PDA

View Full Version : SAC as a surround processor?

Scott P
05-28-2009, 10:20 AM
I have a friend with a pretty nice home theatre who is in need of a processor that he can control from his seat.

I've been using SAW for a long time and I'm wondering if anyone has tried this and if you have any suggestions.

The idea is to use SAC (in a desktop) as the processor and him have a laptop at his seat, maybe even a "mini" laptop as a controller.

Any suggestions, ideas?

Thanks! :D:D
Scott

dbarrow
05-28-2009, 10:27 AM
I have a friend with a pretty nice home theatre who is in need of a processor that he can control from his seat.

I've been using SAW for a long time and I'm wondering if anyone has tried this and if you have any suggestions.

The idea is to use SAC (in a desktop) as the processor and him have a laptop at his seat, maybe even a "mini" laptop as a controller.

Any suggestions, ideas?

Thanks! :D:D
Scott
What does he need to control? If he has a bunch of discrete signal sources, it would sure do that. Don't most DVDs or other media that have surround encoding already have that mixed? How would you change it?

I have a friend in NY that's looking into using SAC as a controller for an upscale home sound system. It would route various sources to various sets of speakers located throughout the house. SAC would be great for that. It would probably also be good in theme park applications where different sources needed to be routed to various speakers on cue. This could all be automated, I imagine.

tatkin
05-28-2009, 10:33 AM
Remember that SAC only switches audio... most home theaters also use video which needs to be switched along with the audio source(s).

I would think that for home theater you would want an integrated audio and video switching/distribution system.

Gee... the Theme Park application sounds very interesting though! Wouldn't that be fun to put together:D

Tom

Scott P
05-28-2009, 11:12 AM
What does he need to control? If he has a bunch of discrete signal sources, it would sure do that. Don't most DVDs or other media that have surround encoding already have that mixed? How would you change it?

Honestly, I'm not entirely sure. I think that may be one more hurdle. But I think he has line-level outs to his amps and could insert it there.

It's been a while since he and I talked and I'm just now free enough to think about it.

Basically, I think he wants to be able to EQ and balance each speaker, or pair of speakers in a 5.1 system. He may even go 7.1 when that's doable. This is an 8 ft high-def (?) projection system that looks pretty good to me.

What about ripping the video and audio to the PC and playing back via SAC? Does SAC have a video track or does that need to come via SAWstudio?

Thanks!
sp

DominicPerry
05-28-2009, 12:15 PM
SAC doesn't have a video track. Remember, SAWBasic doesn't integrate with SAC - you need lite or full.

Dominic

Scott P
05-28-2009, 12:56 PM
SAC doesn't have a video track. Remember, SAWBasic doesn't integrate with SAC - you need lite or full.

Dominic

That was what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure. That's really too much anyway. He really just needs to be able control the audio. That would be great.

sp :D