PDA

View Full Version : Setup - No Audio

meuby
06-25-2009, 12:15 PM
Got my computer going, Raydat installed, ADA8000's connected via lightpipe...Live light is on....no signal on channel meter on screen.

Behringer is getting signal (can see it on front) and there was light in the cables coming from Behringers.

Any suggestions on common mistakes for first time users that I can try to fix?

905shmick
06-25-2009, 12:27 PM
Have you configured the audio devices in SAC and assigned inputs to channels?

Also, make sure that the RME totalmix software is running.

DominicPerry
06-25-2009, 02:02 PM
My thoughts,

ADAT cables the wrong way round - in to in and out to out instead of in to out and out to in.
RME needs to be set to Master (in RME control panel). ADA8000 must be set to slave (switch on the back).
SAC devices must be set up (as suggested by 905shmick). Choose Options -> Audio Driver Model -> ASIO and pick the HDSPe RayDAT. Then use Options -> Audio Device Setup. Check the devices appear against the Ins and Outs.
You won't get input meter lights unless you raise the input fader.

Dominic

gdougherty
06-25-2009, 09:55 PM
My thoughts,

ADAT cables the wrong way round - in to in and out to out instead of in to out and out to in.
RME needs to be set to Master (in RME control panel). ADA8000 must be set to slave (switch on the back).
SAC devices must be set up (as suggested by 905shmick). Choose Options -> Audio Driver Model -> ASIO and pick the HDSPe RayDAT. Then use Options -> Audio Device Setup. Check the devices appear against the Ins and Outs.
You won't get input meter lights unless you raise the input fader.

Dominic

I'm assuming you mean in TotalMix? SAC certainly does show input meters before by default unless you set the meter point post fade.
+1 on ADA8000's slaving via ADAT. I did that on my second one when I first connected it at a gig. That and proper optical cable routing were my first two thoughts.

DominicPerry
06-26-2009, 03:22 AM
I'm assuming you mean in TotalMix? SAC certainly does show input meters before by default unless you set the meter point post fade.
+1 on ADA8000's slaving via ADAT. I did that on my second one when I first connected it at a gig. That and proper optical cable routing were my first two thoughts.

No, I didn't mean anything to do with TotalMix. My input meters are set to be post-fader, they always have been, I thought that was the default. Maybe it isn't anymore but I've inherited preferences from version 0.1? I don't know. Worth checking anyway.
EDIT: Yes, you're right, a clean new install of 1.9 will make the Input meters SRC level, not post fader.

Dominic

gdougherty
06-26-2009, 10:01 AM
No, I didn't mean anything to do with TotalMix. My input meters are set to be post-fader, they always have been, I thought that was the default. Maybe it isn't anymore but I've inherited preferences from version 0.1? I don't know. Worth checking anyway.
EDIT: Yes, you're right, a clean new install of 1.9 will make the Input meters SRC level, not post fader.

Dominic

A long-time faithful user. The changes you must have seen over these many years :)

DominicPerry
06-26-2009, 10:15 AM
A long-time faithful user. The changes you must have seen over these many years :)

It hasn't been that long, the updates came thick and fast during the pre-release and early 1.x days. Is it six months? A year maybe? Even 0.1 was dead stable and very usable.

Dominic

gdougherty
06-27-2009, 09:15 AM
It hasn't been that long, the updates came thick and fast during the pre-release and early 1.x days. Is it six months? A year maybe? Even 0.1 was dead stable and very usable.

Dominic

It's hard to get sarcasm across on here. It's amazing to look through past forum posts and see the version numbers not so very long ago.

DominicPerry
06-27-2009, 11:35 AM
It's hard to get sarcasm across on here. It's amazing to look through past forum posts and see the version numbers not so very long ago.

Ah, I see :o.

Dominic

meuby
07-08-2009, 02:02 PM
Okay - sorry for the delay. Had to walk away from it for a few days. Status is below - thanks in advance for any assistance.

- Set the slave switch on back of ADA's to Slave ADAT In.

- Set the Clock to Master in RME control panel and got a "Sync" on ADAT's 1 thru 4

I'm using the Asio Protocol (which automatically populated all the ins/outs for me).

I'm attempting to run 6 ouputs to FOH (Stereo / Low, Mid, High). Currently trying to setup the left side and am using outputs 1, 3, and 5 on the back of the first ADA for the left side. 1 - Low, 3 - Mid, and 5 - Highs...all on LEFT side. I'm getting a signal from the Low output (it's on channel 1), but no signal is getting to my other amplifiers.

Also - when I solo output 3, the volume coming from the lows increases.

Bob L
07-08-2009, 02:05 PM
Do you have all the input chans assigned to the 3 master outs... make sure switches 1, 2 and 3 are pressed for each input chan to feed the signal to all 3 masters.

Also... do you have the masters assigned to the proper device outs?

Bob L

905shmick
07-08-2009, 02:06 PM
Your input channels default to output 1, you'll have to assign output 2 and 3 to them.

The solo device also defaults to 1&2 which you are using for Output 1. You'll probably need to change this as well.

meuby
07-08-2009, 02:10 PM
Bob - I'm so sorry for sounding ignorant...really trying to grasp this thing.

Regarding the assignments to the device outs - Is that in the audio driver setup, or by clicking the "O" on the main FOH screen?

meuby
07-08-2009, 02:25 PM
Okay...quick update. I think I've got them assigned, but here's something interesting:

When I bring up output "5" in the software, it's actually affecting output "3" on my top Behringer hardware. Is that because they are stereo since I'm using Asio? Can't I use these (and the inputs) as mono?

EDIT - Okay...this was my fault. I had changed the outputs on the back. I think we're getting closer...outputs are performing as expected now.

Will update soon (and probably ask more questions). Sorry for being such a noob.

Thanks!
Michael

gdougherty
07-08-2009, 04:04 PM
Don't forget it's a digital representation of an analog board with a boatload of features you'd not see built directly into one. Proper signal routing is still necessary.

mycorn
07-08-2009, 06:10 PM
ooops

didn see page 2...