PDA

View Full Version : SAC Shade?

IraSeigel
01-27-2009, 11:08 AM
Everything works. I noticed the graphics file has changed so I'll have to rework the shade I've been working on (1.2 worked 1.3 crashes) No Biggie:D I figured it would be awhile before it is stable enough for graphic mayhem.

Hap

Hi Hap,
You wrote this back in late November. How are you coming along?
Ira

HapHazzard
01-28-2009, 11:44 AM
Hi Hap,
You wrote this back in late November. How are you coming along?
IraBeen busy moving the company I USED to work for back to San Marcos. Still have a few more days before it's done.

I did download the latest version and will work with that version (1.4).
Also just got going with PS and ILL 10. The LED's will glow a little nicer. It look pretty good. Be back soon with a working shade.

Hap

Warren
01-28-2009, 12:00 PM
Use good quality LEDS, I had one burn out on a SAC 1.2 version.:p

Chris

IraSeigel
01-28-2009, 12:30 PM
Been busy moving the company I USED to work for back to San Marcos. Still have a few more days before it's done.

Hap

San Marcos? Not Sound Image, is it?

Bob L
01-28-2009, 01:45 PM
Hap... you may want to wait a little longer before releasing... the graphics are being quite altered to make room for smaller display sizes and the new 15 band graphics and delays on the output masters. :)

Bob L

sebastiandybing
01-28-2009, 02:48 PM
:eek:

Trackzilla
01-28-2009, 03:40 PM
o0 graphics & delays on the out masters?
Wow!
Yay!
I can hardly wait to see...so I'm gonna ask....
Why 15 band instead of the sure-to-be-asked-for-next 31?
Will they be 'para-graphic' (similar in function to the existing module)?
Copy/pastable to allow mirroring a starting point to your next mix when setting up?
Can I have a pony too?
Did I say 'yay' yet?

Warren
01-28-2009, 03:49 PM
Hap... you may want to wait a little longer before releasing... the graphics are being quite altered to make room for smaller display sizes and the new 15 band graphics and delays on the output masters. :)

Bob L

2/3 octave fixed, or sweepable?

Great news
Christmas all over again.

Thanks

Chris

Bob L
01-28-2009, 03:59 PM
Para-Graphics... 15 bands like the current eqs... each band is adjustable from 40 to 15k... they should do fine... and if you feel the need for 31 bands... then use a plugin. :)

But... the use of 31 band graphics on outputs is very rarely meaningful... you should not be needing to adjust that many bands to get a good sound... something else is wrong with your system if that's the case... in my opinion. :)

Bob L

DBenkert
01-28-2009, 04:02 PM
Bob, will this update be finding it's way into SAW as well?

Bob L
01-28-2009, 04:06 PM
Not really needed in SAW... it's main use in SAC will allow remote stations to easily tune the room from any position... as well as time-align speaker stacks throughout the venue.

Bob L

DaveS
01-28-2009, 04:09 PM

Bob L

Oh yeah! :D More rack spaces opening up..

Boy, with all of these neat advancements and additions, my rack cases are going to start looking like a lot of the shopping malls!

(empty spaces...)

kruntz
01-28-2009, 04:39 PM
...the new 15 band graphics and delays on the output masters. :)

Yup!
I really hope this one:
http://www.tcmagazine.com/comments.php?id=24211&catid=2&highlight=e8700
will be released before SAC 1.5... ;)

IraSeigel
01-28-2009, 06:40 PM
Not really needed in SAW... it's main use in SAC will allow remote stations to easily tune the room from any position... as well as time-align speaker stacks throughout the venue.

Bob L

And for tuning monitor mixes, or am I misunderstanding?

Warren
01-28-2009, 07:15 PM
Para-Graphics... 15 bands like the current eqs... each band is adjustable from 40 to 15k... they should do fine... and if you feel the need for 31 bands... then use a plugin. :)

But... the use of 31 band graphics on outputs is very rarely meaningful... you should not be needing to adjust that many bands to get a good sound... something else is wrong with your system if that's the case... in my opinion. :)

Bob L

Thanks, I have found if more than five bands are used on a 31 band something is a miss at X-Over or amps.

