PDA

View Full Version : Computer for SAC Remote

Tony Marone
01-17-2009, 12:40 AM
I am trying to come up with a machine for FOH wireless remote on an upcoming show. The show will have a couple of channels of mics for MCs and a channel of recorded music that will be played back with SAWstudio remotely. My question is - do you think that a Compaq Presario 1200 with a Pentium III at 667mhz and 320mb of ram will run both SAW and SAC in remote mode and do the job?

Right now I have only 192mb in the machine and it will play back a wav file in SAWstudio just fine but SAC won't load and reports that it must have 256mb to run. Why should SAC remote need this much ram if SAWstudio dosen't?

Tony

Bob L
01-17-2009, 07:03 AM
SAC itself uses more ram internally than SAWStudio since it has many more mix buses too deal with... after all... it is 25 consoles where SAWStudio is only one.

I am working on lowering the memory requirements for SAC Remote, since in reality it does not have to handle the audio summing internally.

Bob L

DominicPerry
01-17-2009, 07:40 AM
The odd thing is that when I launch SACRemote, it reserves 206MB of memory according to the Task Manager page file usage but the process is only using 120MB. This is before actually connecting to a running version of SAC.

320MB really isn't enough but the processor will probably be fine.

Dominic

Tony Marone
01-17-2009, 11:21 AM
So Bob,

I'm really hating that I have to buy an almost forgotten piece of ram to make this laptop run 2 remote control programs:) Now I'm not sure that it will after what Dominic said!! Just what is the amount of ram reserved by each program running as a remote? I'm on a memory budget here:p

IraSeigel
01-17-2009, 11:55 AM
So Bob,

I'm really hating that I have to buy an almost forgotten piece of ram to make this laptop run 2 remote control programs:) Now I'm not sure that it will after what Dominic said!! Just what is the amount of ram reserved by each program running as a remote? I'm on a memory budget here:p

Tony, the thing I don't understand is... oh, wait a minute. I forgot what I was going to say. Must have exceeded my memory budget...

:)

DominicPerry
01-17-2009, 12:15 PM
On my machine, the page file reserved amount is 816MB running both SAW Full as a remote and SACRemote.
Quitting SAW takes me to 581MB.
Then, quitting SACRemote takes me to 385MB.
So as far as the memory reservation in page file terms, SAW Full as Remote is 235MB and SACRemote is 196MB.

The processes take 111MB for SACRemote and 82MB for SAW Remote.

As far as my machine is concerned 320MB isn't even enough to run XP with Internet Explorer open.

I would have thought new memory is cheaper than a new machine.

Hope this helps.

Dominic

Tony Marone
01-17-2009, 08:29 PM
It would be cheaper but for the fact that 320MB is the limit for the Compaq Presario 1200. It is an old machine!

Bob L
01-17-2009, 09:29 PM
The next SAC-Remote version will only require 128 megs of RAM... the rest can be handled by the swap file.

Bob L