PDA

View Full Version : How do I save A view to an F-Key?

hclague
06-19-2009, 12:23 AM
Hi All

The title says it all. I couldn't find this in the Manual or help file.

Thanks

Hal

ambler
06-19-2009, 12:44 AM
Hold down 'Shift' and press the F key you want to save it to.

Mark

Bob L
06-19-2009, 01:19 AM
Which manual are you reading? :)

From the HelpFile:

Creating WorkSpace Views

One of the biggest time-saving tips for working in SAC is in this section.
As you work with SAC and become more comfortable with the interface, you may wish to change the view of the main screen by moving and sizing the different windows to more easily facilitate your work. The Function-Keys are reserved as WorkSpace View Holders. You can arrange any combination of windows however you like and save them to a Function-Key by pressing the Shift key along with the desired function key.

Pressing the applicable function key alone will instantly restore the WorkSpace to the saved view making it extremely quick and easy to navigate to different views within the same session. These function key sets can be saved in files for instant loading of different WorkSpace sets.

SAC comes by default with a set of function key assignments already built-in. You should review these defaults by pressing each Function-Key and get familiar with the different views. These can be overwritten with new function key assignments at any time.

Assigning A Workspace View To A Function Key
After arranging the SAC display to your specifications, press [Shift-F1] (or whatever function key you wish to assign the current view to.

For another layer of function key assignments, press [Alt-Shift-FunctionKey] for a total of 24 workspace views on a 12 function key keyboard.

To recall the view, press the assigned function key such as [F1], or press [Alt-FunctionKey] for the second layer of alternate workspace views.

When assigning a workspace view to a function key, the active window information is also saved. Before saving your current view to a function key, be sure to click on the window you wish to have as the active window when accessing that view.

Saving Function Key Assignments
After assigning desired workspaces to function keys, from the File menu select F-Key File | Save. The Save F-Key File dialog box is displayed. Enter an F-key filename and click Save to save the file with an .fky file extension.

Saving Alternate Function Key Assignments
After assigning desired workspaces to the alternate function keys, from the File menu select F-Key File | Save Alternate. The Save F-Key File dialog box is displayed. Enter an F-key filename and click Save to save the file with an .fky file extension.

Opening An Existing Function Key File
From the File menu, select F-Key File | Open. Choose the desired .fky file and click Open. This will load the complete set of workspace views from that template.

Opening An Existing Alternate Function Key File
From the File menu, select F-Key File | Open Alternate. Choose the desired .fky file and click Open. This will load the complete set of alternate workspace views from that template.

Saving The Current Function Key Setup As The Default
From the File menu, select F-Key File | Save Default. A confirmation prompt is displayed. Click OK to accept the changes, or click Cancel to close the dialog box and cancel the operation.

To Clear The Default Function Key File
From the File menu, select F-Key File | Clear Default. A confirmation prompt is displayed. Click OK to clear the file and revert back to the internal F-key defaults, or click Cancel to close the dialog box and cancel the operation.

Whenever the default F-key file is saved, the current workspace view becomes the default startup view.

Bob L

hclague
06-19-2009, 07:56 AM
Thanks Guys

I was confused on semantics adn didn't search Workspace. Duh.:o

Hal

IraSeigel
06-19-2009, 08:20 AM
Perhaps under Info|Help Contents, and using the Index tab, if an "F-Keys View" entry were included, it would be easier to search for this topic. Right now there is just an "F-Key File" entry, which doesn't bring you to the Views topic.

Of course, this would only be utilized by users who refuse to RTFM.:):o

Ira

Bob L
06-19-2009, 08:32 AM
I just tried using the Find tab in the helpfile and the first thing I typed was F-key and the first entry that came up was Creating WorkSpace Views, which took me directly to what I showed in my last message...

I'm not quite sure why that is soooooo difficult. :)

Stop complaining and sit down and read thru the helpfile form beg to end... you will learn all kinds of things in that very short time... trust me... it's the easiest way to get a grasp on all this stuff... stop fighting it....

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!!!!!! :D

Bob L

IraSeigel
06-19-2009, 09:13 AM
Yes, before posting I performed the same search and came up with the same result that you did. :eek:

However, the poster said that he didn't know that, in SAW parlance, he was searching for "Workspace Views", but I assume he was searching for something like F-Key Views. So that's why I suggested including an "F-Key Views" in the Index tab.

But naturally, if he simply RTFM'd, he wouldn't have to waste his time with the online help;)...
:D

Added:
OK, I see in another thread that you're trying to get some updates out today. Sorry for my post. I don't mean to be a distraction...:)