you should have held out for version 2

you may never get me to upgrade <g>

FWIW
YMMV

mike horn
iem audio

Bob L
02-02-2009, 03:49 PM
Good news Mike... its fun to finally hear back from people starting to use it in the field.

I am almost finished with the Golden Nugget setup here in Vegas... show opens Thur night.

Another possible big install in another Vegas Hotel is pending... more about that if and when it is finalized...

Another note... great success so far with the little netbook test for remotes (average $350... various manufacturers)... the new SAC 1.5 version makes these an awesome choice for the musician looking to adjust his own monitor mix onstage... it fits easily on a concert type music stand and offers full control of his entire 72 chan monitor mix... with no cables needed for stem mix audio... and not even an ethernet cable if you setup a wireless router onstage.

Bob L

DBenkert
02-05-2009, 11:10 AM
So, tonight's the night, huh Bob? Please keep us posted on how it all goes!!

Bob L
02-05-2009, 12:50 PM
On my way now for the final rehearsals and then the show opening.

Bob L

MMP
02-05-2009, 01:02 PM
This is really cool.

Break a leg!

Regards,

MM

Trackzilla
02-05-2009, 05:36 PM
We salute our fearless leader who goes into audiobattle with the keepers of the Golden Nugget!

seriously...lookin forward to the reports

Bob L
02-06-2009, 06:39 AM
Well... all went extremely well.

The SAC system ran from 11 am for rehearsals thru to the end of the show at about 9:30pm without a hitch.

I recorded about 2 1/2 hours of the rehearsal and also recorded the show performance... SAC handled 6 stereo mixes while SAWStudio recorded 27 chans of audio in the background, and all the while SAC stayed at about 18***37; load.

I was running 3 remotes... two wired on stage and one wireless G.

I watched the remotes being utilized with no issues and was very happy with the system performance. Gordie Brown did an awesome performance and seemed extremely happy with the whole concept... I will attempt to have a video of the whole construction and setup online in the next few weeks.

Now on to the next bit of exciting news... I just received comfirmation to build a system for Harrah's hotel for the new "Legends In Concert" show opening at the end of the month. This one should be even more interesting.

It will be a 64 chan SAC system running FOH and 11 monitor mixes, with 2 separate SAWStudio systems for multi-track surround playback and two separate video tracks.

Harrah's room has the sound booth built into a second story closed in balcony and has always been a little nuts to mix in... with SAC, the engineer will now have the easy option of using a wireless remote to roam the room and mix without being confined to the FOH balcony position... should be fun.

So... SAC is out of the gate in Las Vegas, and seems to be running strong so far... yeah!!! :)

Bob L

DBenkert
02-06-2009, 07:12 AM
Nice work Bob and exciting news about Harrah's! Look forward to seeing the videos when they are done!

UpTilDawn
02-06-2009, 07:33 AM
Very COOL, Bob! It IS really exciting!

DanT

DominicPerry
02-06-2009, 07:38 AM
Nice one Bob. Thanks for letting us know how it went. I guess round here we all expect it go perfectly for you, and forget that this is all your own work, it must feel quite a thrill to know that you wrote the whole thing from scratch. And for you, there's no-one to call if it doesn't work:eek:.
Good stuff, well done, I wish you every success with the new setup.

Dominic

Mountain Media
02-06-2009, 07:39 AM
Very COOL, Bob! It IS really exciting!

DanTAin't 'dat da truth!! One of the amazing things is the 'size' of some of the shows SAC/SAW is running!! Considering alpha/beta status less than a year ago, it's not rolling out 'small'!! :D

MikeDee
02-06-2009, 08:22 AM
Gr8 to know all went well, Bob! I was confident that SAC and SAWStudio would come through with flying colors. :cool:

Way 2 go! Can't wait to see the movie!! :)

Best regards,

WWW111
02-06-2009, 08:54 AM
First the Golden Nugget then possibly Harrah's.........What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas?...Not SAC...The Big Dog is loose and can't be stopped!!!

Great news Bob!:)

Bill Wall

Trackzilla
02-06-2009, 09:49 AM
Golden Nugget is great news! and the last Harrah's is wonderful too!
and I can't believe I beat all of the rest of you to that phrase

Bruce Callaway
02-06-2009, 01:58 PM
So... SAC is out of the gate in Las Vegas, and seems to be running strong so far... yeah!!! :)

Bob LExcellent news Bob...