I was asking because 2/3 Octave EQ's mess with to much of the spectrum. they are just not tight enough IMO

Bob L
01-28-2009, 07:33 PM
Each band can still be set down to .1 octave width.

Bob L

Warren
01-28-2009, 09:38 PM
Each band can still be set down to .1 octave width.

Bob L

Bob:
Ira brought up a point that you did not address, and no mention in eariler posts. Will you also provide the 15 band EQ funtions on Monitor feeds (SAC) as well as FOH outputs, as stated?

Thanks
Chris

HapHazzard
01-28-2009, 09:49 PM
Wow, I leave on a road trip to see how Steve, Tesla and SAW are doing and everyone gets busy. More about Tesla on another thread.

Thanks Bob for the heads up.

37 channel from sound check to end of show, per night, to a external hard drive.
The Catalyst Santa Cruz California USA. Photos from sound check.

Bob L
01-28-2009, 11:34 PM
Yes... the graphics and delays will be on all 8 master outs on all mixers.

Bob L

IraSeigel
01-31-2009, 09:47 AM
Hap - nice SAW shade. Which one is it?

Iain Westland
01-31-2009, 11:02 AM
looks like canipuss from matts (ss vids) site but i cant find it available

HapHazzard
01-31-2009, 01:33 PM
Hap - nice SAW shade. Which one is it?That was Andre's variations. Of Tutti Frutti Nick's danickstr3.V02 added 2/28/06

http://www.avocadoproductions.com/downloads.htm

The SAC like shade for SAW is pretty neat.
Hap

HapHazzard
03-01-2009, 01:18 PM
OK, I'm unemployed now and I got bored.:D
Hap

http://home.earthlink.net/***37;7Ejvanhornrlh/SawStudio/NewShade01.jpg

IraSeigel
03-01-2009, 05:59 PM
OK, I'm unemployed now and I got bored.:D
Hap

Hurray for unemployment!!!

Oh, sorry.

Great! Is it available for download yet?

Ira

HapHazzard
03-01-2009, 06:42 PM
Great! Is it available for download yet?

Ira
Nope, not yet. Gotta wait For Bob to release the next rev (with the new EQ I hope). Anyway I still have a ways to go.

If you want just the Echo/Delay, that I can do.

Hap

http://home.earthlink.net/%7Ejvanhornrlh/SawStudio/Echo_Delay.jpg

IraSeigel
03-01-2009, 06:47 PM
That's a nice clean look.

No, I'll wait til the maestro is done....:)

Cheers.

HapHazzard
03-01-2009, 06:49 PM
That's a nice clean look.

No, I'll wait til the maestro is done....:)

Cheers.He's Done!!!!!!:eek:

IraSeigel
03-01-2009, 06:54 PM
No, I meant I'll wait til the revision is done and you're able to finish the whole project. Looking forward to it. I think it'll be real nice.

Ira

HapHazzard
03-01-2009, 06:58 PM
I'll be back....
Where have I heard that before?
Hap

HapHazzard
03-02-2009, 08:51 AM
Keeping up with Bob is getting' to be a real challenge!:D
http://home.earthlink.net/%7Ejvanhornrlh/SawStudio/NewShade02.jpg

Hap

kruntz
03-02-2009, 09:07 AM
Keeping up with Bob is getting' to be a real challenge!

Strangth -> Strength... ;-)

HapHazzard
03-02-2009, 09:20 AM
Strangth -> Strength... ;-)
Fixed
Thanks
Hap

HapHazzard
03-02-2009, 01:40 PM
Oh no, I found the Reverb! :eek:

Hap
http://home.earthlink.net/%7Ejvanhornrlh/SawStudio/Sawstudio_Reverb32.jpg

IraSeigel
03-02-2009, 02:02 PM
Oh no, I found the Reverb! :eek:

Hap

Wow, you should be unemployed more often! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Nice work!!

