PDA

View Full Version : Using DIGICheck playback to simulate SAC inputs

905shmick
05-06-2009, 02:59 PM
Has anyone used DIGICheck to record and then playback multiple tracks via SAC? I was wondering if I'd be able to playback a DIGICheck recording and then mix it with SAC for training purposes.

Bob L
05-07-2009, 01:08 AM
You can do that with the SACLink... we call it "Virtual Band"... it's an awesome way to tune up the system without having the band needing to stick around for soundcheck.

Bob L

905shmick
05-07-2009, 06:18 AM
Thanks Bob,

What is required to enable the SACLink function ?

Bob L
05-07-2009, 06:32 AM
SAWStudio Lite or Full.

Bob L

Iain Westland
05-07-2009, 03:37 PM
ZING, brilliant sales plug there sir:D

take it you record the levels in, then play them back and adjust all your comps etc. so when the band come on your up and fireing

just moved the studio comp into its rack case, bought another ada800 so am about to start the playtime of the future game.

got a local studio/pa hire place interested in a hook up for recording etc.

need to get some money for the next set of updates

Iain

905shmick
05-24-2009, 04:11 PM
Any chance of releasing a SAC specific tool for this that doesn't cost as much as Saw Studio? Basically something that will just record and playback, no track editing functionality required.

Bob L
05-24-2009, 05:47 PM
SAWStudio is already the cheapest solution for large format MT recording in a live environemnt... especially when it goes up to 64 live recording tracks in a coming update. :)

Bob L

RBIngraham
05-25-2009, 07:34 AM
SAWStudio is already the cheapest solution for large format MT recording in a live environemnt... especially when it goes up to 64 live recording tracks in a coming update. :)

Bob L

Ummmm... it's nice that's for sure, and it has the cool link to SAC, but sorry... it's not the cheapest. There is a lot of other software out there that is less expensive that can also do 64 tracks. Not saying it's not worth it, just saying it's not the cheapest solution.

:)

Richard

Bob L
05-25-2009, 09:45 AM
I meant that with the SAC and the SACLink to SAWStudio, this offers the cheapest and most efficient way to do a live show and also record the entire performance in a MT configuration... even old ADATS, DA-88s, Fostecs... whatever else you find would cost more and require a splitter and extra connection snakes... especially when trying to get to 48 - 64 channels.... so why fight it... it makes good sense and is an awesome value.

Bob L

IraSeigel
05-25-2009, 09:55 AM
So Bob, with the SAW-SAC Link expanding to 64 tracks, as you alluded to, can you foresee an update to SSBasic that would allow, say, 8 tracks to link to SAC?

Ira

RBIngraham
05-25-2009, 09:56 AM
I meant that with the SAC and the SACLink to SAWStudio, this offers the cheapest and most efficient way to do a live show and also record the entire performance in a MT configuration... even old ADATS, DA-88s, Fostecs... whatever else you find would cost more and require a splitter and extra connection snakes... especially when trying to get to 48 - 64 channels.... so why fight it... it makes good sense and is an awesome value.

Bob L

My point was that there is cheaper software options out there that you could use to record the audio as well. Do they have the cool link right to SAC? No of course not, because that is your propriatary protocol and I understand why, because you want to sell copies of SAW as well as SAC. :)

But you could easily split a set of ADAT outputs to another computer and use your recording software of choice. Yes, it's not as slick and all in one box, but honestly... that's probably a good thing. And lets be honest.. SAW is far from one of the most popular DAW software apps out there. I'm not going to argue about it's benefits and drawbacks compared to teh other options available, but if you have to take your tracks to anyone else or share them with any one else, if you used SAW you would likely have to transfer them all over to another DAW anyway. :)

Just saying...

Because if I had to record a show I was mixing in SAC, I wouldn't fight it.. I would figure out a way to pay for a copy of SAW. But it's dishonest to not point out that there are other software apps out there that cost less than SAW. :)

Richard

Iain Westland
05-25-2009, 10:07 AM
fair point, if you have all the equipment (2 comps extra s/cards etc) then yea, its not gonna be the cheapest option.

bang for bucks and ease of use, little to compare, but i'm biased,

Iain

Bob L
05-25-2009, 12:03 PM
Well Richard... of course you can use whatever you want to record... whatever is your favorite... no argument... is that a cheaper option... I doubt it with the extra computer, snakes, soundcard an/or the adat splitter and software involved.

And... forgive me if I am biased as to the sound quality of SAWStudio... I would not want my sound being recorded anywhere else.... and to turn over the tracks to another DAW is as simple as handing the live recorded tracks over on a hard drive right after the show... no editing has been done, so the wav files will open in virtually any DAW directly placed on that DAW's MT.

So... SAWStudio is just one viable option I offer to go along nicely with SAC... but... everyone has the right to choose.... I'm certainly not forcing SAWStudio down anyone's throat.... it's just one option... and a very cost effective one at that.