jazzboxmaker
02-06-2009, 04:29 PM
Way to go Bob! This is just the start, SAC is gonna fly. Can't wait to see the vids

sebastiandybing
02-11-2009, 02:31 AM
Good news:),
About the network, could you share some light on what devices
you use for wireless and so on.
I just want to buy the right piece the first time, I donĀ“t have the
time to experiment with 100th of different boxes.
Sebastian

mycorn
02-11-2009, 07:29 AM
i dont know what is going on in europe-

my router is just a normal linksys [cisco] "G" wireless

while "G" is getting crowded in the US
it has worked fine so far

"N" is the "new" higher frequency
and so far is less crowded

and as has been stated
a piece of cat5 is not much to run
for a FOH "snake" especially if you have to run power as well

my machines are new enough that i dont even
use a router if i go with wire

i simply plug the cat5 into both machines
and they stay happily connected till i shut them off

FWIW

Bob L
02-11-2009, 09:20 AM
I think I will be using one of the Dual Band DLink wireless N routers at Harrah's... the choice of the 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz bands may come in handy in a show with 15 rf mics.

I also like the fact that the box can act as a DHCP host so adding remotes can be done without the hassle of manually assigning addresses.

We'll see what happens.

Bob L

sebastiandybing
02-11-2009, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the info, it looks like a good one.
Sebastian

Wam3
02-11-2009, 04:54 PM
Wireless N is the way to go. I did an outdoor show at a ski resort (northstar at tahoe) and there about 20 wireless networks in the village, all wirless G. My laptop couldnt connect to the routher even when I was right in front of it. Never had that problem before, it has always worked fine everywhere else. Luckily I had my cat5 as backup. I have not been back there to see if my new N router is better, but I am 99 percent sure it will be fine. I am using the linksys WRT350N

W

jazzboxmaker
02-14-2009, 06:37 PM
My laptop couldnt connect to the routher even when I was right in front of it.

W
That's got to make you wonder if you should be walking around with a meat thermometer in your ear

Bob L
03-02-2009, 10:01 PM
Well... just a quick follow up to this thread.

I was in Harrah's last night from midnight to 6am installing the final SAC system... E8500, Asus PK5Q-E motherboard, 2 RME RayDAT cards, built into a 3 space 19 in rackmount case... 6 Behringers and 16 chans of direct lightpipe from two SAWStudio Audio/Video systems.

I did use a DLink N Wireless switcher... works great... its reporting 300 mbs... amazing.

I did get to see and hear a live show performance and I was very excited and impressed with the clarity the SAC system brought to the room... quite amazing actually.

Lee Pepper has got the room starting to sound now and it was quite impressive to see the whole techinical picture come together... he has been working tirelessly dialing everything up to create an impressive audio picture in an otherwise dead and not so exciting room.

There are now 18 RF mics on stage, the bass, guitar and sax players are also all wireless, and we are using Dlink Wireless for SAC... wirless hell. :)

The band, on stage, has their own wired laptop for monitor control... and it was fun to watch musicians step up to it from time to time making adjustments... the laptop is center stage in the back of the stage and quite visble... that was very cool to see.

The current SAC setup is using over 50 inputs and sending 8 monitor mixes... front floor wedges, front side fills, rear side fills and 5 in-ear stereo mixes.

Three SAWStudio systems control multi-track audio and video playback... three separate video feeds live video switched into 4 large video projection systems with live camera also... the master SAW system also generates SMPTE to feed the Lighting board.

There are also background singers meshed in with about a dozen dancers all over the stage.

Lee has been stuck in the soundbooth on the second floor balcony and has not been able to really appreciate the sound he has created for the audience... he has set the mix up using nothing but Sony V6s from the booth.

Now that we got the wireless N working well, tonight he mixed from a booth in the center of the room... using his wireless laptop, and told me he even surprised himself with the final sound of the room.

It has been a whirlwind of tech issues, attitude issues, rehearsals, run-thrus, etc... and hopefully now, things will start to settle in for the long haul.

I must say, it did my heart good to see this all come together in the real world, I was quite excited.

Now, he plans on working with the surround speakers that are hung within the room to open up effects and more ambience with various audio elements being leaked into the surrounds... should be nice when he gets it dialed in.

Over and Out from the trenches, live in Las Vegas. :)

Bob L

HapHazzard
03-02-2009, 10:06 PM
Some one get him a cigar!:D

You did good, Bob.
Get some sleep. Some big days ahead!

Hap

Mountain Media
03-03-2009, 09:48 AM
Well... just a quick follow up to this thread.

I must say, it did my heart good to see this all come together in the real world, I was quite excited.

Over and Out from the trenches, live in Las Vegas. :)

Bob LWhat a story Bob!! I'm sure it is exciting!! Congratulations to you, Harrah's!, Lee and all the others making it fly, and validating your many years of work toward this - not this 'end' but this 'beginning'!

Naturally Digital
03-03-2009, 12:12 PM
Very exciting Bob! Thanks for the details... It's a fun read and great to know you're diggin' in the trenches!!

If you need any help with the wireless coordination send me a PM.

Congrats!