PDA

View Full Version : SAC In Action At Harrah's Hotel In Las Vegas

Bob L
03-11-2009, 09:43 AM
Here is a look at the Harrah's Hotel SAC setup, live in action. It should already play in the High Quality mode (although the footage is pretty raw anyway)... if not, click the HQ button, if you see it in the bottm right corner of the video window.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLlsf6qoySw&fmt=18

Enjoy.

Bob L

Wink0r
03-11-2009, 10:26 AM
WOW!!

That makes shivers.

Naturally Digital
03-11-2009, 10:34 AM
Looks and sounds great Bob. Good job!

ecroxford
03-11-2009, 10:49 AM
AWESOME !!!!

Marvin
03-11-2009, 10:55 AM
wow, good job! as stated, looks and sounds great! the power and flexibility of SAC will amaze a lot of people, I'm sure.

* beep beep Ladies and gentlemen, we are now entering a new era beep beep *

HapHazzard
03-11-2009, 11:42 AM
Very Very Very Impressive! WOW
Hap

Pedro Itriago
03-11-2009, 12:20 PM
Simply amazing Bob. Kudos!

Angie
03-11-2009, 02:02 PM
Really Great!

sebastiandybing
03-11-2009, 02:49 PM
Really good to watch, sure it will generate some interrest
in SAC and SAW:D.

Was wondering if the SAWstudio machines is running from show start to the end, or he triggers them doing the show ?

Sebastian

Trackzilla
03-11-2009, 04:22 PM
Very sharp!

It's so cool to see vids of a big, convoluted, high profile show and NOT be suffering from gear envy! I HAVE that system! woooohoooo!

I've been describing this to people as:
"For the first time ever, I spend absolutely no time during a show thinking 'I could fix that easily if I had ___ available in the rig'. Whatever ___ is, I have enough of them."

mako
03-11-2009, 04:49 PM
Excellent clip - great stuff Bob.

If I hadn't already done some successful SAC live shows myself, I think I'd be wondering if this system could really carry all this off without costing an arm and a leg.
Truth is folks - yes it can - at minimal cost compared to full hardware.
There's no B.S. here - as it's shown is how it happens - even to the multiple monitor systems.

Great fun

cheers

mako

William Bushnell
03-11-2009, 04:58 PM
Bob, very impressive! I hope I can see it in action during NAB.

UpTilDawn
03-11-2009, 05:06 PM
Fantastic!
We need to see much more!!:)

Bob L
03-11-2009, 09:20 PM
Sebastian,

The SAW rigs are triggered many times using the Show Control window... multiple edls assigned in sequence in the Show Control View. You can actually see a glimpse of the list of edls used in the one quick shot of the Master SAW machine sitting next to the images of the video switchers.

Bob L

Mike Bizanovich
03-11-2009, 09:29 PM
Bob:

Awesome stuff. Thanks for sharing. I can hear the cash register ka-ching, ka-ching!:D

Mike Bizanovich
Wheeling, WV

Bruce Callaway
03-12-2009, 02:45 AM
Very impressive....

Jesse
03-12-2009, 03:45 AM
Damn Bob!

That's Amazing :cool:

Mountain Media
03-12-2009, 03:51 AM
WOW! :D

DavidandMary
03-12-2009, 12:40 PM
Way to go Bob! You are a hero for musicians and audiences alike! Love the way you think...:)

bcorkery
03-12-2009, 04:08 PM
WHEW!! Let me catch my breath!!!!

Awesome! Thanks for sharing this. What did you use to edit the vid?

Bob L
03-12-2009, 04:27 PM
I use Edius (Old Canopus... now Grass Valley)... I do the video layout and transitions in Edius with basic source audio... then render and move the video to SAWStudio to do all the audio sound design and VO overdubs and final mix.... I rendered this one in SAWStudio... then did the final mpg2 conversion for YouTube.

In other cases, I take the final audio mix back into Edius and render there for higher resolution outputs.... trying to do serious audio work in Edius is just not even an option for me. :)

Bob L

caojungt@yahoo.com.cn
03-12-2009, 07:09 PM
what sound card been in use?

what buffer size been in use?

why use real mixer beside sac?

thx .

Bob L
03-12-2009, 08:23 PM
That system uses 2 RME RayDAT cards. I am running the show at 2 x 64 buffers.