Bob L

RBIngraham
05-25-2009, 12:16 PM
Well Richard... of course you can use whatever you want to record... whatever is your favorite... no argument... is that a cheaper option... I doubt it with the extra computer, snakes, soundcard an/or the adat splitter and software involved.

And... forgive me if I am biased as to the sound quality of SAWStudio... I would not want my sound being recorded anywhere else.... and to turn over the tracks to another DAW is as simple as handing the live recorded tracks over on a hard drive right after the show... no editing has been done, so the wav files will open in virtually any DAW directly placed on that DAW's MT.

So... SAWStudio is just one viable option I offer to go along nicely with SAC... but... everyone has the right to choose.... I'm certainly not forcing SAWStudio down anyone's throat.... it's just one option... and a very cost effective one at that.

Bob L

Fair Enough. Sorry to cause a stir... LOL...

I give, I give!!! I'll record my tracks in SAW. :p

Not that I really do much recording of shows... But I do agree that it's a very slick set up, and I wouldn't argue that it's not affordable or competitiely priced, when you consider all the other costs saved.

Thanks,

Richard

Leadfoot
05-25-2009, 05:13 PM
No of course not, because that is your propriatary protocol and I understand why, because you want to sell copies of SAW as well as SAC. :)
Richard

I think the more time you spend around here, you'll realize Bob's motivation is not sales. It is a much more noble effort.

Tony

Bud Johnson
05-26-2009, 06:09 AM
I think the more time you spend around here, you'll realize Bob's motivation is not sales. It is a much more noble effort.

Tony
To free the world of bad sounding things?:D

RBIngraham
05-26-2009, 06:35 AM
To free the world of bad sounding things?:D

Bob is going to make farts, RF interference and Dick Chenney go away? Wow! That is impressive!

:D

Richard

Bud Johnson
05-26-2009, 06:49 AM
Bob is going to make farts, RF interference and Dick Chenney go away? Wow! That is impressive!

:D

Richard
His vision isn't that limited. Set the gate threshold and all politicians go mute!

RBIngraham
05-26-2009, 06:52 AM
His vision isn't that limited. Set the gate threshold and all politicians go mute!

Sweet... so if we gate them, then their mouths only open when something of actual importance needs to be said, right? :p

I calculate that will be about once per quarter at best.

905shmick
06-01-2009, 01:31 PM
Will the SSLite demo work with SAC-Link to allow me to test it out?

IraSeigel
06-01-2009, 01:40 PM

Yes.

DominicPerry
06-01-2009, 01:40 PM

Reckon so.

EDIT: Just tried it. Works fine but you are limited to 8 input tracks in SAWLite - a demo limitation.

Dominic

905shmick
06-04-2009, 09:14 AM
Would you mind giving me the 30 second run down on how to get this to work from the SAW side?

DominicPerry
06-04-2009, 02:31 PM
Would you mind giving me the 30 second run down on how to get this to work from the SAW side?

Sure.

I'm assuming you already have your input/output device assignments sorted out in SAC.

1. Install demo of SSLite in default folder. Or another folder, doesn't matter.
2. Launch SAC and launch SAWLite, any order.
3. Go to SAW, choosefrom the menu Options -> Activate SAC link.
Now you can hit the [SAC-link] and [SAW-link] buttons in the top left to flick from one program to another.
4. In SAW, click on one of the little red REC buttons, just to the right of the track labels in the Multitrack window (it's the window with the 00:00:00.000 and transport buttons). This will then prompt you to save the session (called an .edl). Just pick or make an empty folder somewhere and save the file with a name.
5. Now a Record Transport window will pop up, and a meter. Above the meter are two little windows - Track (01) and Input (C-01L). Left-click on the (C-01L) and you get a list of the source for the input - have a look, it should be a SAC channel , channel 01. You can change it if you want.
6. Now click on another little red REC button and the next channel pops up. SAW will sequentially choose the next SAC channel.
7. When you've got enough channels (remember, max 8 in the demo), get SAC's engine running if you haven't already, and in SAW hit REC RDY on the Record Transport. You should get meters flicking. Hit REC and you'll start recording.

Let me know how you get on.

Dominic

905shmick
06-04-2009, 02:35 PM
Dominic,

Thanks for this. I'll try it out when I get home soon and yes, SAC is fully running with all input and output devices assigned.

905shmick
06-05-2009, 10:58 AM
I got this working last night. Thanks again for the help.

Now to see if I can get funding for a copy of SS Lite!

DominicPerry
06-05-2009, 11:03 AM
Excellent, glad to hear it. Don't forget Bob's Good Faith Agreement - see the SAW site for details. http://www.sawstudio.com/gfa.htm

Dominic

905shmick
06-05-2009, 11:05 AM
With the CAD so strong right now, it would be best to buy it outright in one shot!