DominicPerry
03-02-2009, 02:07 PM
I'm unemployed too, but not bored enough to grapple with shades. Too difficult. Hap, your one looks nice though.

Dominic

mako
03-02-2009, 03:01 PM
Nice work hap - thanks.

cheers

mako

HapHazzard
03-11-2009, 08:50 AM
Bob,
When you have time (HA!:D), could you see if you can add to the list to add a panel for the out channels 9-24 and encompass all possessors in each panel. The graphic of the Route channel shows a few of the possesses could not be included such as the Assignment Out, FX, Solo/Mute and Surround.

If you have a work-around, let know.

Thanks
Hap

Bob L
03-11-2009, 09:17 AM
Not sure what you mean here.

Bob L

IraSeigel
03-11-2009, 10:10 AM
Hey Hap,
Nice work so far.

FYI, in your screenshot in post #37, you have 2 instances of "Out Asign" and "Output Asign" that are misspelled. It should read "... Assign".

Cheers,
Ira

HapHazzard
03-11-2009, 11:30 AM
Not sure what you mean here.

Bob LWhen working on the Wide_Mixer-MIXER_W_MODULE_RTN.bmp for the SAC shade, I noticed that I couldn't change the color of the entire view because some items like the Zoom_Mixer-MIXER_Z_SW_SOLO.bmp is being used in other views. So if I wanted to have that button glow shine on the surface next to the button, it would have to be in the same color. In this case, it's gray instead of blue to create the effect of a light coming on. Now I could work around by not casting a reflection and just have the LED on effect. On the 9-24 Outputs, I was hoping for to have those be a different color as to visually see where the Mains Red and Lt-Red channel strips begin and end instead of looking at the fader color to change.

Thanks
Hap

HapHazzard
03-11-2009, 11:32 AM
Hey Hap,
Nice work so far.

FYI, in your screenshot in post #37, you have 2 instances of "Out Asign" and "Output Asign" that are misspelled. It should read "... Assign".

Cheers,
IraRight you are. I'll correct that asap.
Thanks
Hap

IraSeigel
03-11-2009, 11:36 AM
Right you are. I'll correct that asap.
Thanks
Hap

That should be "assap", right? :)

Bob L
03-11-2009, 11:49 AM
That adds some level of complication and extra memory usage Hap... I have tried to share as much as I could in the graphics to save on resources... in fact, I am attempting to remove the need for the extra monitor bitmaps and use small overlay areas where things are different between FOH and MON views.

Bob L

HapHazzard
03-11-2009, 12:04 PM
That adds some level of complication and extra memory usage Hap... I have tried to share as much as I could in the graphics to save on resources... in fact, I am attempting to remove the need for the extra monitor bitmaps and use small overlay areas where things are different between FOH and MON views.

Bob LNo problem, Bob. In fact I just completed a work around and it looks pretty good.
I withdraw my request and move on.
Keep up the Great work!

Thanks again
Hap

HapHazzard
03-11-2009, 12:07 PM
That should be "assap", right? :)As So As Possible sounds like A-Sap:D

HapHazzard
03-15-2009, 03:12 PM
I gotta find me a job before I get suck into the void!

Hap
http://home.earthlink.net/%7Ejvanhornrlh/SawStudio/Wide_Input.jpg

Wink0r
03-15-2009, 03:18 PM
Nice touch with the wiring harness!

Warren
03-15-2009, 11:08 PM
I gotta find me a job before I get suck into the void!

Hap
http://home.earthlink.net/%7Ejvanhornrlh/SawStudio/Wide_Input.jpg

Wow Hap: :eek::eek::eek:

You sir are a Salvador DalÃ*, a Pablo Picasso if you will, at least when it comes to shades, can't wait till its availible for those of us less talented with the paint brush. It would be nice to see that shade avail for SAWStudio as well.

