PDA

View Full Version : Like to scale down my Sac Setup

Ollie
04-29-2009, 07:58 PM
Oh my aching old back!

Ok live sound guys. I am getting too old to be carrying too much stuff. The main problem has been the size of the cpu box and fitting it in a case. So what are good choices for a small cpu case or portable pre-built small daw that will fit nicely in rolling case and I don't have to break my back?

I dig the concept of keeping the main setup on stage and then running a connection out to the FOH for controlling the system. Are there chepo laptops to be had to do this and give me screen real estate.

How are you all doing this?
Thanks for your input.

Ollie :)

Bruce Callaway
04-30-2009, 02:10 AM
FWIW, I use a HP Pavilion laptop with a 17 inch screen. It is easy to carry in a laptop bag. The screen is great and I setup SAC so that inputs, returns and the necessary outputs are all visible on a single screenshot. I plug it into an RME digiface with preamps all in a rack. A simple and easy setup plus it is not too heavy.

UpTilDawn
04-30-2009, 07:29 AM
At this stage, I am still getting plenty of use from a lunchbox design, plus preamps and a Digiface (or two) racked up in another case (as Bruce does).

The great thing about the lunchbox is that standard pc components are used, so replacing and upgrading them is a cinch and cost effective.

The downside is that the lunchboxes are too expensive (in my opinion), the power supply often is often too small and needs upgrading and (in my case) the 15" monitor lacks. (But at least I've gotten 6 good years out of mine).

DanT

HapHazzard
04-30-2009, 08:04 AM
I have my 24ch combo for the stag box (http://www.sawstudiouser.com/forums/album.php?albumid=6) and a $50 Toshiba WiFi Laptop for remote. Later for FOH, a GX620 ($150) Dell stripped of its case and in a wide case (like a bass guitar case) with 2 19" Samsung 940b ($100 each) and a ATI dual monitor card ($25). Fits in the Subaru:).

Hap

mycorn
04-30-2009, 10:45 PM
. Later for FOH, a GX620 ($150) Dell stripped of its case and in a wide case (like a bass guitar case) with 2 19" Samsung 940b ($100 each) and a ATI dual monitor card ($25). Fits in the Subaru:).
Hap

this is brilliant [swipe]

an ATA bass case might afford enough room
to build a custom housing for a atx mobo
w/duel monitor card

i had 2 more cats mix on my rig tonite

both of them computer literate

both of them pretty much "instantly" comfortable
[i did get the "i was a little worried" statement again]

but i think being able to afford more screen real estate
would help ease the "no faders ohkraphowdoi???" jitters

watching them work made me think
the 15.whatever notebook look cramped

altho it never _feels_ that way to me...

FWIW

mike

Ollie
05-01-2009, 08:04 AM
Hap,
Thanks for the pics. Where did you get a $50.00 Toshiba WiFi Laptop remote from? If I could pick up a cheapo laptop, that may be the ticket for me and then put another machine in a small case with the pres onstage.

I have my 24ch combo for the stag box (http://www.sawstudiouser.com/forums/album.php?albumid=6) and a $50 Toshiba WiFi Laptop for remote. Later for FOH, a GX620 ($150) Dell stripped of its case and in a wide case (like a bass guitar case) with 2 19" Samsung 940b ($100 each) and a ATI dual monitor card ($25). Fits in the Subaru:).

Hap