PDA

View Full Version : Windows Media Player as input to SAC

hclague
06-13-2009, 09:05 AM
Hi All

How do I get Windows media player to be the input to a SAC channel?

Thanks

Hal

Alex
06-13-2009, 09:38 AM
Im not sure how this will work with my RME gear but on the laptop I can use the I/O thru the tascam for mics and speaker out and select the onboard soundcard on a channel input and Media player will show its signal on that input you will have to turn up the players volume and the windows volume control.

On the bad side it plays thru the laptop speakers and if I put in an 1/8 adapter it shuts off feed to SAC. I wil try it on the sever later today.

Alex

It may be simple but I use this method to apply a load to a test machine and select that input on 10ch's and let it run for days.

hclague
06-13-2009, 10:02 AM
Thanks Alex

I am also using a laptop for testing SAC right now since I haven't built my main computer yet. I am using a M-audio USB Duo for testing. this is a USB device. 2 channels in/2channels out.
1. I have set the windows Audio out device to the Duo
2. I have Set Out 1 in SAC to the Duo
3. I have set Stereo in Ch1 in SAC to the Duo

when I start everything up I get mostly static with a little bit of the music. The meters in SAC aren't registering much if any.

If I leave SAC turned off, the music is loud and clear through the Duo

What am I missing here?

The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 4150, 1.7 ghz with 1g of ram
Load in SAC shows no input buffers dropped and 2 output buffers dropped.

Preload buffers = 4
Buffer Size = 1024

SAC doesn't recocgnize the Duo if I choose the ASIO option??

Any help is greatly appreciated

Hal

Naturally Digital
06-13-2009, 02:38 PM
You might want to try this:

http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.html

Bob L
06-13-2009, 06:01 PM
You probably will have no luck using SAC if you are using the MME drivers... you must select ASIO for use with that M-Audio card.

Once you have ASIO working you then can probably get your buffer sizes down to a more realistic realtime latency with perfect auido output and stability.

Now... as far as trying to playback audio tracks thru SAC... a very simple solution is the FREE LoopaZoid VST plugin... load up your wav files into each trigger slot and you can playback straight on a SAC chan without trying to route signals out and back around and into the computer.

A better choice would be SAWStudioLite or Full if you want full control of track and show playlists with multitrack capabilities as well as trigger and remote possibilities.

Bob L

Alex
06-14-2009, 10:02 AM
Its an old laptop using a Tascam us122 I will plug it in later and check it out and get back to you on driver setup. I have also used sound mapper in the past but not with SAC.

Alex

Trackzilla
06-14-2009, 05:03 PM
I had no choice with media player other than to assign it to the motherboard AC97 soundcard and cable that back to a couple of MOTU inputs to bring them into SAC. I played with a friend's OTSAudio and it allowed direct access to the ASIO drivers by channel pair, but I still had to dedicate a pair for it to use as output & cable those back into SAC...
The MOTU stuff I'm using will allow windows to access ch 1&2 for it's sounds like media player, and simultaneously allow SAC to use the rest as ASIO, BUT! it gets very ugly if you try to access a playback media with a sample rate that differs from that set in SAC ;)

Bob L
06-14-2009, 08:41 PM
LoopaZoid patched into a SAC chan is a very simple way to playback wav files... and they can be triggered from a midi keyboard if needed.

Bob L

hclague
06-14-2009, 08:58 PM
Just an Update... I spent some time with the Demo yesterday and switched to using my M-Audio Mobille-Pre instead of the old Duo. I got the Mobile-Pre to work with an external MP3 player in one channel and a Mic in the other. This is good enough for now for me to do some testing before I get my box built. I will probably use Trackzilla's suggetion and do an external loop of some kind for mp3 playback to start.

If it's possible I might try to send the output of the windows Media Player to the SPDIF out of the RME card and then loop the RME SPDIF In/Out and assign a SAC channel input to the RME SPDIF In. Does this sound feasible?

Thanks for all the replies

Hal

Alex
06-15-2009, 09:52 AM
Hal

The setup I told you only seems to work on my Dell X200 not sure why? I does crackle and pop in every config on the HP an Compaq laptops with the same setup.

I also tried AISO ALL and Virtual cable no luck just a good flute on the x200

Alex

dbarrow
06-15-2009, 02:09 PM
If it's possible I might try to send the output of the windows Media Player to the SPDIF out of the RME card and then loop the RME SPDIF In/Out and assign a SAC channel input to the RME SPDIF In. Does this sound feasible?

This is what I did. I have an RME RayDAT card. I routed WinAMP to the RayDAT SPDIF out and then selected SPDIF In on a SAC channel for WinAMP playback. I control WinAMP remotely from FOH using BrowseAMP, a WinAMP plugin that allows remote control over a network via a browser.

I used a similar philosophy to record. I routed a separate main out to the AES Out of the RayDAT and then selected the RAyDAT AES In as the input source in WaveLab. I assign all the inputs in SAC to the additional recording main out as well as main out 1, which goes to the sound sytem. I even have the WaveArts Multidynamics plugin across each of the main outs as a multiband compressor. I record to a 16GB USB memory stick, which I then remove and take with me before the SAC rack gets loaded on the truck.