PDA

View Full Version : Motu firewire sync problems ???

mikebuzz
11-25-2004, 01:54 PM
:eek: I have 2 Motu 896hd's I can get 1 to sync and work properly ( some crackeling sometimes , resetting the drivers appears to fix this ) but when I hook up the other unit the 2nd unit goes to an unsync'd condition ??? and no audio is heard from the unit and the meters in SAW don't have any activity.

Any help out there regarding this problem ??? , I've been working with AudioAstronomer on this problem , we thing there may be a buffer overflow or a worm like sasser in the system ( I have scanned the system with Symantec and AVG virus software they cannot detect a virus ) There may be a non-detectable version of sasser out there from what we've read.

I have run a program called REGMON that monitors the registry , it detects bufer overflows in the Lsass.exe file and the SVCHOST.exe files , I reinstalled XP sp2 on the system this helped but the unlock condition still exsists with both units hooked up ???????????? HELP ME PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
Mike Buzz

SoundSuite
11-25-2004, 06:41 PM
I've never worked with these before, so just stabbing in the dark honestly...

If you can hook either up by itself and it works 'fine', then adding the 2nd it fails, it sounds like a clocking/sync issue.

If there is nothing in the MOTU applet (or there is no applet) to tell the devices which is master/slave, etc, have you tried using the wordclock or adat sync optins via the hardware?

Also, granted, the answer may or may not be there, but try looking thru MOTU's FAQ online relating to this issue you are having.

mikebuzz
11-25-2004, 09:41 PM
Jon I'm going to try using the wordclock to sync them tomorrow ( I think I have a bnc somewhere ?? ) BTW thanks for the reply this has been a stumper for shure !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Later
Buzz

Sebastian Eskildsen
11-25-2004, 11:12 PM
Hi Mike

I was doing a test with 2X896 2 weeks ago, because I hoped
that I could skip my pci audio cards.

I had the same problems as you describe, the first machine works the second
jump between sync and no sync, and I did sync the 2 machines together with a 75ohm bnc cable, and I did set the second machine to sync from word clock.
But no way, it won´t work.

One thing I notice on Motu´s web site is that they recomend Firewire chips from Motorola, and mine is made by Via. Maybe thats the problem.

Sebastian

AudioAstronomer
11-25-2004, 11:48 PM
I actually run 2 and often 3 together at once with no problems. Mike pointed to a possible issue where motu has released a bad "batch" of the 896hd's that require a firmware revision. I will be looking into this tommorow. Mine work with just a serial firewire cable.

You can run one box as a standalone converter though just fine.

mikebuzz
11-26-2004, 03:04 PM
Robert there has to be a way to poll the 896hd to see what firmwear version it is running let me know when you get hold of Motu , this needs to be sorted out , I tried the wordclock syncing ( but I have no external wordclock source ???? DUH )

Later
Buzz

Bob have you seen this before ????????????????????

Bob L
11-26-2004, 06:27 PM
You're not going to like my answer... yes I have seen these kinds of problems before... and it all seemed to boil down to the Motu's.

I generally stay away from anything from Motu on a PC... they have been nothing but horror stories for me doing tech support.

The drivers have been very weak in my opinion, and appear to still fall into that category. They can work, and then they also can wreak havoc. There just always seems to be little hassles with something along the way... I never really ever feel like I can get them running full out perfectly.

I would still recommend going with the RME or Sydec cards if you have a choice in the future.

I know Robert uses the Motu and seems happy with them... I'm glad, but he is one of the very few over the years since I've been doing this.

I have seen so many people on the forums who have fought so hard to tweak their Motu boxes and have put up with so many updates and manipulations, only to finally put the boxes in the closet and purchase other soundcards, and then report that all their problems dissapeared.

That's just been my observation... take it for what its worth... I am not dissing Motu... but I am not recommending them either. :)

Bob L