PDA

View Full Version : New SAC Convert RME Hammerfall 9652 or HDSP 9652

CyberTronics
06-17-2009, 09:45 AM
I wish to commend Bob for this software. It is sweet sounding. Just testing it in my studio. It produces a very clean and pleasing tone.

I currently have Yamaha DSP factories cards and have been trying out SAC with them. I cannot get stable audio with latency buffer set below 4 x 1024. Hence i need new cards.

So I am looking to get some RME cards. I have seen from the threads here that the new Raydat is the card of choice. However I am looking to add 24 inputs at a time up 72 channels on PCI cards and is looking at their other 24 ADAT input models.

I want to know of any disadvantages of getting the Hammerfall 9652 over the HDSP 9652.

Anyone using the Hammerfall 9652? Will available drivers be adequate for Live mixing needs?

DaveS
06-17-2009, 09:52 AM
I have a machine with two Hammerfall 9652's in it and they work fine. My other mahcine has a HDSP 9652 in it. I like the HDSP because it has Total mix for direct monitoring, 2 x midi ports, plus I believe the drivers for it will give you latency settings down to 32 - not %100 sure on that.

If you can get the Hammerfalls cheap enough I don't think you would be disappointed. But if it's only a little more for a HDSP then I would go with it.

DominicPerry
06-17-2009, 10:03 AM
I'm using the Digi 9636/52 at 1x64 buffers, although at the moment I only use 10 channels (1xADAT + S/PDIF). It has never dropped a single buffer. The Digi 9636/52 has the advantage of not using Totalmix, which is an idea which appeals to many here. So my point is, either of the cards you mentioned will do fine, although of course, the newer the card, the longer you will get support (in the shape of updated drivers) from RME.

My machine is an AMD Phenom II 720 BE running at stock speed in an Asus M4A78T-E board (which is a AM3 socket with DDR3 memory). So it's a new machine, but not a hot-rod.

Dominic

CyberTronics
06-17-2009, 10:47 AM
Thanks Guys for your the responses.

I can get the Harmmerfall for about 2/3 the price of the HDSPs. Other than the latency issue I am concerned about how future proof the (hammerfall) will be in the context of SAC updates. Maybe Bob could say.
Specifically, with the current drivers from RME do you see any feature enhancements in SAC that will require new drivers than those currently available for hammerfall? (My DSP Factory makes me a little unsure) Perhaps RME will support their cards for a longer time.

Am correct in thinking that other total mix there is no other differences between the two?

DaveS
06-17-2009, 11:07 AM
HDSP also has 2x midi ports, so if you want to use say a Behringer BCF2000 to control SAC you would have a midi port available.

2/3 the price - that's a tough call. For one card I personally would go for the HDSP. Two cards and I would probably opt for the Hammerfalls.

Bob will have to say if any further SAC developments would require cards with more features then what the Hammerfalls have. I personally don't see where there would be a call for something other then a good, low-latency card, which the Hammerfalls are. The issue would be as you mentioned - future support by RME - as in updating drivers for new operating systems or issuing fixes to compensate for current OS updates (like a service pack that might potentially break something....etc,)

905shmick
06-17-2009, 11:10 AM
HDSP also has 2x midi ports, so if you want to use say a Behringer BCF2000 to control SAC you would have a midi port available.

From what I understand, most people (myself included) have their BCF2000 hooked up via USB.

ffarrell
06-17-2009, 11:21 AM
HI

I have about 10 of the digi9652's and they work fine.

RME has moved on to PCIe buss and that is the biggest thing.

Also the driver has stop at 2.11 for Windows.

I would get the digi9652 BUT know your buying into older tech and that is one of the reasons why the price is less.

I personlly like NOT having the mixer of the DSP.

thanks
fvf

Thanks Guys for your the responses.

