PDA

View Full Version : A couple of feature requests... (or maybe I've missed these things)

airickess
06-29-2009, 08:12 PM
In Scenes, I'd like to be able to set the Auto Advance After Recall as a default. That way I don't have to teach the operator to set this function every time the Session is opened.
Also in Scenes, I'd like to be able to change the name of the scene within the window. Right now I can't find a way to change a scene name simply in the Scene window.
I'd like to be able to change font sized and colors for Scene names. So, for example, if I were doing a musical I could make the song scenes in a red italic font and the dialogue scenes in a black or blue regular font.
In Scenes, I'd like the scene currently up to be highlighted in some fashion. When in Auto Advance After Recall, I'd like the scene currently active to be highlighted in some fashion while the Next Scene is highlighted in a different fashion (maybe the currently active scene is highlighted with a green background while the next scene is highlighted in a yellow background).

On another subject, is the ability to label the input channels explained in the manual and I've somehow missed it? I'll be going over the manual again but I haven't found that yet.

UpTilDawn
06-29-2009, 09:40 PM
...On another subject, is the ability to label the input channels explained in the manual and I've somehow missed it? I'll be going over the manual again but I haven't found that yet.

Shift/left-click on the channel label to name a single channel, or Ctrl/left-click to name sequentials channels one after the other. Esc to end the naming, or just close the label name window with the mouse.

DanT

airickess
06-29-2009, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the information. I appreciate it.

Bob L
06-29-2009, 11:08 PM
You can save the Auto Advance Scene option as the default... just turn it on and save your default prefs.

I will put the color idea into the todo likst.

Be aware that there is a Sequence View window coming which is where you will be setting scenes and other cue options into a show running order... the scenes view will not be where you have to sequence a show from.

Bob L

gdougherty
06-29-2009, 11:20 PM
You can save the Auto Advance Scene option as the default... just turn it on and save your default prefs.

Be aware that there is a Sequence View window coming which is where you will be setting scenes and other cue options into a show running order... the scenes view will not be where you have to sequence a show from.

Bob L

Bob, at this rate if anyone ever decides to jump into the live mixing software arena to compete with you it'll take them 2 decades just to catch up ;)

txshonk
06-29-2009, 11:21 PM

Bob L

Bob -

Would the "other cue options" include links to the SAW Control Track?

Just curious.

Dave

RBIngraham
06-30-2009, 04:41 AM
Bob -

Would the "other cue options" include links to the SAW Control Track?

Just curious.

Dave

I thought that was already there as of the release of 1.9? Or did you mean going from SAC into SAW as opposed to the other way around?

Richard

RBIngraham
06-30-2009, 05:10 AM
Speaking of channel labels....

Bob is there any plans on maybe having some way to recall channel labels as part of the scenes?

The reason that I ask is that it's pretty popular in theatre to do VCA assignments on a cue by cue basis. (example, an actor that is in the chorus has his/her one solo part in the show, so they jump from the Chorus VCA to one of the "leads" VCAs and after that number they move back to the chorus VCA) So the "old school" method of dealing with this was just to put the spine from a 3 ring binder on your console (glued, taped or using magnets), and then make up a whole bunch of thin sheets of card stock you could flip through during the show. So your labels for the VCA faders would change as the show progresses.

Now with some of the digital consoles they have the LED scribble strips which can be changed on scene recalls. (in some consoles)

Maybe we could use something like this in SAC at some point? Or maybe you have a better idea... :)

Richard

airickess
06-30-2009, 09:26 AM

Bob LThanks for the response.
I'll be looking forward to this Sequence View window. But, why create a new window when you can simply give the Scenes View window the same functionality? It would seem to me that adding another window would make it fairly cluttered, even with the ability to customize the program view.
Maybe the Scenes section can be a special pop-up window where you can do your creating and editing of scenes. When you are done with the editing of your scenes then you save it and close it. Then this new Sequence View can simply reflect your running order and cannot be edited. That would keep the Scenes from being accidentally edited by a stray keystroke or novice operator. That would make sense. The Scenes View could also be password-protected if one chose to do so to prevent changes from being made during a run.
In my opinion this would make the program even better for theatrical use, especially for small theater applications when the designer doesn't know who the operator will be and can't know if the eventual operator has any experience.

