PDA

View Full Version : OT? Fostex to .wav

Scott P
03-03-2009, 10:03 PM
I have a friend that has a Fostex D-90 that records in its own format (FDMS-2 Ver.2) and saves in (FDIO-1 Ver.2). Other than a real-time transfer, is there a better way to convert these to something that I can import into SAW?

Many thanks! :D:D
Scott

Dave Labrecque
03-04-2009, 09:38 AM
I have a friend that has a Fostex D-90 that records in its own format (FDMS-2 Ver.2) and saves in (FDIO-1 Ver.2). Other than a real-time transfer, is there a better way to convert these to something that I can import into SAW?

Many thanks! :D:D
Scott

Fostex has some free conversion software available somewhere. Not sure if it addresses this, though. I think Steve B. knows more.

TotalSonic
03-04-2009, 11:10 AM
Fostex has some free conversion software available somewhere. Not sure if it addresses this, though. I think Steve B. knows more.

Unfortunately the utility I know of only converts bwf multi-channel wav files to mono wav files (and visa versa) and doesn't handle a proprietary format from what I believe was a piece of hardware from 1997.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Scott P
03-04-2009, 05:08 PM
IIRC, I think real time xfer is the only way to go, if I have my model numbers correct. I don't even think the option to record to .wav is available internally.

Mark

That's the problem. He's doing some location recording for me and it records in the format in my original post. It won't do .wav. I was hoping to find some conversion software. So far, no luck. :(

Scott

TotalSonic
03-04-2009, 07:02 PM
Unfortunately real time transfers were pretty much par for the course back in the mid 90's. Sometimes I miss all those billing hours loading mixes in and out of DAT's, ADAT's, DTRS's to the DAW used to give you. But I definitely don't miss the p.i.t.a. all these were though! Only real solution is to use a portable recording device that gives you all the channels you want and records wav or other standard and easily portable files. ummm... like a laptop loaded with SAW!

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Scott P
03-04-2009, 08:23 PM
like a laptop loaded with SAW!

Well... that's what I use. Unfortunately, he doesn't.

At least not yet. ;)

Scott

Dave Labrecque
03-05-2009, 11:55 AM
Scott,

How big of a deal is it to set up the transfer and go to lunch? Or bed?

I've done this with the D-90s. It's pretty simple.

You know you can set a stop position down the time line in SAW on the control track for unattended recording, right?

Scott P
03-07-2009, 12:01 AM
Dave,

I could do that. I'm just trying to avoid it. This is a bunch of separate takes that I need to be able to import one at a time. If I run it all in at once, it'll be one big file several hours long that I may only need a few minutes of. Once I archive it, I'll be forced to import the whole file for just a fraction of it.

I know I could get it into SAW and then slice it up, etc, but that's still a lot of time.

Thanks,
Scott

Dave Labrecque
03-09-2009, 01:31 PM
Dave,

I could do that. I'm just trying to avoid it. This is a bunch of separate takes that I need to be able to import one at a time. If I run it all in at once, it'll be one big file several hours long that I may only need a few minutes of. Once I archive it, I'll be forced to import the whole file for just a fraction of it.

I know I could get it into SAW and then slice it up, etc, but that's still a lot of time.

Thanks,
Scott

Scott,

OK, but consider how quick it would be to walk in in the morning, chop, chop, chop, then extract or trim session (which could also be done during lunch). I'm not sure how you'd be able to transfer the takes one at a time, anyway, even if you could do it directly from the HDDs IDE'd into your computer. Unless each take is captured in discrete files, and you know which is which. And IF that's the case, your picking and choosing wouldn't be much quicker than chopping and trimming, would it?