The Soundcraft console stays in the booth because the showroom runs other day shows during the week, and different engineers are involved, so the hotel wanted to leave the analog console in place for that and as backup for SAC.

Bob L

caojungt@yahoo.com.cn
03-12-2009, 11:24 PM
thx bob.

another question,what is been in use the pc Desktops staff.

like:

CPU:
Board:
Chipset:
Memory:
Graphics:
HDD0:
windows xp or vista ?

Bob L
03-13-2009, 12:01 AM
CPU = Intel E8500
Motherboard = Asus P5Q-E
Chipset = Intel P45
Memory = 4 gbytes
Graphics = Diamond ATI Radeon HD4650
HardDrives = 2 Seagate Barracuda 500gbyte SATA
OS = Windows XP

Bob L

bcorkery
03-13-2009, 09:41 AM
I use Edius (Old Canopus... now Grass Valley).... trying to do serious audio work in Edius is just not even an option for me. :)

Bob LWhy would you? :D

caojungt@yahoo.com.cn
03-14-2009, 12:30 AM
CPU = Intel E8500
Motherboard = Asus P5Q-E
Chipset = Intel P45
Memory = 4 gbytes
Graphics = Diamond ATI Radeon HD4650
HardDrives = 2 Seagate Barracuda 500gbyte SATA
OS = Windows XP

Bob L

thx bob

last question.what wireless hui did you use?

i saw the vedio is aviom .and what is the whole name?

is it
A-16D Pro
A-Net Distributor?

what is the aviom that work for?and what is wireless hui the notebook use ?

thx again.

Bob L
03-14-2009, 01:42 AM
They have an Aviom system for the other shows... we ended up using it just as an in-ears amp box... we sent the monitor mixes from SAC to each of the chans to get it down to the stage.

I used a DLink Wireless N switch. Three antenna... I forget the model number.

Bob L

IraSeigel
03-22-2009, 06:50 PM
That system uses 2 RME RayDAT cards. I am running the show at 2 x 64 buffers.

Bob L

Bob, did you determine that this is as low as your rig COULD go, or NEEDED to go?

In a showroom such as Harrah's - with, what 11 monitor mixes on stage? - what did you determine were the maximum and minimum latency settings you could work with? What was your methodology for making your 2x64 determination?

Without getting into a complicated discussion, could you say Buffer Size + Samples = Latency? How do the number of buffers translate into ms of latency? In my Digiface driver, they give you a translation of # of samples to latency, so I don't have to ask that. :)

Thanks,
Ira

Bob L
03-22-2009, 07:03 PM
It's the buffer size times the number of buffers... 2 x 64 = ~3 ms... give or take what the converters may add.

The machine will do 1 x 32... but I chose to let it relax a bit... and not one performer has mentioned anything about latency... the current setting is actually about the same or a little less than the typical large Yamaha digital console values I have seen reported.

Bob L

IraSeigel
03-22-2009, 07:24 PM
It's the buffer size times the number of buffers... 2 x 64 = ~3 ms... give or take what the converters may add.

The machine will do 1 x 32... but I chose to let it relax a bit... and not one performer has mentioned anything about latency... the current setting is actually about the same or a little less than the typical large Yamaha digital console values I have seen reported.

Bob L

Yes, I'm sure that 3ms or so wouldn't be an issue for anyone!

So, in PRACTICAL terms (as opposed to technical terms :)) I could say that Buffers and Samples mean the same thing? Your statement above didn't use the word "Samples" (you said "number of buffers' instead of "number of samples").

Sorry for a question that I'm sure has been beaten to death here...
Ira

Bob L
03-22-2009, 08:04 PM
Your soundcard driver has settings for buffer sample sizes... 64 samples per buffer or 128 etc... SAC allows x number of buffers to be pre-loaded in order to allow a safetynet in case Windows goes off during a loop and steals cpu time for something else which would prevent the next buffer load from being filled... with no extra buffers prepared, this would then cause an audio glitch... with a few pre-loaded buffers, one of those is sent to the driver to keep the audio stream clean.

Your choice of size and number of buffers determines your latency... and your machine stability... too few and too small buffers on a slower machine will cause slipped (or not-filled) buffers... you have to determine what your machine can handle.

Bob L

Perry
10-25-2009, 10:38 PM
I just saw the video for the first time.. Whooo Hooo! Pretty awesome stuff! :)

Perry