Great work!

Chris

IraSeigel
03-16-2009, 10:31 AM
All right, Hap. Settle down. STEP AWAY FROM THE COFFEE!!!

Ira

HapHazzard
03-16-2009, 11:40 AM
Wow Hap: :eek::eek::eek:

It would be nice to see that shade avail for SAWStudio as well.

Chris
Will, as soon as I finish (or when Bob settles down the revs) I'll start on the SAWstudio shade.

Hap

Trackzilla
03-16-2009, 12:40 PM
Very sharp Hap!
I like the wiring particularly

/me pets the pretty shade picture

;)

HapHazzard
03-25-2009, 10:18 AM
I need someone to proof just the Z-View in FOH. All other views are in process so don't be surprised at what you see. So far 1.7 is working OK with this shade.

You may need to have FTP to handle the 18m file size.

Remember to backup your graphic file in SAC.

Bob has a ways to go so most of what you see may not be set in stone.:)

Hap

IraSeigel
03-25-2009, 12:33 PM
I need someone to proof just the Z-View in FOH. All other views are in process so don't be surprised at what you see. So far 1.7 is working OK with this shade.

You may need to have FTP to handle the 18m file size.

Remember to backup your graphic file in SAC.

Bob has a ways to go so most of what you see may not be set in stone.:)

Hap

Hi Hap,
I'd be glad to help. How do I download your file? Also, which is the SAC graphic file that needs backing up?

Also, going back to your earlier screenshot of the "wiring harness" shade (I don't know what you're keeping and what you're not) - under the "Attenuator" you have the button "Phd Rvs". You might want to change that to "Ph Rvs". Or use the symbol for phase, ***216;, which is Alt+0216

Ira

HapHazzard
03-25-2009, 01:32 PM
Hi Hap,
I'd be glad to help. How do I download your file? Also, which is the SAC graphic file that needs backing up?

Also, going back to your earlier screenshot of the "wiring harness" shade (I don't know what you're keeping and what you're not) - under the "Attenuator" you have the button "Phd Rvs". You might want to change that to "Ph Rvs". Or use the symbol for phase, Ø, which is Alt+0216

IraSaw that earlier. Corrected.:)

Under the SAC directory is a file called "SAC_Graphics.dll". You'll need to make a copy of that file and put it somewhere save. To restore the graphics, all you need to do is place (overwrite) the SAC_Graphics.dll back in that location.

This file maybe too large to email through some servers, but I'm willing to give it a try.

PM me.

Hap

HapHazzard
03-27-2009, 02:13 PM
Will,
If you want to see where I'm at so far (still have the monitor boards and remote to do), you can download this zip file and replace them (Echo and Freeverb too) in their folders.
Now remember to BACKUP your SAC folder so you can restore later.

Link to ZIP File (http://home.earthlink.net/***37;7Ejvanhornrlh/SawStudio/SAC_Graphics_03_28_2009.zip)

There is a lot more to go so don't be surprised if some stuff is missing.
This link will be up for only a week or two so let me know what you think

http://home.earthlink.net/%7Ejvanhornrlh/SawStudio/SACShade.jpg
Hap

Iain Westland
03-27-2009, 03:29 PM
i will leave it here till you want it pulled Hap

http://www.paddedcellrecords.co.uk/SAC Shade Changes.zip (http://www.paddedcellrecords.co.uk/SAC%20Shade%20Changes.zip)

HapHazzard
03-27-2009, 03:51 PM
i will leave it here till you want it pulled Hap

http://www.paddedcellrecords.co.uk/SAC Shade Changes.zip (http://www.paddedcellrecords.co.uk/SAC%20Shade%20Changes.zip)

Thanks
I'll keep you informed

Hap

HapHazzard
03-29-2009, 11:54 AM
Link to latest SAC Graphics for 1.7
includes Echo, Freeverb, EQ, smpte, scene and monitors (until Bob puts up the new rev). Does not included the Remote SAC graphics.

