PDA

View Full Version : Recording Stereo Out

Tony Marone
01-12-2009, 03:35 AM
Hi Bob,

Lets say I am recording a band with SAC-SAW and I have it set up to record 16 tracks imported from SAC. I also want to record the stereo output from the console that is sent to the house system. Can I route an output from SAC into SAW without going through the ad & da process? In SAW I only see the 72 input channels as recording options.

Tony

Trackzilla
01-12-2009, 05:46 AM
I also record the board mix when I'm multitracking so I can burn it for the customer immediately at the end of the show. This allows them to carry something home to listen through for performance quality before I go through the whole mixdown process (and charge them for that).

The only option I could see was to duplicate the outputs for the mains & run them back into another input pair (hence the extra da/ad step you mentioned I assume) so that's what I'm doing now...
Anyone have a better way?

Bob L
01-12-2009, 08:43 AM
I am working on adding the master out 1 link from each of the mixers... so you will be able to do this directly... it will require both a SAC and SAW update... probably happen within the next two updates.

Bob L

jazzboxmaker
01-12-2009, 03:06 PM
I am working on adding the master out 1 link from each of the mixers... so you will be able to do this directly... it will require both a SAC and SAW update... probably happen within the next two updates.

Bob L

:):):):):):):D

Carlos Mills
01-12-2009, 07:24 PM
Hi Trackzilla and Tony,

There is a way to do this without the extra AD/DA if you are using RME TotalMix. I've accomplished that in my tests.

I also record the board mix when I'm multitracking so I can burn it for the customer immediately at the end of the show. This allows them to carry something home to listen through for performance quality before I go through the whole mixdown process (and charge them for that).

The only option I could see was to duplicate the outputs for the mains & run them back into another input pair (hence the extra da/ad step you mentioned I assume) so that's what I'm doing now...
Anyone have a better way?

UpTilDawn
01-14-2009, 08:18 AM
Hi Trackzilla and Tony,

There is a way to do this without the extra AD/DA if you are using RME TotalMix. I've accomplished that in my tests.

Would you mind telling us what that would be?
I'd be very interested to know without the trial and error method I've usually resorted to with TotalMix..... especially since I try to avoid having to mess with it.:confused:

Thanks,
DanT

Carlos Mills
01-15-2009, 03:21 PM
Would you mind telling us what that would be?
I'd be very interested to know without the trial and error method I've usually resorted to with TotalMix..... especially since I try to avoid having to mess with it.:confused:

Thanks,
DanT

Sure! The solution is not very straightford, but it works. I will take a look in how I did it and post the steps here soon. Cheers!

Carlos Mills
01-15-2009, 07:42 PM
Hi, here we go:

IN SAC: Assign the OUT ASGN you want to record the mix from to an "empty" (i.e 31-32) Input track;

IN TOTAL MIX: Go to the stereo channel you will be recording the stereo mix from, in this case, channels 31-32. You have to use here what RME calls "loopback mode": "Instead of the signal at the hardware input, the signal at the hardware output is sent to the record software." To activate this function, click on the white label in the third row (Output row) while holding down the Ctrl-key. The label's colour changes to red.

IN SAWSTUDIO: (with SAC-SAW link activated): open the recording meter corresponding to the Input Track you want to record, in this case, channels 31-32.

I am not writing from my studio, but from home, so I cannot double check this step by step instructions, but I think this is it.

Cheers!

UpTilDawn
01-16-2009, 07:01 AM
Thanks Carlos.
I'll check that out this weekend.

Carlos Mills
01-18-2009, 12:06 PM
Ok, please let me know if it works for you. Cheers!

Bud Johnson
01-19-2009, 06:06 AM
Also, if your card has a separate spdif out like mine (rme9652) you could route an additional mix out, loop back and record. No ADDA