PDA

View Full Version : My DA7 just died!

bcorkery
04-01-2009, 08:55 PM
I don't know what happened, but my DA7 jut died. I'm scrambling to get something working for tomorrow. So I'm going mixerless. I'm having trouble getting lightpipe into my Rosetta 800 from the RME card.

I'm able to get input to SAW but can't seem to get the signal back to the Apogee for output to the monitors.

I'm pretty much cross-eyed right now so I'm probably not thinking straight, but I have to get this rig up and running.

Any suggestions would be great. I'll plug away and check back from time to time.

TIA

bcorkery
04-01-2009, 09:08 PM
GC may be a good plan. I do have a 1202 that I may be able to get by with for the time being. I think the DA7, although it's not that old, is going to be hard to get parts for. I bought it pretty late in it's production life and it'll probably be tough to get a power supply, if that' even the problem.

Dave Labrecque
04-01-2009, 10:07 PM
I don't know what happened, but my DA7 jut died. I'm scrambling to get something working for tomorrow. So I'm going mixerless. I'm having trouble getting lightpipe into my Rosetta 800 from the RME card.

I'm able to get input to SAW but can't seem to get the signal back to the Apogee for output to the monitors.

I'm pretty much cross-eyed right now so I'm probably not thinking straight, but I have to get this rig up and running.

Any suggestions would be great. I'll plug away and check back from time to time.

TIA

Bill,

I feel for ya, man. First -- what RME card are you using?

When you say you're not getting output signal back to the Apogee, do you mean playback? Or do you mean you want to hear the live input at the output?

If the former: that's my default setup. Be sure you've selected the RME as the out device in SAW. That should already be there, though, right? Cuz that's how you normally have it set.

How 'bout clocking? What was master? The DA7? If so, you're going to have to change some settings to make either the RME or the Rosetta master. And the other, slave, of course. Also check the reference setting in the RME control panel. What's the reference? Lightpipe? (if so, which one?) Word clock?

If the latter (live input arriving at output), you either have to use SAW's tape style monitoring (Options menu under Auto Audio Monitor Switching Protocol) or mess with TotalMix. I think factory preset 3 does that for you.

Hope that helps.

bcorkery
04-01-2009, 10:25 PM
Of course it was a stupid mistake. I now have output! :D
Yes, I'm using the Digi 9636 as the master.

Now I have to config the Gentner, Telos, talkback, headphones and I'm probably forgetting something ... it's late and I haven't had dinner yet! :mad:

Dave Labrecque
04-01-2009, 10:31 PM
Of course it was a stupid mistake. I now have output! :D
Yes, I'm using the Digi 9636 as the master.

Now I have to config the Gentner, Telos, talkback, headphones and I'm probably forgetting something ... it's late and I haven't had dinner yet! :mad:

Glad you figgered it out, Bill. I've done that up-all-night thing setting up SAW for live mode operation (in that case it was for a radio broadcast the next day -- now THAT's pressure! :eek:)

Good luck! And sorry to hear about your Ramsa. :( Maybe mine's next? :confused:

bcorkery
04-01-2009, 11:07 PM
Arrrgh! I'm now getting the signal into the Rosetta but can't seem to get the Mackie to monitor it! I'm going for a burrito and take a fresh look at it when I get back. Seems every time I post here, I figure it out when I get back.

Here's hopin'!

studio-c
04-01-2009, 11:11 PM
Hey Bill, I have a Mackie Onyx 1640 you can borrow. 4 Sub busses. Also a Mackie 1402 and a couple of tiny Behringers, if you just need it for monitoring. I'll be at the studio around 10am. Gimme a shout if you need it. I'll have my phone on till midnight.

If it's a real pinch and you're doing voiceover, the vo studio is free much of the day tomorrow, I'm mainly editing in the other room. You're welcome to come up and record there. Whatever works for you bro.

Cheers,
Scott

bcorkery
04-05-2009, 10:20 PM
Hey Bill, I have a Mackie Onyx 1640 you can borrow. 4 Sub busses. Also a Mackie 1402 and a couple of tiny Behringers, if you just need it for monitoring. I'll be at the studio around 10am. Gimme a shout if you need it. I'll have my phone on till midnight.

If it's a real pinch and you're doing voiceover, the vo studio is free much of the day tomorrow, I'm mainly editing in the other room. You're welcome to come up and record there. Whatever works for you bro.

Cheers,
ScottThanks for the very generous offer.

I took my board to Pro Sound and they fixed it!!!

In the meantime I had a great experience with SAC and the Rosetta interface. At first I tried the adat connection and wasn't too happy with it but the firewire gave me no latency ... nada ... zip! It was as if I had a physical console there. My old Mackie 1202 wasn't a very impressive replacement for the DA7 though, no WOW factor at all. I'll have to shop around for a better controler.

Lot's of fun playing with this and I'm looking forward to making time to get serious about this.

studio-c
04-05-2009, 10:27 PM
Wow, very cool about SAC!!

bcorkery
04-05-2009, 10:45 PM
Yeah. I'm going to RTFM, roll up my sleeves and dig in! It really is a brave new world!

mikebuzz
04-06-2009, 09:23 AM
Power switch was faulty ( he forgot to turn it on ) LOL !

quick repair BTW.

I'm trying to talk my drummer ( doing live sound locally now ) into trying SAC but he's a P*&%Y and is SCARED !

LAter
Buzz

PS: I use SAW live for FOH/MON. + recording latency is low and it works fine for a 4 piece.

Pedro Itriago
04-06-2009, 10:10 AM
I'm trying to talk my drummer ( doing live sound locally now ) into trying SAC but he's a P*&%Y and is SCARED !.

He's just a drummer. Be kind with him.

Pedro Itriago
04-06-2009, 01:29 PM
"A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~
Mahatma Ghandi.

Mark

Which makes the fact that the weakest members get to choose the leader quite ironic. In a democratic group, that is. Is a drummer considered a weak member? :confused:

Dave Labrecque
04-06-2009, 03:27 PM
Which makes the fact that the weakest members get to choose the leader quite ironic. In a democratic group, that is. Is a drummer considered a weak member? :confused:

No necessarily, but the fact that they have a weak member is why they became a drummer in the first place. :p (or bought a really big car, or...)

bcorkery
04-08-2009, 02:39 PM
Power supply gave up the ghost. Although it might be impossible to find a replacement, the tech guy did some soldering and it's working fine ...

... for now.

That's why I want to look into a plan "B" now and that will include putting in some time with SAC to pick up the work flow speed.

studio-c
04-08-2009, 02:57 PM
Power supplies are pretty much garden variety electronics... a transformer and a couple of power diodes... it's fairly easy to get those repaired even by a tech without knowledge of the Ramsa board. Possibly even a television repair shop can do that kind of thing. They repair TV power supplies all the time. There are still a few up on Adams Avenue in University Heights/Kensington. I know you've had issues with the repair guys in the past, so that's a thought.

Scott

Power supply gave up the ghost. Although it might be impossible to find a replacement, the tech guy did some soldering and it's working fine ...

... for now.

That's why I want to look into a plan "B" now and that will include putting in some time with SAC to pick up the work flow speed.

bcorkery
04-08-2009, 03:06 PM
Odd that the folks on the DA7 forum are claiming you can't find one so ...

Every time I look at that lollipop, I get a sugar craving! :p

studio-c
04-08-2009, 10:09 PM
Every time I look at that lollipop, I get a sugar craving! :p

Maybe Dave can help you find one :)