PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs some help

drihanek
02-25-2009, 09:43 AM
Hi all,
I'm just starting with my first SAC install and seems to be using too much processor for what I want to do and need some ideas. Here's what I want: I need 24 channels, 8 monitor mixes (but 2 of them must have separate eq & dynamics [one for all the monitors, the other for a live tv mix]). I also need to put some reverb on a few FOH channels.

I am not a computer person but here's what I know I have: A friend gave my an old server with 2 Xeon 2.8 processors, it has 3GB of ram (don't know what kind), the bus speed is 533mhz, the L2 cache is 512kb, I am running XP Pro with SP2 pretty striped down (according to a friend that helped me), I am using a RME 9652 with 3-ADA 8000's. And it is using on board video.

Here's what I've done I have set up 16 channels with eq and dynamics added, mon 1 with eq and dynamics, and mon 2-7 split off mon 1. SAC says I am running at 68***37;. Windows task manager says I am running at 23%. This set up leaves me; 8 inputs, one full monitor mix with separate eq and dynamics short, as well as reverb. So I guess I'm looking for suggestions to lessen my load so I can add those things.

Sorry this is so long, I'll keep it short from now on.

Thanks,
D

Bob L
02-25-2009, 10:54 AM
Those loads sound pretty high for your channel count and setup.

Are you using the RME ASIO drivers rather than MME.. and what buffer settings are you using?

Are you using plugins? or doing eq and comps on the SAC channels directly?

The Task Manager on a dual system reads loads in half... in other words 100***37; cpu is split across both cpus... so the number will generally be half of what SAC shows.

Check how many processes are active in the Task manager... I try to keep my machines down in the high teens or low 20s... if you show 30 or more processes, you may want to start chasing down background stuff a little further.

Bob L

Warren
02-25-2009, 12:31 PM
Hi all,
I'm just starting with my first SAC install and seems to be using too much processor for what I want to do and need some ideas. Here's what I want: I need 24 channels, 8 monitor mixes (but 2 of them must have separate eq & dynamics [one for all the monitors, the other for a live tv mix]). I also need to put some reverb on a few FOH channels.

I am not a computer person but here's what I know I have: A friend gave my an old server with 2 Xeon 2.8 processors, it has 3GB of ram (don't know what kind), the bus speed is 533mhz, the L2 cache is 512kb, I am running XP Pro with SP2 pretty striped down (according to a friend that helped me), I am using a RME 9652 with 3-ADA 8000's. And it is using on board video.

Here's what I've done I have set up 16 channels with eq and dynamics added, mon 1 with eq and dynamics, and mon 2-7 split off mon 1. SAC says I am running at 68%. Windows task manager says I am running at 23%. This set up leaves me; 8 inputs, one full monitor mix with separate eq and dynamics short, as well as reverb. So I guess I'm looking for suggestions to lessen my load so I can add those things.

Sorry this is so long, I'll keep it short from now on.

Thanks,
D

I have tried to use SAW/SAC on a very simuliar system Dual Xeon 3.6 with 4 gig ram IWILL MB I tinkered for two years trying to get it to work with SAW/SAC with low CPU loads. It would work on all other DAW's systems just not the one that works best for me SAW/SAC. I latter went to test the whole rig on a pent 4 1.6gig with 2gig ram and it all works like a charm.

I am not sure what it is with Dual XEON systems but your not the first that has had high cpu load issues on a systen that should be screaming fast.

I am not saying don't test to find out whats wrong, just be ready to use the dually for a remote and not your main rig.:(

Not tring to burst your bubble.

Chris

Bob L
02-25-2009, 12:39 PM
Server machines are not necessarily about speed... they are usually about stability and redundancy... there could be much background processing happening that you are not aware of... check the Task Manager processes tab and see how many are running... you should be down in the low 20s or even lower.

I have old P4 single cpu machines running in venues that have much lower load counts than these reported numbers and are handling much more data.

Bob L

drihanek
02-25-2009, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the responses,

First of all, I am using ASIO drivers, honestly I'm not sure what MME drivers are I just used the disk that came with the card. So if I should be using MME tell me. I started by running 4x64 buffers.

Also, no plugins yet just the eq and dyn. on the channels in SAC. Why would you need anything else :). Hadn't thought about the processes so I will check that this evening and let you know.