Bob L
06-30-2009, 09:45 AM
Re-labeling chans with scenes is not my favorite idea... why not just switch to a different VCA group and just change the assignments back and forth with the scenes... the other VCA groups would already be labeled as solo chans.

The Sequence window will allow a pre-ordered list of scene changes and other cues to be set in a running show order... this then still leaves the Scene view window free for manual random scene changes that may do specific level adjustments or other mix element changes that are not prescribed as part of the programmed show list... much more powerful, in my opinion, than everything being in one window view list.

Bob L

RBIngraham
06-30-2009, 11:10 AM
Re-labeling chans with scenes is not my favorite idea... why not just switch to a different VCA group and just change the assignments back and forth with the scenes... the other VCA groups would already be labeled as solo chans.

Bob L

Well that would probably work just fine. But here is what is sort of typical. You might have 3 or 4 leads for a particular scene. That's VCA 1 - 4, those would have the names of the characters or the names of the actors, depends on how the mixer likes to work. I prefer character names myself, but I try to never force something on my board ops, unless they are students and I sort of have to do so. Then the rest of the VCAs are used for Chorus or band, or whatever. Then in the next scene, the lead characters are different actors, but we would use the same VCA faders 1-4 for the leads. This is so the board op spends most of his/her time concentrating on just the same tiny number of faders over and over again. I was just thinking that it would be nice if I could change the VCA(Group Latch in SAC terms) channel label to reflect which character it was controlling on a per scene basis. Rather than just having something generic like Lead 1, Lead 2, Lead 3, etc...

Now let me also add that I've only worked on desks that have 8 DCA or VCA faders, while SAC has up to 16. So in reality this might never be an issue as having 16 makes jumping around a lot less necessary.

But yes I would use the scenes to automate the routing of various inputs to different Group Latch faders during a show. I was just trying to think about a way I would label them on the screen that's all.

I was just sort of thinking out loud really more than saying I think it's a problem. I haven't mixed a show on SAC yet that is complex enough with wireless counts to have to deal with it yet, but I likely will in the fall. So my brain started thinking ahead. :)

Thanks,

Richard

txshonk
06-30-2009, 11:30 AM
I thought that was already there as of the release of 1.9? Or did you mean going from SAC into SAW as opposed to the other way around?

Richard

I need to play a little more - but I have been expirimenting with Midi into VSTi & audio tracks as backing tracks into SAC. I need to dig a little deeper but it seems there isnt a way to reorder the control track cue/stop markers without moving tracks along a timeline. And that seems to be a lot of effort to change song order of a set list. I was wondering if Scenes reordering might make that an easier process. If theres already an easy way to do this _ i'd love someone sharing.

Dave

Bob L
06-30-2009, 12:48 PM
If you want to do Show Control lists that can be altered on the fly... use the Show Control view... this view lets you keep each edl separate and as complex as they need to be... including Control Track cue information within that number... then you list them out in the Show Control view for the running order of the show... to change the order, simply Ctrl-Up/Dn arrow within the list and move the sequence around... nothing has to be edited within the actual edls themselves.

If you would rather use one long edl with a continuous Control Track... then learn how to use track selection (including the Control Track) and grab everything from one point to another to open up space and slide another number from one place on the timeline to the next... it's really not that hard to do once you learn how it all works... and it will retain all Control Track and automation elements in proper sync... but the Show Control is a nicer way to go for this type of continuously changing show sequence.

Bob L

txshonk
06-30-2009, 12:59 PM
Bob -

Thanks for the explaination - I had had seen the show control list but didnt understand the functionality and havent had the time yet to read or play with it.

I will definitely expirament with this - if I have questions I know where to go. :)

Dave