PDA

View Full Version : REMOTE TO SAW and SAC

Warren
01-30-2009, 05:16 PM
Bob:

Sorry an I missing somthing? I can't seem to remotly connect to SAW an SAC from a remote at the same time. I can independantly just not both at once.

Is SAW/SAC at that stage of development yet? Or am I misconfigured.

Thanks for your input.

Chris

txshonk
01-30-2009, 05:22 PM
Warren -

Do you have then set to two different TCP/IP ports on the options menu?

Dave

Warren
01-30-2009, 05:49 PM
Thanks I had them both set to 12, now 12 & 14

Mucho thanks

Chris

Warren
01-30-2009, 06:12 PM
Now If I can streamline the setup so SAW and SAW auto connect to each other and the remote SAW and SAC-REMOTE load and connect to thier HOST programs, all in one or two quick clicks via an .EDL or .MXS being loaded. Now that would be sweet! As it stands there is still a lot of configuration to get it all up and running at least in my setup. At least I'm not writing the code to make it all happen. :eek:

Chris

Bob L
01-31-2009, 05:06 AM
I have just added the ability to save the host and remote status in the prefs for SAC and also the Sac-Link active state in SAWStudio... I still have to add the host and remote settings in the SAWStudio prefs.

So... the procedure will now be a snap... just start the SAC host first... then the SAWStudio host... which will then find SAC and link... then, since both hosts will be ready to go... you can start each remote as you wish and it will automatically link to the respective host.

Bob L

Warren
01-31-2009, 12:09 PM
I have just added the ability to save the host and remote status in the prefs for SAC and also the Sac-Link active state in SAWStudio... I still have to add the host and remote settings in the SAWStudio prefs.

So... the procedure will now be a snap... just start the SAC host first... then the SAWStudio host... which will then find SAC and link... then, since both hosts will be ready to go... you can start each remote as you wish and it will automatically link to the respective host.

Bob L

Bob:
Thanks!!!
What a time saver, & more funtion all the time. Was this just added to the download or awaiting the next revision?
Thanks again and have a great weekend! I am. :)

Bob L
02-01-2009, 12:32 AM
It's in the new SAC version 1.5 which I will probably have ready in a day or two... I have been testing it all day long for the last few days in the new Golden Nugget install...

It's nice to see the band starting to get fired up about having control of their own mix... so far we have two band members connected now with remote laptops... and two more are considering purchasing a laptop just for that purpose.

I just purchased one of the small MSI Netbooks with the tiny 1024 x 600 screens... I modified the code to fit the screen and it turns out to be a very cool choice for a SAC remote for musicians who just need to jump around the F Mixer and adjust levels.

For only $350 (cheaper online) at Best Buy... what a cool deal... I sat out in the back of the theatre for quite a while today by the FOH mix position using just the wireless G connection and had no issues or dropouts... about 140 ft from the access point back stage behind curtains. :)

Bob L

Warren
02-01-2009, 12:42 AM
Sounds great Bob, good news to hear!
Sounds like soon we will be mixing FOH via our Blackberry's. :D

Thank you very much for quickly streamlining the setup.

I set my rig up to remote SAC and SAW as well as Monitors so it makes for a bit of a pain getting it all up and running, but once its going, there is nothing that can touch it. Great fun!

Chris

Warren
02-01-2009, 01:22 AM
Anyone:

While I was tinkering with the SAW/SAC LINK OPTIONS drop down menu within SAW. After SAW and SAC have been LINKED. I noticed I can't for the life of me get the "EXPORT MIX DATA TO SAC" or the "IMPORT MIX DATA FROM SAC" options to latch.

What is the procedure to make these two option latch? I know it must be something stupid I am missing.

Thank you very much

Chris

OK maybe it is latching but does not indicate in SAW as though it is doing so, its late

Bob if this is the case is it possible to make it so these options show what status they are in?

Bob L
02-01-2009, 08:29 AM
They do not latch... they are not toggle options... they simply instantly grab or send the mix data between the two programs... when you click on import, you should instantly see the SAC session setup appear in SS.. all the eq, comps, labels, and the record meters will be pre-assigned to the SAC input channels ready to popup and armed by pressing the ctrl-rec btn on the MT track 1.

The export works the same way sending a SS session into SAC and assigning all SAC channels to pickup the individual SS tracks with eq, comps, etc.

Bob L

Trackzilla
02-01-2009, 10:45 AM
It might be nice to have an extra confirmation step before loading the SAW settings to SAC...for me the other way around isn't as potentially disastrous.

Luckily I was in a between set break and had saved my SAC session at soundcheck when my act asked me to record last night and....I bet you can guess what happened next :eek:

there was a brief pause of no set-break music, could've been much worse

Bob L
02-01-2009, 10:52 AM
Yup... I'll consider that... although... here we go again... I can see where this all leads...

Are you sure?...

Are you sure you're sure?...

Warning... using this function may lead to undesired results... is that what you really want to do?...

:)

Bob L

Warren
02-01-2009, 03:36 PM
Yup... I'll consider that... although... here we go again... I can see where this all leads...

Are you sure?...

Warning... using this function may lead to undesired results... is that what you really want to do?...

Bob L

Not me, I don't care about idiot warnings, as long as this idiot knows exactly before hand what the funtion does.

Wow was I off.
My bad, I for some reason thought that a least one of the switches was for channel by channel data transfer to and from SAW to SAC so you could record and playback audio in SAW all from the SAC interface (GUI) with the exception of arming tracks in SAW.

I can see I have a whole lot to learn here!
Back to the fun

Trackzilla
02-01-2009, 11:54 PM
Ya...I'm not normally a fan of idiot lights & warnings...but for something that will have such massive show stopping potential...especially when I wasn't trying to load SAW>SAC, I was trying to go the other way, & with one little twitch of position of the cursor (caused by the weight of my finger moving the mouse slightly south while depressing the left button) FOOM! I had overwritten my running live show with the blank slate SAW loaded with & I think I soiled my armor.

Bob L
02-02-2009, 01:20 AM
Something else I've noticed is that many times when these things happen... and the user is distracted... in general... if he's used to the dialog warning message... he simply clicks ok without reading the message anyway... and boom....

What about you... if you would have had your warning message... that you knew was always there when using both of those commands... do you think you would have taken the moment to read it and make sure you were activating the command you intended... or perhaps... would it have been a click on OK anyway. :)

Bob L

mycorn
02-02-2009, 11:31 AM
so far i havnt missed but could see the show stopping potential

perhaps you could put the warning only on
"export _to_ sac"

jus a thought

mh

DominicPerry
02-02-2009, 11:42 AM
These two options are already on their own menu. It really can't get much safer. I support the current lack of endless prompts.

Dominic

bcorkery
02-02-2009, 12:02 PM
Are you sure?...

Bob LYeah, I don't think we want to go the Vista route. "Are you sure?"

mycorn
02-02-2009, 12:17 PM
it actually jus dawned on me that while
in my world i cant think of a reason
when i'd ever want to "export to sac"
those folks in the studio
[easily still half of us at this point]
would use it all the time

i'l modify my request to maybe
you could put a couple of spaces
between the menu choices

again
jus a thought

mh

Trackzilla
02-02-2009, 06:48 PM
Or maybe even a 'Load SAC settings> SAW' Switch (or menu point) in SAC that only offers going that way...so if you're going from SAC (live) you just can't make the mistake at all when arming SAW?

Wow, 1.5!
While I was posting this lol

WooooHooo