Finally, Chris I had read in forum earlier that people had trouble with these, but it was free so I had to try it.

Bob I do have an old Premio 2.4 P4 with 2gb of ram. Do you suggest moving the RME card to it and trying it?

Thanks again,
D

Warren
02-25-2009, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the responses,

First of all, I am using ASIO drivers, honestly I'm not sure what MME drivers are I just used the disk that came with the card. So if I should be using MME tell me. I started by running 4x64 buffers.

Also, no plugins yet just the eq and dyn. on the channels in SAC. Why would you need anything else :). Hadn't thought about the processes so I will check that this evening and let you know.

Finally, Chris I had read in forum earlier that people had trouble with these, but it was free so I had to try it.

Bob I do have an old Premio 2.4 P4 with 2gb of ram. Do you suggest moving the RME card to it and trying it?

Thanks again,
D

Not sure how Bob feels, but I bet it would be much lower CPU load.

Chris

Bob L
02-25-2009, 04:10 PM
Trying the other machine might be a good deal. :)

At least then you would know.

Bob L

drihanek
02-26-2009, 01:18 PM
Ok update,

Made the switch, except the P4 computer only had 1gb of ram. (How big of a difference will ram make?) It is running at about 80-84% so it is actually a little higher. I'm not sure windows was stripped down very well on this machine either. Also, it does have a wireless network card in it for internet I thought I had read this could be a problem.

Bob, I was watching as i added, full eq on 16 channels bumped the load about 38% and each monitor added 5-6%, Dynamics +4% total. So, FOH full eq and dynamics 41%, 8 additional mon. split only (+42%), total about 82-83%.

I am having fun any other suggestions?

Thanks,
D

Bob L
02-26-2009, 03:15 PM
There comes a point where you may just have to get into a heftier machine if you want to do all that processing... simple as that... but, the reality of a good mix does not require 16 channels of 7 bands of eq... so in practice you can get a lot out of a lesser machine.

Also, use the power of the various tap points to lessen cpu load... for instance... if you eq the FOH good, in many cases you can use the Pst-EQ tap for the Monitor mix sources and it should also sound fine for the monitors... thereby saving all the extra EQ processing... and if a certain performer wants a slightly different EQ on his vocal in his monitor, you can tweak an extra band or two on his EQ, thereby utilizing most of the EQ load from FOH and still satisfying his request.

Bob L

sebastiandybing
02-27-2009, 12:59 AM
I just want say that Xeon is just a secound name, there is P4xeon, CentrinoXeon or some call them core2duoXeon.
So if your Xeon cpu is running at 3.6 ghz it must be a P4 cpu with some
ekstra server functions, but still a P4.
Be careful when someone try to sell a Xeon computer, you really need to
check system information and check the info on Intels site to be sure you
get what you think you get.
Sebastian

Trackzilla
02-27-2009, 02:16 AM
actually, older xeons were different architecture & cores...some newer ones are apparently just a badge difference & sometimes a socket difference...don't have a clue when what changed or which are which though. lol

drihanek
02-27-2009, 09:19 AM
I'm still curious about how much difference the ram makes. Or is the big deal just processor and system speed?

DominicPerry
02-27-2009, 11:13 AM
RAM makes no difference unless you don't have enough. You should consider using no page file. 3GB is all that Windows (32bit) can access, so there is no point in adding more. SAC runs in a few hundred MB on my machine, although I don't use many channels or plug-ins.

EDIT: Just tried - can't get SAC to use more than 130MB of memory.

Dominic

drihanek
02-28-2009, 06:10 AM
Wow,

That is very interesting, thanks for the info. I guess I may have to try some different pc components any guess as to what I should try first. Would any of my settings for the rme card change anything?

Darin

Mountain Media
02-28-2009, 07:38 AM
Wow,

That is very interesting, thanks for the info. I guess I may have to try some different pc components any guess as to what I should try first. Would any of my settings for the rme card change anything?

DarinYou might try reading through Bob's XP Pro OS tweaks. The PDF can be found here http://www.sawstudio.com/downloads_misc.htm (third entry down).

Though you say your friend helped strip your OS, maybe Bob's will help some more.

drihanek
02-28-2009, 09:30 AM
Thanks John,

Sometimes its hard to figure out where everything is, thanks for the link I'm gonna double check what has been done.