PDA

View Full Version : Where do you see if there are any "slipped buffers"?

dbarrow
05-15-2009, 03:02 PM
I see numerous references to "slipped buffers". Where is this info listed? I don't think I have any, at least nothing listed in RME RayDAT screen.

DavidandMary
05-15-2009, 03:07 PM
It is right next to the fluorescent green button that turns the SAC engine on at the top left. Just a left click and the screen pops up unobtrusively telling that you have or have no slipped buffers. Ingenious design...:)

Bob L
05-15-2009, 03:18 PM
You actually click in the cpu load readout display at the top left corner of the SAC screen.

Bob L

Bud Johnson
05-16-2009, 07:56 AM
If Saw is set to tap SAC at the source, and it shows 0 slipped input buffers, does that mean the recording should be perfect, regardless of how many slipped output buffers?
Would it be different if SAW taps SAC post fader?

Bob L
05-16-2009, 08:02 AM
Yes, the recording should be good, even if there are slipped out buffers... and even if and when we can record pst fader... the recording may still be good, because the slipped out buffers may only be the fact that the entire mix did not make it in time... the individual channels may still have transferred without glitches to the recording.

Bob L

Bud Johnson
05-16-2009, 08:15 AM
That is good to know, and kind of what I presumed. It's only an issue on my fire wire laptop.
Interesting that I have never, on any of my systems seen a slipped input buffer!

Bob L
05-16-2009, 09:15 AM
In general... Windows will have to seriously interfere with the loop to cause a slipped input buffer... since the entire engine is now input driven...

This means that the instant the soundcard driver reports input data on all active inputs, the engine processes them and transfers the data into its own internal buffers... from there... the data is split and delivered to its various destinations... so even if the loop is interrupted now... the input has already been caputered... it would be the outputs that do not get properly processed due to the loop interuption.

Bob L

dbarrow
05-16-2009, 09:24 AM
Yes, the recording should be good, even if there are slipped out buffers... and even if and when we can record pst fader... the recording may still be good, because the slipped out buffers may only be the fact that the entire mix did not make it in time... the individual channels may still have transferred without glitches to the recording.

Bob L

I checked several times during my show last night and I had 12 slipped buffers on the output. I never heard anything unusual. I'm guessing it was due to changing some compressor and EQ plugin settings that were patched into the output: WaveArts Multiband Dynamics and Waves REQ6.

Trackzilla
05-17-2009, 03:41 PM
Probably a good assumption, 3rd party plugs (even good ones) have been the culprit on almost all slipped out buffers I've seen....except for my 'USB to VGA adapter' mistake (the lesson there being: don't try that-the usb video stream gets priority over the audio stream in XP!)