-2009, 05:54 AM
No matter what I am doing I can not get 2 computer talk together:(,

Could you (if you got the time) write a step by step tuturial,

Thanks Sebastian

DominicPerry
01-12-2009, 06:26 AM
First up, can you ping one computer from the other? I.e., can you launch a DOS box (command prompt - Start -> Run -> type "cmd") and type ping 192.168.0.12 from the 0.10 machine and get replies? And the same the other way round? You will have to turn the firewalls off to do this.

Here's a tip from years of networking. When you are trying to get something to work, turn firewalling off until you have everything working as it should be. THEN, turn firewalling on. At this point, you will KNOW that the firewall is the problem if everything stops working. Check by turning the Firewall OFF again. Does it work? Yes - turn it off again. Now fix the firewall permissions.

If you can ping the machines, then move onto the next step which is to check if you can see files on each remote machine. Then, can you create, read, modify and delete files? Check each of those four. You will need the SAC directories shared. You will need Microsoft File and Printer Sharing active as a service on your network adapter - go to the network connection, click properties, and under the General tab you will see 'This connection uses the following items'. If Microsoft File and Printer Sharing isn't in the list then you will need to click 'install', then choose 'service', then add it. Make sure it is ticked in the list. Reboot, if you've had to install it, even if it doesn't ask you to. Now you can share the SAC folders by right clicking on them and choosing Sharing and Security.

At this point, it really should work. Let us know how far you get.

Just as an aside, if you are using SAW remote too, you should probably make the port number for SAC - SAC Remote different from the SAW - SAW Remote connection. There are recommendations for port numbers to choose from when you go to the menu option dialog box to change it.

Dominic

sebastiandybing
01-12-2009, 06:57 AM
Thanks Dominic
I will work on it again, later today...
Sebastian

Bob L
01-12-2009, 08:40 AM
Sebastian,

Note that if you are connecting the two machines directly together, you will need to use a special crossover network cable.

The easiest way is to use a network router or hub box... then yo9u can use straight ethernet cables.

I also like to use a box (like a Lynksys or DLink wireless router) which will generate DHCP addresses... that way you do not have to manually set each machine to a unique address.

Bob L

DavidandMary
01-12-2009, 12:30 PM
Sebastian,

Note that if you are connecting the two machines directly together, you will need to use a special crossover network cable.

The easiest way is to use a network router or hub box... then yo9u can use straight ethernet cables.

I also like to use a box (like a Lynksys or DLink wireless router) which will generate DHCP addresses... that way you do not have to manually set each machine to a unique address.

Bob L

How would you make that work if you had the following scenario? Let's say you have an Internet only machine that has its ethernet connected from a wireless router similar to above. Then, the DAW machine gets a USB key to access Internet for updating drivers only. Now, that machines Ethernet is open. Could I figure out how to add another machine as a remote control without another router? Or, would that be a no go? Advice appreciated...

DominicPerry
01-12-2009, 01:24 PM
IMHO, You shouldn't be using SAC on an internet machine. For two reasons - firstly, you should be dedicating a machine to SAC to avoid services and applications which will dent or change its performance, especially anti-virus and anti-spyware applications. Secondly, the easiest way to make SAC remote as well as SAW remotes work is to share the whole disk, without any permissions, and to do that on an internet machine is rather risky.
But to answer your question, the 'wireless' hub which acts as your internet router may well have a bunch of ethernet ports on it. If so, it will almost certainly act as a network hub (switch) but it may be necessary to configure it to do so - it may default to acting as a firewall between physical ports. Either way, a better solution is a D-link or similar 4 or 6 or 8 port hub (switch) for about $20.

Dominic

DavidandMary
01-12-2009, 01:57 PM
Thanks Dominic. Good info!

jazzboxmaker
01-12-2009, 02:30 PM
Oh make sure that the SAW/SAC masters are on an accessible directory. Windows doesn't like to share the "Program Files" directory on the OS drive.
ie. if windows is on C: don't put SAW/SAC in "C:\Program Files"

I've had problems with this before and you get no warning :confused:

sebastiandybing
01-12-2009, 02:52 PM
My MB automatic detect cable type and swits pin if nessesary.

Sebastian