Link to 03-28-2009 (http://home.earthlink.net/***37;7Ejvanhornrlh/SawStudio/SAC_Graphics_03_28_2009.zip)

As usual, backup your SAC folder!:)

Hap

Iain Westland
03-29-2009, 01:28 PM
will stay here for a while,

LATEST SAC SHADE (http://www.paddedcellrecords.co.uk/SAC_Graphics_03_28_2009.zip)

txshonk
04-05-2009, 08:33 PM
I see Hap shared what he's been working on for a SAC shade - figured I'd share what I had... the shade is inspired by Bob's Contemporary shade.

If anyone would like to use it feel free to download.

http://www.daveshonk.com/SAC_Shade.zip

Dave

HapHazzard
04-06-2009, 08:16 AM
I see Hap shared what he's been working on for a SAC shade - figured I'd share what I had... the shade is inspired by Bob's Contemporary shade.

If anyone would like to use it feel free to download.

http://www.daveshonk.com/SAC_Shade.zip

Dave
Nice :)
Now to turn out the lights and see how much glare it puts out. (Something I've tackling with.)

Hap

IraSeigel
04-06-2009, 10:00 AM
Now to turn out the lights and see how much glare it puts out. (Something I've tackling with.)

Hap

Who was it that sent a screenshot of his live rig, with the TuttiFrutti shade? Now that's glare! But it looked kind of neat, and I'm willing to try it.

As we all know - it's all about the lights!

(What was that Timbuk3 song? "My Shade's so Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades". Hmm, maybe not...)

Ira

txshonk
04-06-2009, 03:26 PM

Hap

Thanks - yeah i havent really thought about the glare factor - I am guessing when you talk about glare it becomes more of a concern as you get away form the monitor at an angle in the dark?

Yesterday it dawned on me to start worrying about "color" contrast and if the shade is practical for viewing in the sun at an outdoor gig. I know I have issues there - I can see the need for wider contast between the board and faders/switches and the text and backgrounds.

Any tips/pointers? I am all ears... and definitely not a graphic designer. :)

dave

HapHazzard
04-06-2009, 06:49 PM
Thanks - yeah i havent really thought about the glare factor - I am guessing when you talk about glare it becomes more of a concern as you get away form the monitor at an angle in the dark?

Yesterday it dawned on me to start worrying about "color" contrast and if the shade is practical for viewing in the sun at an outdoor gig. I know I have issues there - I can see the need for wider contast between the board and faders/switches and the text and backgrounds.

Any tips/pointers? I am all ears... and definitely not a graphic designer. :)

dave
I'm working on a shade that the work surfaces would be a dulled down, deeper color and the buttons would be as bright as possible. I figure it's the only way to overcome the darkness and not blind you with screen light.
Hap

UpTilDawn
04-06-2009, 07:15 PM

Excellent perspective to consider!:)
Even Saw and SAC's default shades are pretty muted in sunlight on an LCD.

DanT

Trackzilla
04-06-2009, 10:30 PM
I remember when my backlight died the first time on lappy...I managed to see the screen well enough by hitting it with a flashlight to switch to windows color scheme 'high contrast white'...then I could almost sorta see what I was doing to use it a bit.

The point being, I could see the value of a stark contrast shade, mostly white, with bold black text & lines,...with the I/R/O, and any switch illumination being very bold bright colors. This would allow SAC to be seen on ordinary LCDs in the sunlight, and with brightness & contrast adjusted strongly on the screen would still work in low light conditions as well. Nice as an emergency savior if you lose your backlight as well....

IraSeigel
04-07-2009, 06:23 AM
I remember when my backlight died the first time on lappy...I managed to see the screen well enough by hitting it with a flashlight to switch to windows color scheme 'high contrast white'...then I could almost sorta see what I was doing to use it a bit.

