PDA

View Full Version : Using Saw to create drum tracks ??

mikebuzz
11-16-2004, 01:42 PM
OK so I'm creating new regions in Saw from live drum hits , Bass snare etc.
I have created a new EDL/file that I am inserting these drums into ( to make custom drum tracks as a test/way to make real drum tracks like a drum machine )
I have the bass/snare/hi hat/open hihat on different tracks , I wanted to change the BPM on these tracks slow them down etc. I tried varipitch it worked but I want to slow the track down !!!
Any ideas????

I am looking for wav's of real drums for this app. any suggestions ???

Later
Buzz

PS: maybe I should just stick to the old Alesis SR16 I have HUMMMMMM !!!!

Jay Q
11-16-2004, 03:36 PM
OK so I'm creating new regions in Saw from live drum hits , Bass snare etc.
I have created a new EDL/file that I am inserting these drums into ( to make custom drum tracks as a test/way to make real drum tracks like a drum machine )
I have the bass/snare/hi hat/open hihat on different tracks , I wanted to change the BPM on these tracks slow them down etc. I tried varipitch it worked but I want to slow the track down !!!
Any ideas????I do this kind of thing a lot, and I'd suggest using another app. SAW isn't really designed for this kind of thing; you can do it, but it's clunky. It's much easier to generate your WAVs from a different app and import them into SAW; any changes to tempo mean adjusting tempo in the original app, then re-importing. That way, the WAVs will be the correct tempo/length, and you don't have to fuss with adjustment in SAW.

I use a cheapo app called Algorhythm cuz it does what I need. You can use some of the pricier apps (e.g., Kontakt, HALion, Battery) to achieve what you want, but I'm too broke to go that route, so perhaps other users can chime in. If you're not attached to using WAVs, it may be worth looking into MidiWorkshop.

I am looking for wav's of real drums for this app. any suggestions ???The Web is dripping with drum samples! You can gets tons of free ones (harder to find good quality) or you can buy sample libriaries (so many out there, it'll make your head spin). Just search on "drum samples".

Jay

Bob L
11-16-2004, 04:28 PM
If you want to mess with tempos along the way, and try to do the project by building regions in the MT, you are really asking for time compression and that is not going to give you your best audio quality.

Sonic Foundry's Acid program may be a better choice for building looped audio this way, but it too will be time compressing and I for one have never been happy with the resulting wav audio quality.

A much better method, in my opinion, would be to build your drum performances using the MWS add-in and drum samples in any one of a number of VST plugins.

You can use LoopaZoid (free) for the simplest of methods... collect your drum samples into a folder and setup a few drum kits in Loopazoid. Then use the MWS to do your kicks and snares and hats and so forth... there you can quantize and change tempo all day long until you get it just right, with no degradation of the audio quality. When finished, simply build the mixes to individual hottracks right into the MT and you are ready to go... disable the midi tracks and put the MWS in the background. Now if you ever need to change anything at the core level, you just re-enable the midi track... adjust... and build a new mix of that track.

This is a very fun way to work.

There are other great choices to... like the Spectrasonics Stylus and now their new version... uses a very interesting drum performance method... other drum modules have been mentioned in other threads on the forum also.

Building regions of drum measures in the MT is fine, if you don't have to mess with tempos.

Bob L

Carey Langille
11-16-2004, 06:51 PM
Stylus RMX is a very cool Upgrade to Sytlus.. It adds a completely new interface, sound, and way of workign with and editing Drums, and drum loops..! Check out the new demo videos at their site...
http://www.spectrasonics.net/instruments/stylusrmx.html