PDA

View Full Version : OT: XP updates

bcorkery
02-02-2009, 12:15 PM
On my new office machine, there's a list of updates it tells me I need numbering 30 or so. Net Framework 3.5 SP1 I'm pretty sure I can do without I don't even think 3.5 is on my computer. And there's WMP 6.4 security update ... well I have 9 so I guess I can skip that. Then there's a list of XP security updates and XP updates.

Can I get by with downloading and installing the last on the list or is this something I should do at the end of the day and let the the computer work through the night?

Thanks,
Bill
:o

DominicPerry
02-02-2009, 12:20 PM
First of all check that you are reviewing what I think are called 'critical updates', not 'all updates'.
Then deselect the few you don't like - e.g. WMP updates, .net framework updates. Leave all the rest - it knows, for example, that if you install the SP3 security update, you don't need all the previous ones.

That's what night time is for - updating windows.

Dominic

IraSeigel
02-02-2009, 12:56 PM
The one that's MOST beneficial to us is the firewire update. Make sure you download and install it. It'll solve all problems firewire-related.

Oh wait, you mean Microsoft forgot that one?!?! Oh...........:(

Ira:p

Bob L
02-02-2009, 03:38 PM
I do my best to avoid ALL Microsoft updates.. in fact most have nothing to do with performance... except to slow it down. :)

Most everything seems to be about security loopholes... and if your audio machine is not the machine you surf the web with... keep it lean... most Microsoft updates add another ton of registry entries and kludge to the machine...

And Net Framework is a huge kludge and as Mark notes... many of the wonderful industry standard apps REQUIRE it... just another reason why SAWStudio makes sense... It stays away from all that klunk... :)

Bob L

bcorkery
02-02-2009, 05:12 PM
Thanks all. So I'll stick with critical stuff and avoid the rest. I think I only have to use NET Framwork 2.0.

Mark, I do have Sound Forge on this office machine but it's not my "Studio" computer.

-Bill