The point being, I could see the value of a stark contrast shade, mostly white, with bold black text & lines,...with the I/R/O, and any switch illumination being very bold bright colors. This would allow SAC to be seen on ordinary LCDs in the sunlight, and with brightness & contrast adjusted strongly on the screen would still work in low light conditions as well. Nice as an emergency savior if you lose your backlight as well....

Perhaps that's why that one engineer chose the TuttiFrutti shade. I can't find the pic he posted (rig off to the side, stage in the background), but it appeared to serve just the purpose you mention.

HapHazzard
04-07-2009, 09:33 AM
Perhaps that's why that one engineer chose the TuttiFrutti shade. I can't find the pic he posted (rig off to the side, stage in the background), but it appeared to serve just the purpose you mention.
That is Steve Emler, live sound with Tesla. He's not staring at it all night infect he shuts down the monitor after thing get rolling.
Saw at gig (http://www.sawstudiouser.com/forums/showpost.php?p=98927&postcount=18)
Hap

Trackzilla
04-07-2009, 11:32 AM
Tutti Fruiti is a step in that direction, but I mean a mostly Black & White shade...with only color used as center of black bordered buttons & with an extreme contrast like dark red off & yellow on...take your laptop outside on a sunny day, note how it's almost unreadable, then change the desktop color background to 'High contrast white' and you'll get the idea.
It's ugly, but it works.
And it would provide sunlight operability for a wider number of monitors.

I'm thinking function here, not beauty ;)

HapHazzard
04-07-2009, 05:49 PM
Gray background
Colored events
I turned off the lights and closed the doors.

Hap

Bob L
04-07-2009, 06:21 PM
Please... have SOME respect for my work... making it THAT ugly is not something I'm happy about. :)

Bob L

Warren
04-07-2009, 07:04 PM
Ouch!

HapHazzard
04-07-2009, 07:30 PM
Please... have SOME respect for my work... making it THAT ugly is not something I'm happy about. :)

Bob L
Sorry Bob. That wasn't my intention. I am very happy and respectful of the original work surfaces. In fact after all the hours (days) I have spent, I now have a real respect of what goes into a shade. You have spend a lot longer time then I at what the eye needs to focus and locate a target.

You should know that there are many of whom like the graphics just the way they are. With that, I think it's time to put this thread to bed and continue on with what we all want. A wonderful working SAW/SAC combo to take over the world.:D

Good night and cheers
Hap

Trackzilla
04-07-2009, 09:39 PM
With this by way of apology to Bob's graphic artist sensibilities, I'll also shut up about this ;)

I love the look as you originally made it Bob, I use it exclusively, although I do load all the alternate shades I find up for a few minutes to appreciate the work that was put into them as well.

My suggestions were not intended to be an aesthetic option at all, I was suggesting that someone create a functional shade as a tool for emergency use under extreme conditions, like failing backlights & direct sunlight. I've had three inverters fail on monitors, lappy's inverter has kacked twice! On the road in the real world it will happen.

Please think of my input on this thread as sort of like functional ingredient substitutions in baking; sure you shouldn't ever need them, and a 'real chef' shouldn't use them as they compromise the intended beauty of the dish, but they learn them nonetheless and when the eventuality comes that one is necessary, dinner is served and no one but the chef is aware that something was wrong.

And for the record, Hap that is similar to what I was suggesting, except backwards. All white with bold black text & borders is easier to read when the backlight is off, although it IS even uglier when it is working...it helps to change your mouse to something animated too, like 'wagtail', as the movement helps you find it in the gloom lol.

Iain Westland
04-09-2009, 02:04 PM
shades do give the option to make your setup personal, Designers are a big part of the music industry whether its the feel of an API knob or the DAW GUI, they are all crucial sales points.

Keep up the good work Hap (in your spare time of course;)) just stick away from the blatantly ugly:p

mako
04-09-2009, 02:56 PM
I think Bob might have been having a little bit of fun here :)

cheers

mako