PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Signal Routing Problem

Dave Labrecque
07-02-2009, 04:55 PM
I'm working on a jingle demo with some VSTi's and a sole tracked guitar part so far (MWS helping the VSTi's make sound for now). I've had everything going straight to Output 1 (including an Aux Return 1 channel), and it's been working fine.

For reasons I won't bore you with, I have a need to switch everything to Output 2. It won't work. I've switched all output buttons on the virtual console to the Out 2 position, and no sound comes out during playback (no warning prompt, either). SF view does playback fine through Out Device 2, but the SS MT will not. The cursor moves, and the input channel meters show nothing.

Any ideas? :confused:

DominicPerry
07-02-2009, 05:14 PM
I bet if you shut SAW down, restart the machine and try again, it will be ok. I've had something similar happen once before - I thought I was doing something wrong but it wasn't the setup. It's never happened again.

Dominic

Dave Labrecque
07-02-2009, 05:49 PM
I bet if you shut SAW down, restart the machine and try again, it will be ok. I've had something similar happen once before - I thought I was doing something wrong but it wasn't the setup. It's never happened again.

Dominic

Dom,

Would you believe... I shut SAW down, restarted it, and tried again: all was OK! I've had something similar happen before - I thought I was doing something wrong but, apparently, it wasn't the setup. I hope it never happens again. :)

Oh, and then I went back to the forum and found your sage advice. Thanks. :p

I do get output routing trouble from time to time. Probably near impossible to fix, since no one's apparently seeing a recognizable pattern. :(

MMP
07-02-2009, 06:55 PM
One of the VSTis probably claimed an output channel without you knowing it. This can happen with multi output VSTs.

Regards,

MM

Dave Labrecque
07-02-2009, 07:37 PM
One of the VSTis probably claimed an output channel without you knowing it. This can happen with multi output VSTs.

Regards,

MM

Even though the VSTi's appear to assign their outputs to SS input channels?

MMP
07-03-2009, 03:28 AM
I can't remember the plugin, but I have seen this happen in a VSTi that could also work stand alone. Somehow the output mapping that was programmed in stand alone mode carried over to host mode, except for the first output which worked correctly in the host.

This was before I moved most all VSTis to a second computer & I don't remember the app now, as I have a VSTi acquisition problem-there I said it.:o:

Regards,

MM

DominicPerry
07-03-2009, 04:25 AM
Dave, glad you got it fixed.
Michael, no VSTi's here - I don't use them, so it isn't that which is causing the problem.

Dominic

MMP
07-03-2009, 04:59 AM
Well, it could be something similar.

If you are using your Saw audio interface as a Windows system device, any other audio producing program on the Windows machine will try to grab the next available port on the audio device, which if Saw is already using port 1, could well be the same as output 2 in Saw.

Or, it could be a bug in SAW. But I have seen this behavior when it was not SAW's fault, but Windows allocating the audio port to another program before SAW had a chance to claim it.

Regards,

MM

DominicPerry
07-03-2009, 05:24 AM

If you are using your Saw audio interface as a Windows system device, any other audio producing program on the Windows machine will try to grab the next available port on the audio device, which if Saw is already using port 1, could well be the same as output 2 in Saw.

Or, it could be a bug in SAW. But I have seen this behavior when it was not SAW's fault, but Windows allocating the audio port to another program before SAW had a chance to claim it.

Regards,

MM

Thanks for the explanation. I'll look out for this if it happens again. My new machine has NO windows sound driver or device so I hope it won't happen, but you never know.

Dominic

Dave Labrecque
07-03-2009, 09:52 AM
I can't remember the plugin, but I have seen this happen in a VSTi that could also work stand alone. Somehow the output mapping that was programmed in stand alone mode carried over to host mode, except for the first output which worked correctly in the host.

This was before I moved most all VSTis to a second computer & I don't remember the app now, as I have a VSTi acquisition problem-there I said it.:o:

Regards,

MM

Well, even if the guilty VSTi(s) remains shrouded in mystery, I commend you on your diagnostic success. Also on admitting your problem. That's the first step, you know. :p

Dave Labrecque
07-03-2009, 09:56 AM

Regards,

MM

That sounds like a different issue, though, than a stand-alone program carrying it's output assignments over to the in-host implementation, though, doesn't it?

FWIW... I did open GVI (GigaVirtualInstrument) in stand-alone mode sometime prior to this problem happening (in which the SS session did have a GVI instance using multiple assigned outs).

MMP
07-04-2009, 04:41 AM
The sameness is something claiming the sound card port before SAW does, locking SAW out.

Regards,

MM

Dave Labrecque
07-04-2009, 04:33 PM
The sameness is something claiming the sound card port before SAW does, locking SAW out.

Regards,

MM

Gotcha.