I can get the Harmmerfall for about 2/3 the price of the HDSPs. Other than the latency issue I am concerned about how future proof the (hammerfall) will be in the context of SAC updates. Maybe Bob could say.
Specifically, with the current drivers from RME do you see any feature enhancements in SAC that will require new drivers than those currently available for hammerfall? (My DSP Factory makes me a little unsure) Perhaps RME will support their cards for a longer time.

Am correct in thinking that other total mix there is no other differences between the two?

Bob L
06-17-2009, 11:30 AM
No specific driver needs coming up except for fast and stable performance, and the RME drivers have always excelled at that.

The older cards should be fine...

TotalMix is of little use inside SAC, although there are some interesting internall chan assignments you could do to record to outside hardware or software... but... if you add SAWStudio Lite of Full to the picture who have full performance multitrack direct recording and virtual band playback anyway.

Bob L

CyberTronics
06-17-2009, 08:13 PM
This is good valuable info. Thanks Again.

Ffarrell, I am very interested in the digi9652 if its the Digiface 9652 you are referring to. The flexibility of using it on the laptop or on the desktop is very appealing to me.

How many digi9652 can be used with laptops and desktops? How are multiple units connected to one machine.

Bob L
06-17-2009, 08:46 PM
The HDSP units are the ones that can switch between the laptop and desktop using the DigiFace or MultiFace boxes with TotalMix... these are more expensive.

Bob L

DominicPerry
06-18-2009, 03:33 AM
This is good valuable info. Thanks Again.

Ffarrell, I am very interested in the digi9652 if its the Digiface 9652 you are referring to. The flexibility of using it on the laptop or on the desktop is very appealing to me.

How many digi9652 can be used with laptops and desktops? How are multiple units connected to one machine.

The Digi9652 is the Digi 9636/52, not the digiface. It is the Hammerfall 9652 which you originally referred to. He wasn't talking about the Digiface.

Dominic

CyberTronics
06-18-2009, 04:31 AM
Thanks for the clarification.

How do you get multiple digiface9652 connected to laptop or desktop?

Bob L
06-18-2009, 04:51 AM
A laptop can only use one cardbus card (generally) for 24 chans of audio thru one DigiFace.

Some older laptops had two card slots, but that is rare today.

Bob L

DominicPerry
06-18-2009, 06:00 AM
Thanks for the clarification.

How do you get multiple digiface9652 connected to laptop or desktop?

Sorry, I don't think you are clear. There's no such thing as a digiface9652. It's either a Digiface or a Digi9652.
The Digiface is an external breakout box connected to a dedicated PCI or PCIe card in the desktop or PCMCIA or PCExpressCard in a laptop.
The Digi9636/52 is a PCI card (also known as Hammerfall 9652).
The HDSP9652 is a PCI card (with Totalmix software support).

You can put upto two Digifaces on a laptop if you have two PCMCIA card slots or PCExpressCard slots.
You can put three Digi9636/52 cards in a PC if you have three empty PCI slots.
You can put three HDSP9652 in a PC if you have three empty PCI slots.

Hope this helps.

Dominic

CyberTronics
06-18-2009, 06:41 AM
Thanks guys for clearing this up for me.

I just put in an order for one of the HDSP9652. Hope to add more as time goes.

"Bob L
TotalMix is of little use inside SAC, although there are some interesting internall chan assignments you could do to record to outside hardware or software... but... if you add SAWStudio Lite of Full to the picture who have full performance multitrack direct recording and virtual band playback anyway."

Bob L
Good you expand on this. I am a sonar user and would love to know if through "Total Mix" I could record to Sonar or any other DAW on the same computer running SAC.

Bob L
06-18-2009, 09:06 AM
I believe others have used the DigiCheck software to route signals thru TotalMix to record in the background... I have never done it, so we will have to rely on someone here to explain.

Bob L

DaveS
06-18-2009, 09:32 AM
From what I understand, most people (myself included) have their BCF2000 hooked up via USB.

LOL - yea, I do to. Not sure what I was thinking about when I made the comment...though you could use it with midi if you wanted to. The point I was trying make was that you had midi in ports on the HDSP - not twith .the older Hammerfalls