PDA

View Full Version : Installing updates

razor
11-19-2004, 07:53 PM
Hi

Is it OK when installing updates to replace the configuration, mix, vst_plugins, vst presets folder inot the new saw folder or do I have to reinstall all of this stuff each time I upgrade?

Thanks

Phil

Perry
11-19-2004, 08:46 PM
Hi

Is it OK when installing updates to replace the configuration, mix, vst_plugins, vst presets folder inot the new saw folder or do I have to reinstall all of this stuff each time I upgrade?

Thanks

Phil

Ummmm.... that shouldn't be necessary. Maybe I don't understand the question though? When I install an upgrade of SAWStudio I install to the same default folder (C:\SAWStudio). It isn't necesary to replace any of the configuration files and that sort of stuff.

There isn't usually any need to make a "new" folder to install to... just install to the same original folder and this will only update the necessary files, while leaving all of your settings as before. VST plug-ins should not need to be reinstalled either... they will stay in the same SAWStudio VST folder as before without any changes. Updating SAWStudio won't affect these unless you purposely install to a new folder for some specific reason.

I believe SAWStudio has to be the easiest program to install and to update that I'm aware of. It takes only a matter of seconds. It should be very "hassle free"! :)

Perry

razor
11-20-2004, 12:51 AM
Thanks Perry

I like to keep previous versions installed just in case.

Yes SAW is the easiest to install I agree.

Maybe I am being over cautious

Cheers

Phil

Perry
11-20-2004, 01:04 AM
Thanks Perry

I like to keep previous versions installed just in case.

Yes SAW is the easiest to install I agree.

Maybe I am being over cautious

Cheers

Phil

:) Maybe!

Well, I do understand about being cautious and in the case of some software programs I am *very* cautious!

But in the case of SAWStudio, since it doesn't hook into the registry, I don't think there's much to be overly worried about. And you can always install a previous version back over a new version if necessary. On the rare occassion that there is some new bug introduced with an upgrade Bob is always all over it with a fix right away. It's not like we have to wait *forever* like some other programs for fixes.

If you want to be cautious of course one other thing you can do is what I usually do before installing anything that I have any concerns about... and that's to image my OS drive before making any changes. I use Drive Image, but there's Norton Ghost as well.

If you'd still rather install updates to a different folder though, as far as I know you would be ok to copy your preference files and such over to the new installation. If I'm wrong about that maybe someone will chime in with the correct info on this? :)

Cheers,

Perry

Mountain Media
11-20-2004, 03:54 AM
:)
If you'd still rather install updates to a different folder though, as far as I know you would be ok to copy your preference files and such over to the new installation. If I'm wrong about that maybe someone will chime in with the correct info on this?
Though I almost never have worried about SS updates, a couple of times when I was in the middle of a big project and wanted to add updated function, I would keep the previous copy as follows --

Copy the entire SAWStudio folder renaming it to whatever I wanted the backup to be. Then just install the update into SAWStudio as normal. This way, you have complete backup of the previous version, AND the update installed with all plug-in, templates, etc. in tact.

If you need to revert to the saved version, simply rename the backed up folder to SAWStudio after deleting or renaming the current updated folder.

Think this does what you were asking?

mghtx
11-20-2004, 06:26 AM

Yeah, it's "ok" if that's what you want to do. But why? I haven't had to reinstall anything with updates. Of course I don't go wild with tons of plugins so my system is really simple.

Copy the entire SAWStudio folder renaming it to whatever I wanted the backup to be. Then just install the update into SAWStudio as normal. This way, you have complete backup of the previous version, AND the update installed with all plug-in, templates, etc. in tact.

I have done this before but find I don't NEED to. The updates haven't done anything negative to my system.

Arco
11-20-2004, 07:10 AM
You most definitely do not have to worry about losing templates, preference files, plugins, etc.

Bob L
11-20-2004, 09:33 AM
What I always recommend is to simply download the update files into an Install folder of your choice so you always know where they are. Keep a few along the way that are a few versions back.

I usually setup my client machines with a C:\Install\RMLLabs folder. I also setup each product company folder in that install folder also, for drivers and other product updates from different companies.

When you download my updates, download the version.exe files right to the RMLLabs folder. Now you have each of the actual install.exe files in a safe place.

Install the update directly over your current SAWStudio. If there is a problem, simply install the last update file from the RMLLabs folder and it will overwrite you back to the last version.

In this way you really don't have to be bothered moving files around and backing up all your plugins and so forth.

SAWStudio will not destroy your preferences and links with its updates.

Bob L

razor
11-20-2004, 04:12 PM
Thanks Bob and All.

Some really good ideas here which I will incorporate into my work flow.

Its a very elegant instal process and its so easy to go backwards that I think I will just follow the regular instal path and keep the previous version .exe in a manufacturers folder as Bob suggests.

Thanks for all the good ideas

Phil